Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Jun 21, 2017, 7:15 AM - Re: Defining the OWK tunisia saber. Is it even possible? #151

Thank you for another flipped grenade photo @parfaitelumiere ! I still think the Tunisia Obi-Wan Kenobi Lightsaber was set up this way! Well, this way or with the double flat-ended Hales like the one in my post #135/#141.

Is that your steel RussRep?
    Last edited by Ridire Firean; Jun 21, 2017 at 7:21 AM. Reason: typo
  2. RPF Premium Member parfaitelumiere's Avatar
    Jun 21, 2017, 7:54 AM - Re: Defining the OWK tunisia saber. Is it even possible? #152

it's genuine original stuff.

I think the original is flipped too.
    I also think the tunisia may be the death tar with cone, or maybe there are at least 3 obi sabers...
    Jun 21, 2017, 9:51 AM - Re: Defining the OWK tunisia saber. Is it even possible? #153

I am entirely sure that the one used on Tunisia set is a different prop. One of the people who has worked on the original Star Wars confirmed it ages ago to my friend (a prop collector; sorry can't reveal his identity). They made prototypes. They made rubber copies. I'm not sure if they made resin copies for ANH but they surely did for ESB and ROTJ (yes, ESB ).

I personally know of 3 OB1 sabers, out of which one is in private collection, the other one is in the archives; and the third one is in collection of someone from the crew. But they made more than that (for ANH)
  4. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Jun 21, 2017, 1:02 PM - Re: Defining the OWK tunisia saber. Is it even possible? #154

parfaitelumiere said: View Post
    it's genuine original stuff.
    Double flat-end or bevel-ended?

LorduDesign said: View Post
    sorry can't reveal his identity. I personally know of 3 OB1 sabers, out of which one is in private collection, the other one is in the archives; and the third one is in collection of someone from the crew.
    BOUNTY HUNTERS OF THE UNIVERSE UNITE!!! 17,000 CREDITS ON THE CAPTURE OF @LorduDesign , we'll FORCE the info out of him with our Jedi Mind-tricks!

Seriously though, if that's true, and you're in contact with them, please ask them for some photos of their transistors, pommel caps, and grenades!!!
  5. RPF Premium Member parfaitelumiere's Avatar
    Jun 21, 2017, 1:08 PM - Re: Defining the OWK tunisia saber. Is it even possible? #155

bevel, it's just reversed here, it's not the display I use in general.
    Jun 21, 2017, 1:19 PM - Re: Defining the OWK tunisia saber. Is it even possible? #156

Now I know I shouldn't have mentioned that the saber is in collection hahaha. And yes, he's a good friend of mine.

That's not the saber you'd normally expect to see though. It's a stunt made for ANH, and then reused in ESB. So it doesn't have many details as seen in the hero prop, yet has many details that weren't seen in the hero prop. It's kind of a mix between Luke's ROTJ saber and OB1 ANH saber.

He said though that he will never upload pics online. Well, collectors haha. I can describe how it looks like though.

Most of them are quite secretive about their collections. I know someone who has got one of couple Luke sabers made for ESB and he's also really secretive about it.

As for the reason why they're secretive about it. Well, in most cases when someone has an item and reveals it to the collecting community or even RPF, there are many people who are saying it's fake etc. because they have never seen this variant of the item before. Even though the collectors in this case have acquired the items from production members (and quite important members as well) who had these items since the filming ended.
    From
    Los Angeles
    Jun 21, 2017, 2:00 PM - Re: Defining the OWK tunisia saber. Is it even possible? #157

A lot of acquired props may have basically been stolen at one point. The ESB/ROTJ Vader hero-- that one apparently "vanished" off the set. Howe the Prop House was able to buy it without Lucasfilm claiming it as their property I don't know. Same could be said for Brandon getting his hands on the V2.
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Jun 21, 2017, 4:24 PM - Re: Defining the OWK tunisia saber. Is it even possible? #158

I would love to know more about this Obi wan saber in private collection. So is this a v4 now?

Also you said there is a ANH obiwan on the archives? Are you sure of this? I am on a couple boards where people have gained access and have never seen a obiwan ANH in there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Jun 21, 2017, 4:25 PM - Re: Defining the OWK tunisia saber. Is it even possible? #159

Thanks LorduDesign for sharing whatever information you can and may reveal to us all ... finally Call me crazy yet I still have a hunch that Sir Alec Guinness was allowed to keep his lightsaber as a momento now that his character OB1 died on the Death Star never to be wielding one again . . . so perhaps we should start our search at the Guinness Estate?

@Ridire Firean ... now where can I collect my award?

Cha´m
    Jun 21, 2017, 4:35 PM - Re: Defining the OWK tunisia saber. Is it even possible? #160

halliwax said: View Post
    I would love to know more about this Obi wan saber in private collection. So is this a v4 now?

Also you said there is a ANH obiwan on the archives? Are you sure of this? I am on a couple boards where people have gained access and have never seen a obiwan ANH in there

There was indeed a saber in the archives. It wasn't a hero though. As far as I could get info from some prop collectors who visited the archives, it was just a resin casting made for ESB (it was unpainted casting).

But there was hero saber there ages ago. As @Sym-Cha I personally think it's in Sir Alec Guinness's family's collection at this very moment. Nothing can be confirmed without visiting them or contacting them though.

As for the saber, it's not used as a saber

In the Echo Base scene in the Empire Strikes Back you could see some rebels using some lightsaber-looking tools. This is the exact copy seen in the film. It's made out of resin. It was created for ANH but ultimately used in ESB, and possibly in ROTJ (also as background prop).

The prop itself has some interesting design elements. It has some elements from ROTJ Luke's saber (probably first prototyped for ANH but chosen for ROTJ).

As for more details, I'm not really an expert but I'm sure that @Sym-Cha can explain it in more detail because he has seen the saber as well (but please Cha´m explain it without photos ).
  11. Valar Morghulis RPF Premium Member Serenity's Avatar
    From
    over there
    Jun 21, 2017, 4:40 PM - Re: Defining the OWK tunisia saber. Is it even possible? #161

Jun 21, 2017, 4:46 PM - Re: Defining the OWK tunisia saber. Is it even possible? #162

Serenity said: View Post
    Yes, that's the one. They made couple of these. My friend also got info from one of special effects people from ANH that it looked like one of the stunt sabers but in my opinion it isn't (basing solely on the appearance of the prop).
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Jun 21, 2017, 5:36 PM - Re: Defining the OWK tunisia saber. Is it even possible? #163

To make an easier mold for resin castings of the existing OB1 ANH Hero prop ... Roger Shaw added some extra stuff to fill in the fins of the booster section as well as the windvane of the grenade and the vertical cuts in the grenade ... as the activation board is more like Luke's in ROTJ than the regular bubblestrip the resin stunt looks rather closer to Luke's ROTJ than OB1 ANH. So indeed next to the OB1 ANH V1, we have the Tunesia V2, The shared Stunt V3 and as it seems several resin and even rubber castings V4

Cha´m
    Jun 21, 2017, 5:59 PM - Re: Defining the OWK tunisia saber. Is it even possible? #164

Sym-Cha said: View Post
    To make an easier mold for resin castings of the existing OB1 ANH Hero prop ... Roger Shaw added some extra stuff to fill in the fins of the booster section as well as the windvane of the grenade and the vertical cuts in the grenade ... as the activation board is more like Luke's in ROTJ than the regular bubblestrip the resin stunt looks rather closer to Luke's ROTJ than OB1 ANH. So indeed next to the OB1 ANH V1, we have the Tunesia V2, The shared Stunt V3 and as it seems several resin and even rubber castings V4

Cha´m
    Also not to mention they made some fiberglass copies as well
    From
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Jun 21, 2017, 8:01 PM - Re: Defining the OWK tunisia saber. Is it even possible? #165

Very cool to hear about the OWK rubber copies, multiple variants of the heavy real OWK prop and the resin one used on ESBs set. We can see it in the BTS video of the first stunt blades I believe, if the pommel end has a hollow hole, like it's a shell casting.

Thanks for any more info you can share, or if we have it wrong, straightening us out
  16. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Jun 21, 2017, 8:10 PM - Re: Defining the OWK tunisia saber. Is it even possible? #166

@Ridire Firean ... now where can I collect my award? Cha´m
    Hey, Chaim. Look, Chaim, I was just on my way to pay you back, but I got a little sidetracked! It's not my fault...

And, since the Jedi Mind-trick is working because he started gabbing without being captured, and well, ya know, he doesn't get the reward either for turning himself in.

@LorduDesign You did not read this post. (Waves hand). You will continue to spill the beans on your friends. (Waves hand). The pictures you have will be posted here. (Waves hand). Post along. Post Along. (Waves hand).
    From
    Los Angeles
    Jun 21, 2017, 8:15 PM - Re: Defining the OWK tunisia saber. Is it even possible? #167

Somebody break this down for the guide-- cause I'm confused...
  18. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Jun 21, 2017, 8:19 PM - Re: Defining the OWK tunisia saber. Is it even possible? #168

so perhaps we should start our search at the Guinness Estate?
    I'm not a big fan of their stout, but if they have a lite, or a wheat, I'm all in! When were you planning to make the trip?
    From
    Philadelphia, PA, USA
    Jun 21, 2017, 9:36 PM - Re: Defining the OWK tunisia saber. Is it even possible? #169

@LorduDesign, thanks so much for sharing what you know! It is exciting to think that more original props still exist out there somewhere. It means we still can hope to see them one day, even if their current owners want to keep them a secret outside the prop collecting elite. It could be decades from now one goes up for auction, or just suddenly comes into the possession of a collector like Brandon who is willing to reveal it to the larger community.

It also shows how little we know in terms of how many versions of these props were made.
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Jun 22, 2017, 5:14 AM - Re: Defining the OWK tunisia saber. Is it even possible? #170

Ridire Firean said: View Post
    I'm not a big fan of their stout, but if they have a lite, or a wheat, I'm all in! When were you planning to make the trip?
    I'm already standing at their door right now ... where the **** have you been?

And you can 'wave' your hand as much as you like and mumble 'curses' our way ... you clearly have no idea how much energy it costs us to refrain from posting those few pictures we've seen ever since we made a solemn pledge to the current owner. Personally I'd still like to know where the original all vintage parts hero is above revealing the resin version 4.

And yes Jedi Reali it's good to know that there are many more variants still out there ... eventhough the OB1 ANH with all vintage parts will be the last lightsaber I finish. I was hoping for an accurate Shared Stunt which got side-tracked by the V2 run ... so for now I'm done.

Cha´m
  21. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Jun 22, 2017, 12:32 PM - Re: Defining the OWK tunisia saber. Is it even possible? #171

I'm already standing at their door right now ... where the **** have you been? Cha´m
    I'm stuck in a Customs holding cell buddy, can you bail a friend out? They didn't believe me when they checked my bag and started asking what all the metal objects were. "Well that's a sink drain, and that's a vintage motorcycle footpeg, that one's an exhaust clamp, this one's a pinion gear, and the last one is a sink knob." I said. They started in on me that I was importing without a license and I finally broke down and told them it was a Star Wars prop. Unfortunately I assembled it to show them I was telling them the truth, and then the one dude recognized it as a lightsaber, apparently he watched too many movies, 'cuz he yelled "That's the WEAPON of a Jedi Knight!", the other guys heard 'weapon' and since I was the one holding it, I'm the one that got tased and piled upon. Either I missed the joke, or the English really don't have a sense of humor.

You may keep your V4 photos hidden. (Waves hand).

Seriously though, I lost interest at not the HERO. Not that I don't find it neat to know, I'm just not sure how much information there is to gain about the HERO from a casting that sounds so heavily modified. Now, if you can still see what kind of lip the grenade had, and all of the pitting it may or may not have had that wasn't all filled in during the modification of it, REG DES was visible in the cast and the like, that'd be very exciting, it just doesn't sound like that information is there from what you guys are alluding to.

@SethS raises a good question, Are there reprecussions for people having walked off set with a prop 40 years ago? Assuming they're not in showbusiness anymore, would Lucas/Disney go after them for revealing they were the one that stole it out from under the nose of the propmaster?

With any hope of ever seeing it again, I volunteer that whoever currently has possesion of the Obi-Wan Kenobi HERO(es) returns them to Lucas to be included in the Star Wars Museum. Unless of course it was buried with Sir Alec, and then in that case, I'm O.K. with him keeping it. He was Obi-Wan after all!
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Jun 22, 2017, 4:09 PM - Re: Defining the OWK tunisia saber. Is it even possible? #172

SethS said: View Post
    Somebody break this down for the guide-- cause I'm confused...
    And here I am waiting for you to update the guide so I can understand what the hell im reading lol

From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Jun 22, 2017, 4:14 PM - Re: Defining the OWK tunisia saber. Is it even possible? #173

Ridire Firean said: View Post
    I'm stuck in a Customs holding cell buddy, can you bail a friend out? They didn't believe me when they checked my bag and started asking what all the metal objects were. "Well that's a sink drain, and that's a vintage motorcycle footpeg, that one's an exhaust clamp, this one's a pinion gear, and the last one is a sink knob." I said. They started in on me that I was importing without a license and I finally broke down and told them it was a Star Wars prop. Unfortunately I assembled it to show them I was telling them the truth, and then the one dude recognized it as a lightsaber, apparently he watched too many movies, 'cuz he yelled "That's the WEAPON of a Jedi Knight!", the other guys heard 'weapon' and since I was the one holding it, I'm the one that got tased and piled upon. Either I missed the joke, or the English really don't have a sense of humor.

You may keep your V4 photos hidden. (Waves hand).

Seriously though, I lost interest at not the HERO. Not that I don't find it neat to know, I'm just not sure how much information there is to gain about the HERO from a casting that sounds so heavily modified. Now, if you can still see what kind of lip the grenade had, and all of the pitting it may or may not have had that wasn't all filled in during the modification of it, REG DES was visible in the cast and the like, that'd be very exciting, it just doesn't sound like that information is there from what you guys are alluding to.

@SethS raises a good question, Are there reprecussions for people having walked off set with a prop 40 years ago? Assuming they're not in showbusiness anymore, would Lucas/Disney go after them for revealing they were the one that stole it out from under the nose of the propmaster?

With any hope of ever seeing it again, I volunteer that whoever currently has possesion of the Obi-Wan Kenobi HERO(es) returns them to Lucas to be included in the Star Wars Museum. Unless of course it was buried with Sir Alec, and then in that case, I'm O.K. with him keeping it. He was Obi-Wan after all!
    I think the easiest way out of the whole stolen prop thing is..

All they would have to say is it was a gift from joe momma or some random name that worked on the set

I think if Lucas film wanted them back, and they were given back with out a problem the owner of the "stolen" prop would face charges

But if they want to stay and fight.. they are in for a long expensive losing run...

Heck a long lost STOLEN r2 dome has resurfaced on a auction site asking a ridiculous amount of money.. lucasfilm and George Lucas himself haven't done a thing yet

From
    Los Angeles
    Jun 22, 2017, 4:25 PM - Re: Defining the OWK tunisia saber. Is it even possible? #174

halliwax said: View Post
    And here I am waiting for you to update the guide so I can understand what the hell im reading lol

I THINK what we are reading is:

1. That a few differences have been recently spotted on grenade details that point to at least 3 different heroes (Tunisia, Death Star, and Chronicles), which I have mentioned in the guide already.

2. That outside of the V2 and V3 shared stunts which we know to be metal, there were several additional stunts made from resin and/or rubber whose greeblies maybe have inspired the direction of how the V2 and V3 were altered for ROTJ

3. Roger Shaw seems to have created the prop, not Roger Christian.
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Jun 22, 2017, 4:41 PM - Re: Defining the OWK tunisia saber. Is it even possible? #175

SethS said: View Post
    I THINK what we are reading is:

1. That a few differences have been recently spotted on grenade details that point to at least 3 different heroes (Tunisia, Death Star, and Chronicles), which I have mentioned in the guide already.

2. That outside of the V2 and V3 shared stunts which we know to be metal, there were several additional stunts made from resin and/or rubber whose greeblies maybe have inspired the direction of how the V2 and V3 were altered for ROTJ

3. Roger Shaw seems to have created the prop, not Roger Christian.
    We need to find this roger Shaw, capture and interrogate him!! Who's with me! I'll get the torches!!