The Video Game Thread - anything and everything...

I'm in a somewhat similar position, Neil.

I have a 360 that I basically don't game on anymore. I still have a few games for it that I think I "ought" to play through (e.g., the Assassins Creed Ezio trilogy -- finished AC2, started AC: Brotherhood, and have AC: Revelations). Mostly I use the 360 as my Netflix/Amazon Prime Video streaming machine, and that's because the 360 is more responsive than my TV or Blu Ray player, both of which can do the same thing.

When I first got it, the 360 served as the thing that kept me from needing to upgrade my PC. I basically transitioned my gaming from a 2001-era PC to the 360, and it lasted me a good long while. I upgraded my PC in 2010 to something that was not bleeding edge, but high-end current generation. I haven't looked at upgrading either since then. After my PC upgrade, I basically went back to playing games on the PC. If a game is multiplatform, I almost always buy it on PC (albeit, at a discount like during a Steam sale).

My 360 runs fine currently. My PC runs fine, too. But I'm also starting to see that newer games...don't run wonderfully on my PC anymore, and they aren't coming out for 360. For example, I picked up Watch_Dogs in a Steam sale for dirt cheap. Now, it's a poorly optimized port for the PC, but still, I have to seriously drop settings to get it to run comfortably. I like it, of course, but it's not as pretty as it "should" be. I can't max the settings, basically. Had I not been able to find it on deep discount, I wouldn't have been able to justify buying Mad Max (which I just installed but haven't played). My system didn't meet the minimum specs. I won't be able to run Fallout 4, and I haven't bothered with The Witcher 3. Battlefront is right out, too, I have no doubt.

So, basically, I'm finding that it's upgrade time. Personally, I lean towards upgrading the PC, but an XB1 is significantly cheaper than a new PC (even without a new monitor)! So, I'm vacillating. I resolved, however, not to buy anything until Christmas or after New Years when the end-of-fiscal-year sales will go into overdrive. I'm also not upgrading a PC until at least that time, because whatever I get will likely come with Win10, and I want to see the bugs shake out on that platform, too.

I think, honestly, at this point you're better waiting. I definitely wouldn't buy a system JUST for one game. Battlefront will be fun, but it won't be revolutionary. And it may well suck. Give it a few months after it comes out to see what people think after the shine is off and DICE has let some bug drag on for, like, 4 months with the forums complaining about it. Wait and see how unbalanced the [blahblahblah] class/weapon/whatever is, or how XYZ map sucks for defenders or whatever.

I still have my 360 and it still gets some love from time to time, but as far as consoles go, I'm done with them. At this point, I'm better off saving money for a semi-future proof PC rig that'll do all the things that consoles are incorporating into them. Considering games are more and more cross-platform, it doesn't make sense for me to dish money on a machine that can do only a fraction of what my PC has been able to do since, well, forever. I'd rather get a beefier PC that can do anything and everything I need it to do than a machine at near equal cost and can only do a few select things.

Also, considering games (and media, in general) is moving to a mostly, if not, completely digital medium; buying your catalog again isn't as costly as getting physical copies for one machine of one generation which can't be played anymore when the next generation of consoles come out, again. It doesn't make sense for me to keep buying consoles, especially at this point in time. Still, I understand the appeal of physically owning something but, all things considered, that has made me very discerning on what to take and keep in a collection or just download digitally.

Started off on the Intellivision and have gone up through many of the systems over the years. Now I'm mainly PS3/PS4/PC and a little bit of Wii U.

Stopped at gamestop to see about doing a return once i get a game i couldn't cancel in time on their site. It was Mario Maker day and everyone was there getting it from their preorders and raiding the handful of new amibos they got in. They hardly got in, it's like nintendo can't make enough. Everyone was after the 8bit mario one, if i'd known about him i'd have preordered him.

what exactly do Amibo's do? I still don't quite get it. to me it just seems like a fancy toy you might use once and then forget about it.

what exactly do Amibo's do? I still don't quite get it. to me it just seems like a fancy toy you might use once and then forget about it.

Kind of. Different Amiibos do different things in different games. In the case of Mario Maker you can play as different characters in the original Mario mode. The 8-Bit Mario lets you play as big mario and smash blocks as well as put moustaches on enemies.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

That 8 bit mario was flying out the door today when I was at gamestop and the store had just opened. Honestly I like the amibos but they're too pricey for what they are. It's still not as overpriced as those Lego dimensions ones though.

Which is a shame as I remember them back in the 80s and 90s as fairly affordable, i remember those 3.00 little kits where you got a vehicle and a figure.

Kind of. Different Amiibos do different things in different games. In the case of Mario Maker you can play as different characters in the original Mario mode. The 8-Bit Mario lets you play as big mario and smash blocks as well as put moustaches on enemies.

I thought that was what their street pass system was kind of for?

in other news, went to try and find a hard copy of mario maker. toys r us was nothing. K-Mart stopped selling video games altogether.

Which is a shame as I remember them back in the 80s and 90s as fairly affordable, i remember those 3.00 little kits where you got a vehicle and a figure.

That was before the dark times, before the licensing.

If this is an open thread then I'd like to point out how much I loved bubble bobble when I was 8.

And Mario 2 was my favorite in the series.

And strider for the nes was awesome.

And I love beyond good and evil

And twilight princess is my favorite zelda

And twilight princess is my favorite zelda

I'm a huge fan of TP, it's probably second to MM for me, the few things that put me off of it occasionally are the rupee bug, and how linear the early story progression is. I wish there had been some flexibility with the sequence, but I LOVE the world and art they built for it, and the Arbiter's Grounds is one of my favorite dungeons ever. I so wanted Skyward Sword to be the next step from TP but I was pretty let down by it. There was so much potential with seeing a dark Hyrule brimming with monsters before the settlement by the Hylians, but then it had this small and closed overworld, and I really disliked the hub/sky mechanic.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Zelda Wii U, but I was gutted when the date got pushed back into next year.

I still kind of like Wind Waker for it's cool cell style. but I think Majora's Mask was the more rewarding one.

I still havn't gotten around to metroid prime trilogy. but it looks like one of those wander around forever games like the original was. Imanaged to beat the original and the gameboy game and super metroid..but after that..not so much.

Windwaker was a pretty big game for me. I had just broken up with a girl who was too "cool" for things like that.

So I immediately bought a GameCube.

I hadn't played a game in like 12 years and Windwaker rocked my world. I didn't even know that open world existed

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Out of curiosity, does Nintendo have any plans for a next Gen portable system?

I've been out of gaming for a long time now and I'm thinking of getting a 3ds. As much as I love ocarina, I'd rather play twilight princess or windwaker.

And I doubt the current 3ds could handle those ports

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back