The Video Game Thread - anything and everything...

Still looking for a solid single player fps experience. Might have to bite on the next battlefront game.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Have you tried COD Modern Warfare? They have a remastered version (updated for the new platforms) that came out not too long ago. I just got it for PS4 for $40.

Sean

Have you tried COD Modern Warfare? They have a remastered version (updated for the new platforms) that came out not too long ago. I just got it for PS4 for $40.

Sean

Yeah, if I pick that up, it'll probably be the bundle with Infinite Warfare.

I don't ever play COD games for the multiplayer, though. Just the single player. And I tend to prefer them on PC where I can screw around with godmode and mods and stuff.

Yeah, if I pick that up, it'll probably be the bundle with Infinite Warfare.

I don't ever play COD games for the multiplayer, though. Just the single player. And I tend to prefer them on PC where I can screw around with godmode and mods and stuff.

In France we have to buy Infinity Warfare to unlock (via a code) MW.....:(
And you ???

I think it can be purchased separately. But it's almost the full price of a regular game. Like $40, I think. Not sure how that translates to euros.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

A retro game console with HDMI, what a shame.......
I still maintain that the Nes mini is just an emulator (just as the Snes mini). We can find emulators for free.....

Yes, i'm a retro gamer, i'm living in the past :lol

- - - Updated - - -

Wich game console do you use ?
The PS4

Anyone playing Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice? I watched a letsplay of the first 30 minutes and it seems great.

I just finished it. Incredible game!!! It has real depth which I love in games. Very short at only 6 to 8 hours of gameplay but well worth it. I couldn't recommend playing it enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been playing through some games I got from GOG and sometimes old games aren't as good as you remember. I played the Full Throttle remaster and I forgot how short this game was. I finished it and despite some really funny lines in it, it doesn't come across as that great of a game now.

Next I started LucasArts' The Dig, which I didn't play when it was out. I forgot how freaking hard it is to play some of these adventure games because some of the solutions are things you'd never figure out for days unless you look it up! There's one puzzle where you're supposed to restore power, and the alien console is a bunch of shapes. I start randomly pushing things, then look it up. You have to program a robot, which doesn't even appear to let you know to program a robot until you input a series of commands that the game in no way tells you how to do... How in the heck would you ever figure that out without help?!?! Oh and then that was after I had to reload a way earlier save because I fell down a hole (which you can't get back up through). before I got an item that doesn't let you continue if you don't have it!

If you like 3rd person, get all three Mass Effect games. They are kind of RPG light with 3rd person action. They also have a really great story. Well, up to the last 5 mins. or so of ME3...

Hey, I wanted to talk with you about Mass Effect again.

I recently did some browsing and was about to buy them all for PS3, but then I had reservations upon watching video footage. And I did this time and again in many parts of the games and it never seemed to change.

What is so fun and great about the games? Honestly, from the gameplay, two things stuck out as being very unappealing to me:

1. It's third person, yet 90% of the footage, wherever they're at in the game, you walk around with your gun fully drawn at all times. To me, this is akin to playing GTA V in aiming mode. Not very fun. No matter what part or game, it was always the same. Why does it do this? Can you not do this?

2. Way too many branching answers when it comes to dialogue, to the point I noticed some pretty obvious errors, where some end results would completely ignore a choice entirely. Why even have those if they don't actually lead into the conversation?

I just can't force myself to buy them from what I've seen, so I want to know from someone with a glowing recommendation why they're that good. I didn't see it, honestly.

I didn't buy ME1 until it was about a year old for the 3rd person reason. You can easily get used to it. It doesn't hamper shooting at all. Well with a mouse. Your gun is only drawn when you're in combat. Outside combat you just walk around normally.

As for dialogue, there actually aren't that many options. You usually can be a good guy or a jerk. I don't think that really comes into play until the second game with the Paragon and Renegade. Usually dialogue options, and squad choices, lead to who lives or dies in certain circumstances (like once per game, not all the time), or who shows up in a certain position in the game. There's really no extraneous dialogue that doesn't make a difference. There is a mission in ME2 that ended up being never discussed again, even though they made a big deal about it. That was because the original writer (Drew Karpyshyn) left after that game.

I would get the first game, which should be pretty cheap, and see if you like it. It actually has a pretty self contained story so even if it's not your thing, you won't feel like you missed the rest of the story by not playing the other games. Other than that, it's got one of the best stories (except last 5-10 minutes of ME3 IMO) of any video game and great characters. You actually want to talk to the characters in this.

Managed to score a Nintendo SNES mini off of Think Geek. Freaking bots everywhere. Between my wife and I logging on to multiple sights trying to get one during Friday's release, you would see multiple sites post in stock, and then a second later say sold out. Still don't see how we did it. Really looking forward to playing these cool retro games with the kids.

I didn't buy ME1 until it was about a year old for the 3rd person reason. You can easily get used to it. It doesn't hamper shooting at all. Well with a mouse. Your gun is only drawn when you're in combat. Outside combat you just walk around normally.

As for dialogue, there actually aren't that many options. You usually can be a good guy or a jerk. I don't think that really comes into play until the second game with the Paragon and Renegade. Usually dialogue options, and squad choices, lead to who lives or dies in certain circumstances (like once per game, not all the time), or who shows up in a certain position in the game. There's really no extraneous dialogue that doesn't make a difference. There is a mission in ME2 that ended up being never discussed again, even though they made a big deal about it. That was because the original writer (Drew Karpyshyn) left after that game.

I would get the first game, which should be pretty cheap, and see if you like it. It actually has a pretty self contained story so even if it's not your thing, you won't feel like you missed the rest of the story by not playing the other games. Other than that, it's got one of the best stories (except last 5-10 minutes of ME3 IMO) of any video game and great characters. You actually want to talk to the characters in this.

It's just weird that every single play through I can find of it has everyone walking with their gun drawn 100% of the time. It gave that impression.

How is it on console vs PC? I generally have no issues playing a third person shooter on console.

(Please quote me, so I'll see your reply. I didn't think to check this until now because I got no notification)

It's just weird that every single play through I can find of it has everyone walking with their gun drawn 100% of the time. It gave that impression.

How is it on console vs PC? I generally have no issues playing a third person shooter on console.

(Please quote me, so I'll see your reply. I didn't think to check this until now because I got no notification)

Every mission where there's combat, you'll have your gun drawn. If you're outside combat your weapons are folded up on your back and belt. I can't speak to console, I've only played it on PC. IMO you can aim better with a mouse so I had no problem.

Every mission where there's combat, you'll have your gun drawn. If you're outside combat your weapons are folded up on your back and belt. I can't speak to console, I've only played it on PC. IMO you can aim better with a mouse so I had no problem.

So the gun drawing doesn't cease when on missions? Hmm... And that's not cumbersome?

I'll have to view more footage before I decide to buy or not. I'm just trying to imagine any third person shooter I like where you can't just hold your gun without drawing it in a mission... hmm. It doesn't happen. I don't know if I would find that annoying or not.

Last edited:
I haven't played it for awhile, but according to Google you can holster you weapons. When you're on a mission, stuff is shooting at you, so it's not really that big of a deal.

Why isn’t anyone doing Nightfall raids or leviathan raids on Destiny 2? I’m having a hell of a time finding clan mates to squad up and you need 6 @ least

Why isn’t anyone doing Nightfall raids or leviathan raids on Destiny 2? I’m having a hell of a time finding clan mates to squad up and you need 6 @ least

Because theyre not fun at all???

I LOVED Nightfalls in the first game...challenging, but a ton of fun. In this game?? The "if you don't finish in time" modifiers suck the fun out of it and make it feel like a chore. You constantly feel rushed, and it's just not at all entertaining.

The Raid?? The perfection it requires to complete is a bit ridiculous. Limiting the number of revives is a poor design choice in my opinion. The "stealth" portion of the Pleasure Gardens is clunky and glitchy. Bungie should have learned after the Gorgons in VoG that they don't do stealth well. The Gauntlet requires a ton of communication and solid teamwork, and if you've got one guy that struggles when it has everyone run then it's basically a wipe. Callus himself is extremely irritating because of the Psions that launch you in the air with their grenades...which means that one guy gets hit with one of those and it's a wipe, unless you sent four into the Void, which means you need two 304-ish players controlling the throne room on their own. This leaves the Baths, which in my opinion is the only fun section of the Raid, other than opening the doors in Castellum. Heck, even getting your rewards is a chore as you navigate the underbelly of the ship.

The whole thing feels more like work than a game. I have finished every section multiple times, and defeated Callus once...and I honestly don't care if I ever finish it again. In my opinion, it is just an irritating mess that doesn't bring me any joy at all.

Last edited:
Mario Odyssey for Switch is pretty amazing.

I still plan on getting a Switch just for Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart possibly in January unless there are some black Friday sales beforehand. Still want to upgrade my video card on the PC to get my Total War Warhammer on. The best thing about Mario Odyssey I have heard from reviews is that they are saying it is pretty much the true sequel to Mario 64 which means it's the Mario game I had been waiting for since Mario 64. Never got into Mario Sunshine or the Galaxy series. Dare I say I even hope Nintendo also go down the remaster route and give us a remaster of Mario 64?

EDIT: Also completely forgot my original intention of popping in to this post; if there are any fans of Nintendo's old Advance Wars military strategy series, November 21st Tiny Metal (aka Advance Wars 3d) is being released for Switch, Steam and PS4. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXx0c1XbR4A

Additionally, Chucklefish of Stardew Valley fame are doing an Advance Wars style game called Wargroove using the traditional 2d graphics the series is known for, except set in a medieval fantasy setting for the first time. Also coming to Switch, PS4 and Steam in early 2018. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_O9Py2QK3E

It's also set to include a story, map and campaign editor on each platform and Chucklefish have also said the game will likely be open to complete modding on the PC, which obviously means Game of Thrones Advance Wars and or The Black Company Advance Wars. Or even historical based mods now that I think of it.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back