The Video Game Thread - anything and everything...

I can't get into those Assassin's Creed games. I got the Black Flag one free with my video card years ago and I played about 20 minutes. Stealth games always end up with me trying to sneak then getting killed by a mob when I inevitably slip up.

I never got into them either, but the previous game, Origins, changed up the format a bit to be more action rpg like The Witcher and its really cool

I can't get into those Assassin's Creed games. I got the Black Flag one free with my video card years ago and I played about 20 minutes. Stealth games always end up with me trying to sneak then getting killed by a mob when I inevitably slip up.

I've been watching the Mighty Jingles play Assasin's Creed Odyssey and watching it is making me seriously think of getting it. I only played through part of the first one and I thought it was really repetitive and the save system sucked and made things fustrating, but this one looks really good though. I think it might be my next game after I've finished playing through Battletech. Hopefully there's enough time before Cyberpunk comes out to finish AC.

Speaking of Battletech, anyone here playing it? I'm pretty close to finishing, I'm on the third or fourth (I think) to last story mission, the timed one where you have to take out the 3 generators. So far, that's proving to be a bit of pain, it's proving a touch tricky to get to the second and third generators before time runs out. But I think I figured out how to do it since the last time around I went the wrong way and took too long.

Last edited:
Oh yea, Battletech is great. haven't beat it yet, just been flying around doing contract after contract for money and salvage to build more toys.
Got a pretty solid lance of Highlander with gauss/2xPPC, Highlander with 4xLRM15, Stalker with 5xLargeLaser, 4th slot I change out depending on the mission, Atlas with 2xAC10+, with assorted backup weapons for double chance at insta headshots, or a King Crab with AC20/4xSRM6

I've been watching the Mighty Jingles play Assasin's Creed Odyssey and watching it is making me seriously think of getting it. I only played through part of the first one and I thought it was really repetitive and the save system sucked and made things fustrating, but this one looks really good though. I think it might be my next game after I've finished playing through Battletech. Hopefully there's enough time before Cyberpunk comes out to finish AC.

Speaking of Battletech, anyone here playing it? I'm pretty close to finishing, I'm on the third or fourth (I think) to last story mission, the timed one where you have to take out the 3 generators. So far, that's proving to be a bit of pain, it's proving a touch tricky to get to the second and third generators before time runs out. But I think I figured out how to do it since the last time around I went the wrong way and took too long.

Cyberpunk 2077 is so far off I am actually going to hold off getting the PS4 version as I fully expect it to release around the time the PS5 will be coming out and like with games like GTAV and Last of Us there will probably be an upscaled port pumped out for the next gen consoles. I actually have Battletech but am holding off on playing it until the expansion comes out in November. I already have it pre-ordered on steam. On console I have an immense backlog and am still going through Dragon Quest XI and on PC I've been playing Deep Sky Derelicts and just bought RimWorld.

Also some intense rumors going around now about the future of the Metal Gear series which has me cautiously optimistic.

Last edited by a moderator:
For all of you Battletech players or future players, as a bit of an FYI, there's an interesting accomplishment in the game, you get it for
killing an Orion, with a Precision Shot to the head, with an AC20
. I found it to be a rather odd accomplishments and a very specific one too, even though I got it a few days ago, I'm still kind of surprised that I got it since it was so unexpected.

Last edited:
For all of you Battletech players or future players, as a bit of an FYI, there's an interesting accomplishment in the game, you get it for [spoilers]killing an Orion, with a Precision Shot to the head, with an AC20[/spoilers]. I found it to be a rather odd accomplishments and a very specific one too, even though I got it a few days ago, I'm still kind of surprised that I got it since it was so unexpected.

I remember playing the last Mechwarrior 4 multiplayer and this guy was constantly one shot killing people. Eventually we figured out that if you hit right to the cockpit it was a headshot. So he was killing people with a gauss rifle (I think...). I could never pull it off correctly. It was more fun to blow their leg off then run circles around them finishing them off. :lol

I remember playing the last Mechwarrior 4 multiplayer and this guy was constantly one shot killing people. Eventually we figured out that if you hit right to the cockpit it was a headshot. So he was killing people with a gauss rifle (I think...). I could never pull it off correctly. It was more fun to blow their leg off then run circles around them finishing them off. :lol

Headshots are hard in the new Battletech too, but I got lucky in that particular mission and actually managed two succesful called shots to the head.

Depending on how many and what kind of mechs are on the field I vary my called shots. If I need to clear the field some I'll just do called shots to center torso to get them our of the way, this works really well with light and some medium mechs because, these days, I'm fielding a mix of heavy and assault mechs in my lance. If I'm not in that big of a hurry, got heavier mechs, or if it's a mech I really want to salvage I'll go for a combination of the side torsos and legs. Blow one leg off and the mech falls and the pilot takes an injury, blow off a side torso that's an injury as well, 3-4 injuries and the pilot is down for the count and you can get full salvage from the mech, thus earning a free mech to sell or add to your lance/collection. But I have a hard time with that because I end up doing so much damage to center torso in the process that I'm seldomly able to knock the pilot out without blowing up the entire mech first.

With Called Shot Mastery and the right weapons, headshots are still worth going for. AC10 with bonus damage is enough to take it out in 1 shot. Even with the balance patch they did a while back to morale/precision shot, its worth trying for depending on the situation. Especially once you get to fighting mostly assault mechs. Either use turns to burn thru all that armor while getting shot at, or use a couple turns to land that lucky one hit kill for full salvage. Still its best to take a somewhat well rounded approach so you don't get RNG screwed. Good STAB damage for knockdowns is great, I try to keep a mix of energy and ammo based builds now after running out of ammo in a mission with no lasers left and got cheesed by turrets.

Headshots are hard in the new Battletech too, but I got lucky in that particular mission and actually managed two succesful called shots to the head.

Depending on how many and what kind of mechs are on the field I vary my called shots. If I need to clear the field some I'll just do called shots to center torso to get them our of the way, this works really well with light and some medium mechs because, these days, I'm fielding a mix of heavy and assault mechs in my lance. If I'm not in that big of a hurry, got heavier mechs, or if it's a mech I really want to salvage I'll go for a combination of the side torsos and legs. Blow one leg off and the mech falls and the pilot takes an injury, blow off a side torso that's an injury as well, 3-4 injuries and the pilot is down for the count and you can get full salvage from the mech, thus earning a free mech to sell or add to your lance/collection. But I have a hard time with that because I end up doing so much damage to center torso in the process that I'm seldomly able to knock the pilot out without blowing up the entire mech first.

With Called Shot Mastery and the right weapons, headshots are still worth going for. AC10 with bonus damage is enough to take it out in 1 shot. Even with the balance patch they did a while back to morale/precision shot, its worth trying for depending on the situation. Especially once you get to fighting mostly assault mechs. Either use turns to burn thru all that armor while getting shot at, or use a couple turns to land that lucky one hit kill for full salvage. Still its best to take a somewhat well rounded approach so you don't get RNG screwed. Good STAB damage for knockdowns is great, I try to keep a mix of energy and ammo based builds now after running out of ammo in a mission with no lasers left and got cheesed by turrets.

I agree, I do enjoy going to the occasional headshot figuring that even if I miss, I'm probably going to still hit the center torso anyway. I also go for the stability damage, every mech in my lance is capable of doing stab damage to one degree or another. My best is my Orion missile boat which is equipped with 2xLRM 15 & 1xLRM 20 and one of the 15s and the 20 has bonus stab damage.

I still play my 360, though my stepson has an Xbox one.
I haven't bought a brand new game in forever, usually hit up eBay, Amazon and the various second hand gaming shops like disc traders or game stop.

Current game obsession is Diablo III. And I picked up The Force Unleashed I and II last weekend.
I play the Marvel and Star Wars games for Disney Infinity 3.0 & 2.0, and pretty much any of the Lego games.

I have a few of the Xbox original games that are reverse compatible with the 360, like Republic Commando. Eventually I'll download the original Battlefront I and II. I hated the newer Battlefront, and haven't gotten BFII.
I like FPS games, but only if they have a single player offline campaign mode.

Current game obsession is Diablo III. And I picked up The Force Unleashed I and II last weekend.

Diablo III is a fun game, I played the hell out of it when it came out. I've played it completely through, start to end, about 3- 4 times with 2 different characters. My only complaint about the game, and it's a minor one, is that by the second play through with a character it gets ridiculously easy, bosses that gave me trouble the first time around are now really easy to deal with, don't mention regular mobs. But it's still fun trying to find better gear and upgrading the gear that I already have to as high a level as possible.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back