The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects

This is how it always was meant to work, but they never demonstrated it, also with the turret motorised when your done it would rotate back to the forward facing position so you can get to the ladder no matter where it is ........see simples

Or, and I'm just spitballing here, the MPC kit featured a toy-like function never intended by the filmmakers, kind of like the rotating Slave I cockpit. Then along comes JJ and he says, "I want the Falcon to fire back at the TIE as it's being chased. Just point that laser cannon backwards." It's filmmaking expediency, which I have no problem with because I can easily suspend disbelief. What I have less patience for is when stuff like this is given a free pass by the same people who would have an absolute cow if this was a PT vehicle or it was made by George Lucas.

Or, and I'm just spitballing here, the MPC kit featured a toy-like function never intended by the filmmakers, kind of like the rotating Slave I cockpit. Then along comes JJ and he says, "I want the Falcon to fire back at the TIE as it's being chased. Just point that laser cannon backwards." It's filmmaking expediency, which I have no problem with because I can easily suspend disbelief. What I have less patience for is when stuff like this is given a free pass by the same people who would have an absolute cow if this was a PT vehicle or it was made by George Lucas.

Is that me?

J

I'll try and dig it out , in the original sketches it's called out

No problem with independently rotating turrets, in fact is perfectly logical... would simply close off the access tube, which is better anyway from a 'damage control' perspective. You've got to see that the gun stations would be a prime target in any fight... perhaps Han preferred to keep them locked so they couldn't jam in a closed position, trapping the gunner (relying instead on the emergency atmosphere retention force field system - EATFFS.) In auto mode, no gunner, no worries with the full range motion.

Or perhaps just 'broke' in ANH - it is a hunk o' junk after all!

R/ Robert

This idea of rotating turrets is fine, they just aren't justified by the interior sets.
star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-11039.jpg
star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-11056.jpg
I don't see any doors or tracks that indicate how the ladder tunnel could rotate away from the alcove where it connects to the circular main hallway. It's fixed architecture. Does that mean JJ couldn't CG an "Enterprise seatbelts" solution where it just appears and happens? Sure. And I could actually live with that just fine. It's space fantasy, after all. I'd just want equal latitude given to "flaws" in PT ship designs.:angel

I had to restore my laptop,...so I don't have Ps installed at the minute.....please excuse my drawings

You probably already know this but not only is the ladder tube 40 odd degrees off but the ladders are on the wrong side of the tube for that solution to work also

IMG_3026_zpsejrcg2hx.jpg

IMG_3027_zpsdqa7p6vn.jpg

IMG_3028_zpszn0lwr9n.jpg

Really the Quad gun should come up in front of the gunners (like Joe Johnston designed) rather than hanging down.

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-20%20at%2022.05.50_zpssego63ab.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-20%20at%2022.07.43_zpsz2idsnfp.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-20%20at%2022.07.33_zps5oqlesng.png

10989128_10203861903693167_8320048482039476276_n_zpsvr4vjqw6.jpg

star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-11039_zpsww3t2og4.jpg

star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-11056_zpsq4sttwe4.jpg

10991440_10203861898573039_4870624611362216680_n_zpsbhmh8elp.jpg

hmmm.......then theres the rotating turret,,,,,

J

It's not so much that the turret spins that bothers me. Frankly, they need to be able to shoot behind them.

But considering there's no precident, I question it.

The other issue I have is the engineering of it. Considering that the gunwell tube is not actually on the Centre axis, how practically is spinning around it like that? The gunner doesn't simply rotate. They are essentially riding around on a ring.

Also, because the window actually recesses (rather than a dome) how possible is it to actually fire directly along the surface of the ship anyway?

Just look at the gunners' sight line. They can't even see anything behind or in front of the ship. Those guns really only defend the top and bottom of the falcon
Truthfully, the falcon needs a couple of auto tracking rear guns

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Great documentation there Jaitea. That's the thing about the Falcon: it's always been impossible to reconcile the interior sets to the exterior design. Always. So do I fault JJ for just deciding, "Screw it. I want the turrets to rotate and so they're going to rotate"? No. It's a movie and he has a story to tell.

On the other hand, this is the Falcon. The Holy relic of the Holy Trilogy. Can anyone seriously argue that if George Lucas' name was on this film that people wouldn't be screaming bloody murder about how he was 'ruining the Falcon'?! Frankly, after 16 years of listening to endless complaints about CG spaceships vs. models I'm amazed that there isn't wailing and hair-pulling over the Falcon being entirely CG. Or that the engine glow is completely different than in the OT.

Great documentation there Jaitea. That's the thing about the Falcon: it's always been impossible to reconcile the interior sets to the exterior design. Always. So do I fault JJ for just deciding, "Screw it. I want the turrets to rotate and so they're going to rotate"? No. It's a movie and he has a story to tell.

On the other hand, this is the Falcon. The Holy relic of the Holy Trilogy. Can anyone seriously argue that if George Lucas' name was on this film that people wouldn't be screaming bloody murder about how he was 'ruining the Falcon'?! Frankly, after 16 years of listening to endless complaints about CG spaceships vs. models I'm amazed that there isn't wailing and hair-pulling over the Falcon being entirely CG. Or that the engine glow is completely different than in the OT.
Yeah I cannot understand the jj hatred , I loved the older Star Trek movies because there was **** all sci-fi movies on TV and they were of that era , could I get my son to sit down and watch them, I doubt it , but his trek films SAVED trek in a modern cinema context , I understand some cinematography effects like light flares are cheap looking and to me break the fourth wall breaking the illusion I am in space watching a ship , it reminds me a lense is involved and seperates us from the scene , trek is now a modern fast paced scifi which a young audiance can enjoy.
seeing the falcon fly again is thrilling and digitally Rendering means seeing the falcon from inside the hyperspace tunnel as it enters EPIC
i may yet see my dream sequence of tracking with a tie fighter as it spirals around the falcons flight path

I've asked it before,....but will you guys build with glass in or out?

J

Gonna wait to see how it looks in the movie. I generally prefer glass out, but I may want to replicate the new look on this kit. I will not, however, build it with rotating turrets (even if that's an option). :sick I've gotta have some standards. :p

I'm liking the idea of adding the glass, now that it isn't a film-making issue anymore

Oh no,....definitely no rotating turret ha

...some more nice grabs:

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-21%20at%2019.49.56_zpsaliynyfb.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-21%20at%2019.48.45_zpsu1s3rbe8.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-21%20at%2019.46.50_zpsgbemvnue.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-21%20at%2019.47.12_zpsqtfgtnfj.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-21%20at%2019.47.39_zpszgkomvwd.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-21%20at%2019.47.56_zpsclfg8igq.png

J

They really nailed the hull curvature. Proportionally, it matches the 5-footer and that makes me happy. Wonder what is up with the half open landing gear bays.

It'll be interesting to see how the belly cannon is fired. Does someone climb into the gunport? If so, how can they see behind the ship? Do they operate the cannon from the cockpit? Do they just shoot blind and hope to hit something?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back