Defining the OWK tunisia saber. Is it even possible?

Yeah, it only seems to be inverted (grenade and cubes) in Tunsia.

Even as a Obi saber enthusiasts, this isn't a version I'm interested in replicating, although I'm fascinated with the new information.

Wow re-reading that whole thread . . . it sure felt like we're going in circles after all that time . . . or more like a vortex or spiral loop? With the only 'new' add being that the grenade windvane stem seems to be attached on the bottom end of the No.3MkI grenade :wacko So OB1's lightsaber prop was cobbled up together in the UK by Bapty, then before being transported to Tunesia taken apart completely for a safe passage accross the border (?) ... and finally re-cobbled back together on set in Tunesia by someone else unknown of the original composition of the vintage parts thus giving us the Tunesia saber?

Chaim

This theory doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me. Whatever is going on with the slope of the top most ring on the frag body of the Tunisia pic, I do not think it's a backwards grenade. The reason being that a the bottom ridge of the MK 1 just isn't thick enough to match what I see in the Tunisia pic. Also, putting the grenade on backwards is counterintuative and if it was the same grenade as the Chronicles saber, the sloped section couldn't be grabbed by the graflex clamp.

So, I'm against that theory.

Also, the grenade in the Tunisia saber looks to be in a lot worse condition then the Chronicles grenade.

Also, the brass stem on the Tunisia saber looks way different to me then the Chronicles saber. Much thinner and shorter between the windvain and the grenade on the Tunisia saber.

I'm with ya James. I've always been more interested in replicating Mechismo/Chronicles myself. I do love a mystery, and would love to play a small part in nailing down the Tunisia saber.

obiTunisiaasymetrical.jpg
I also think that the grooves in the grenade are asymmetrical.

Dan

One of the reasons why I'm speculating that the grenade may have been like the one at the Imperial War Museum
Like this
large.jpg

Is because when I look at the groove bysecting the last ring on the frag grenade (something no present at all on the chronicles saber)
It is uniform and straight.

Now if the grenade had a slope towards the front of the frag body, as is usually the case, this groove would flare out on the thicker section and then fade out at the slope increased.
Instead of seeing this ----------- we'd see this <> like we do on most no 3 MKIIs and on no 20s
Page1No3mk2.jpg

A couple years ago, Serafino used this logic to argue that the groove in the top most ring was just a weird photographic glitch.
He argued that a consistent straight thin groove could not appear on a no 3 grenade body because of the geometry of the slop on the frag body.
If someone has the pics he used to make his argument on file, please re-post them here

But that was before we discovered this weird variant of the Hales grenade.
And I think my model with the straight top ring shows a very similar groove to the Tunisia saber

[img}http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=528301&d=1442204825&thumb=1[/img]

What I think I'm seeing is a frag body like the one at the IWM, where the machinist pulled the cutting tool away from the frag body as it ran up the body, but did not pull it back far enough and left just enough tool in the way that he grazed the tip of the cutting aginst the end of the frag body leaving a thin uniform line in the top most ring.

Also, lets compare the brass stems.

OB1 Chronicles vs Tunesia_stem.jpg

To my eyes, These two pics have to show two different brass grenade stems.

Look how much closer the windvain is to the frag body on the Tunisia saber.

Now some of you may say, the windvain screws up and down, maybe they just screwed it down farther. My response will be that on a regular no3 grenade, it does not screw down that much farther. I've tried to replicate the Tunisia saber look using the brass stems from over 4 different original grenades. I have never been able to get the windvain that close to the frag body.

But the weird IWM grenade with it's sunken brass stem really seems to do the trick in my eyes
large.jpg

I'm torn. I now see the extra smaller corner that happens when you try to put the neck in the bottom. That right angle/ridge is very obvious to me now - however these grenades look nothing alike to me either. The cantina absolutely has the grenade the right way up.

I don't think the last ring by the wind-vane is as thick as you may think (on Tunisia saber). I think it's an optical illusion caused by the wind-vane not sinking completely in to the grenade... giving it the illusion of being thicker.

This is a very good point. I hadn't thought of that - are our eyes deceiving us in that the Tunisia grenade looks much more beat up?

Also, lets compare the brass stems.

View attachment 528680

To my eyes, These two pics have to show two different brass grenade stems.

Look how much closer the windvain is to the frag body on the Tunisia saber.

Now some of you may say, the windvain screws up and down, maybe they just screwed it down farther. My response will be that on a regular no3 grenade, it does not screw down that much farther. I've tried to replicate the Tunisia saber look using the brass stems from over 4 different original grenades. I have never been able to get the windvain that close to the frag body.

It's the exact opposite problem IMO... in order for me to get my wind vane as far up as it appears to be in the Chronicles pictures, I have to unscrew it almost to the point where it's coming off the thread; hence why you can see the hole in the stem so clearly. Otherwise, the windvanes on my grenades that I have sit fairly close to the frag body when screwed in all of the way.

Here's something else to chew on.

Here is a picture of an OWK saber I made a while back wherein I combined a no 3 mk 2 frag body with a no 3 mk1 brass stem. In order to try and copy the Tunisia saber, I screwed down the windvain as far as it would go. This is what I came up with. Some people in this thread have theorized that a combo of the two grenades could be what we're seeing. But to my eyes, the MK2 grenade frag body is just too small on that last ridge, and the stem of a MK1 is just too long between the frag body and windvain. That's what keep pointing me back to the no slope Hales grenade
owk5.jpg

It's the exact opposite problem IMO... in order for me to get my wind vane as far up as it appears to be in the Chronicles pictures, I have to unscrew it almost to the point where it's coming off the thread; hence why you can see the hole in the stem so clearly. Otherwise, the windvanes on my grenades that I have sit fairly close to the frag body when screwed in all of the way.

The neck I got off Ed has threading coming almost halfway down the holes in the side. So I'm in the same boat if I want the wind vane up that high, it's barely holding onto anything.

OB1%20Chronicles%20vs%20Tunesia2_zpsuitt5xpv.JPG

This grenade, being seen on the Tunesia saber, remains to be a mystery . . . however your No.3MkII certainly looks more beat up the same as the Tunesia grenade, than the one seen in Mechanismo/Chronicles books . . . and I concur since there were a multitude of Luke's and Vader's sabers available just in case ... why not at least 2 OB1's made of vintage parts?

Chaim

Last edited:
No. I disagree. The Tunisia grenade is NOT that beat-up. It's the picture that is bad. Just look at the handwheel... even that looks "beat up", but we know that at that time the handwheels were brand new.

I could drop a windvane in to a motorcycle grip, but that doesn't make my theory more valid.

Sorry. The easiest explanation is usually correct. I believe they just had the frag body upside down in the tunisia photo. Just like the handwheel cubes. FOR SOME REASON it WAS disassembled and then reassembled.

But good discussion. ;)

Is that the grenade I sold you, or a different one?

Nope it's a different one.

- - - Updated - - -

Just look at the handwheel... even that looks "beat up", but we know that at that time the handwheels were brand new.

Not sure why you would assume that the handwheels were brand new. Tunisia pic, I can clearly see that the plating has been worn off of the edges of one of the cubes

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back