Brien's 2015 Halloween Costume Contest Entry

Brien

It's been awhile since I have been able to do a build as I was stuck in Liberia last Halloween. I get to be home this year so I talked my daughter into going as Hawkgirl.

I used the foam file found in JFcustoms thread.

Here's some progress pics.
Helmet in Progress 1.jpg

IMG_0624.JPG

A quick test fitting
FullSizeRender2.jpg

For paint I used some texture paint to cover the less than stellar seams in my build. I need to get away from hot glue...it's too damn messy.

FullSizeRender1.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg

For the final paint, I hit the whole thing with some translucent brown to give the color some depth.

Finished Helmet.jpg

Overall, this was a tough one to do in foam, especially since I had to scale it down for my 9 year old daughter. I imagine it would be easier with a larger scale. I am new to airbrushing, so using the new airbrush caused some issues.

The wings were a little daunting for me. Eventually I just downloaded some vectored feathers and used those to makes some templates. I didn't feel like cutting out dozens of foam feathers (oh how I miss the laser engraver at my old job) so I used those templates to make larger templates for rows of feathers.

Feather in progress.jpg

Once I had some feathers cut from foam, I fired up the airbrush and gave them some paint. I'm new to the airbrush and they could have been a lot better but they look pretty good. I am out of foam so more feathers will have to wait until the new rolls come in.
Feathers.jpg

So far, it's coming together pretty well. I have to go to the field for a week, so that's going to slow me down. The wings should go pretty quick once I get the foam. Just have to get the wife on the costume bits.

Last edited:
Re: Hawkgirl

that helmet looks great! i'm actually going to try to make the same one for my wife. can i ask what width foam you used? hope mine turns out half as good as this.

I used some 3mm dor the top to try to keep the shape better but the majority of it is 2mm. The back of the helmet, around the spikes, gets a bit fidgety but I sort of improvised. I used the texture from the pep file to come up with the templates for the additional wing features.

Looks sweet. Do you have any photos of the back of the helmet, I'm curious

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So, I was in the field for a week or so and I'm a little behind. Finally got back and had to finish cutting feather pieces and painting them.
image.jpgimage.jpg

I then hen bent some PVC over the top of the wings to give something to mount to the harness.
image.jpg

Finally put put together a harness using some MDF and PVC couplers. Just need a few feet of nylon straps so the girl can try it on.

image.jpg

For Justy
image.jpg

Need to to start on the chest piece and some boots.

Slight shift in design. Since the DC Superhero Girls webisodes have started popping up, my daughter would like to go as young Hawkgirl. The helmet is probably gone, replaced with sunglasses. Pics to follow.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back