McQuarrie Vader WIP Scratch Build & Research (Studio 49)

Today I was able to make some further progress on this and the shins really are shopping up quite nicely I have to say
Still more filling and sanding ahead but just seeing it start to take shape really is satisfying I have to say

First up is some pictures of the halves (also known as "bucks" which is what you Vac form over)
These give a pretty solid look at the shape of the foam before I start laying on the filler since the filler does make it harder to see details in photos
10A_zpsxaqbzjps.jpg

10B_zpshjljcphq.jpg

And of course here's where the shins sit currently with shaping and filling
11A_zpskn1c0iiv.jpg

11B_zpso6m1svga.jpg

11C_zps8gfoppk4.jpg

11D_zpsq2ftzfop.jpg

11E_zpscz9mz95u.jpg

11F_zpswwlhq91y.jpg

11G_zps9eva7mjs.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Last night, while waiting for the filler on the shins to dry I finally had the chance to sand and begin the paint up of my RMQ Vader Belt Buckle that I printed some many months back. So here's a few progress shots of it with the paint freshly applied. Coming along quite nicely actually

4A_zpsrgugr5ks.jpg

4B_zpskokv0ms7.jpg

4C_zpsrahhrykb.jpg

a really great build! i was wondering if there is a way to smoothen the paint and clear coat? would it help to sand it with say 2000 grid and polish it up again? im not experienced with paints at all but many areas of the face mask and especially the tusks look heavily coated and uneven. many thanks in advance :)

PS: i wouldnt have the balls to put such a huge logo on each pic xD . its a bit overkill dont you think?

a really great build! i was wondering if there is a way to smoothen the paint and clear coat? would it help to sand it with say 2000 grid and polish it up again? im not experienced with paints at all but many areas of the face mask and especially the tusks look heavily coated and uneven. many thanks in advance :)

Thank you for the compliments mate :)

I too am far from a paint expert myself as well, but what I can say is that the JRX RMQ bucket (at least one from his original run way back when) in all honesty is by ni means perfect, you can see that in the just how asymmetrical the rear of the bucket is. The along term plan is to grab one of Darth Stones RMQ Vader Buckets and Chest armour kits which I'll get painted in automative paint by a professional to make sure it has that wow factor ;)

This one is more just to get me over the line for now ;)

In the past few days I've been able to make some significant progress on the shins
First there was a plenty of filling, sanding and repeat

12A_zpsomqtrw8t.jpg

12B_zpsat0vll40.jpg

But once I had been able to build a up a thick enough layering of filler it was time for some pain application
I figured normal paint simply would not cut it when it came to vac form, super heated ABS and normal paint? Yep just easier to avoid that completely
So I bit the bullet and bought some Hi Temp Spray paint, the kind used for BBQ's, Cars and such. It'll withstand up to 540 degrees celsius which equates to 1004 degrees Fahrenheit
12C_zpsbteksfb0.jpg

So with some carful coats of paint later this is where the bucks got to!
I've got to say it feels good to seem them in a black colour
wink.gif

Next up is more filling and sanding now I can easily pick out all the imperfections and just generally peeping it for Vac forming down the line
biggrin.png

13A_zps25icqymz.jpg

13B_zpsnnk8fgij.jpg

13C_zpsu8otonuj.jpg

It never ends... Fantastic work so far! Looking forward to seeing more. :)

Very cool to watch the process!!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Thank you fellas for the compliments! It's been quit the long but journey so far (with still a heap left) but I'm throughly enjoying the challenge of having scratch build pretty well everything!

In fact I just get get excited when people actually reply to the thread here, especially considering this costume is niche even by by Star Wars standards so thank you gentlemen for the comments, they don't go unnoticed and I massively appreciated! :D

Great progress shots! Looking forward to the first pics of the full costume :thumbsup

One question/ suggestion...
You wrote about the shin armor being vacformed over these bucks you created, right?! Wouldn´t these need to feature sharper details, since you´re loosing some of it anyway...depending on the material thickness you´re using for vac-forming. Don´t have the Kotobukia statue/ armor details on hand, so if the shins are supposed to have that soft/ organic look, please ignore my post.

Great progress shots! Looking forward to the first pics of the full costume :thumbsup
Thank you mate really appreciate it!
And same here, simply cannot wait to do a suit up as well

One question/ suggestion...
You wrote about the shin armor being vacformed over these bucks you created, right?! Wouldn´t these need to feature sharper details, since you´re loosing some of it anyway...depending on the material thickness you´re using for vac-forming. Don´t have the Kotobukia statue/ armor details on hand, so if the shins are supposed to have that soft/ organic look, please ignore my post.
Yes you are correct I am planning to Vac Form these
And it's funny you should mention creating sharper features as that's actually what I have been working on currently with filler and shaping ;) I'll be sure to post pictures once I've finished doing it that's for sure :D

I'm going to be taking delivery of a little something for this build this coming Saturday...

All will be revealed soon enough but lets just say it's one of those Holy Grail parts that I've been chasing for years now ;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back