ILM Force Awakens CG ship renders. ULTRA high res.

Yeah, when I rewarded the prequels recently I couldn't believe how good TPM looked in comparison to the other two.

But the last time I saw it was on VHS

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Nope, Ep II was that. :)

My mistake, but my point remains the same, that the publicity machine for Ep. I was focused on the "digital studio" aspects of the movie and not the old "boring" practical stuff like models.

And there was a lot of film shot for Ep. II, just not "officially"!

I don't have a problem with CG models,...theres good & theres bad,...it depends how long the model maker & compositor has to spend on each shot,.....the big problem with the Prequels (effects-wise) was that there were too many optical effects,...sets, actors, vehicles......overload

J

One thing I think though, is that with CG they can end up not spending as much time doing things well--whenever I've gone through to get references for a CG vehicle from a movie I find that there are huge issues, usually because they don't spend as much time working on the model due to deadlines

For example, with the speeder chase in Episode 2 they had the CG model of the speeder but they also had live-action shots that they then needed to add things like reflections to the speeder, that type of thing is very common for car commercials for example. Only issue is, you need a completely accurate 3D model of the vehicle, and they only made the 3D model off photos of the prop. They didn't even use the blueprints, and that meant the CG model was not nearly accurate enough. What ended up was that every shot where they had to integrate the CG model with the real prop has some type of issue because they don't line up. And I mean some really really bad issues--like two sets of windshields and panels not lining up.
I think if you were to do it practically then more time would be spent getting things accurate

@Galactian Actually no, EP. II and EP III had some big miniatures built. Most notable uses are Geonosian Arena and Utapau.
ZZ4FB0F2C3.jpg

utapau-e1363677773140-500x277.jpg

@Galactian Actually no, EP. II and EP III had some big miniatures built. Most notable uses are Geonosian Arena and Utapau

He meant shot on digital cameras instead of film cameras, but those are some awesome models.

Last edited:
I'm not a PT fan but I will say some of the "bigatures" they made were neat. While I wish TFA had use physical ship models, I thought the movie had a good balance of CGI and practical. It's clear from JJ's standpoint that his emphasis was on catering to the actors to help them feel immersed in their surroundings. To that end, a practical model of a SD flying through space was not needed.

I really wanna have an accurate Kit of Kylo Rens shuttle from episode 7.I love this design.

Actually, I'm working on the Revell kit right now, and it's extremely accurate, down to the greeblie (size considerations aside). Looks to me like they used the ILM asset to base the proportions and details and pretty well nailed it. There is some stuff missing, and some resolution issues (octagonal parts that should be circles! Thanks smoothing renderer), but over all it's very good. Too bad the wings don't move.

Actually, I'm working on the Revell kit right now, and it's extremely accurate, down to the greeblie (size considerations aside). Looks to me like they used the ILM asset to base the proportions and details and pretty well nailed it. There is some stuff missing, and some resolution issues (octagonal parts that should be circles! Thanks smoothing renderer), but over all it's very good. Too bad the wings don't move.

Is it this one?

http://www.revell.de/produkte/star-wars/star-wars-episode-vii/id/06695.html

But studio scale would be 1:1 in this instance :p

Some folks here saying the T-70 is a new design, but it looks an awful lot like the Ralph McQuarrie designs to me. I'm planning on doing a Bandai kit with the McQuarrie markings like this one
23793173181_7b3f4446b1_b.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back