Page 1 of 28 12345611 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Northern Ireland
    Sep 7, 2015, 6:14 PM - The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #1

Well,....now that we have had the joy of seeing the future Bandai 1/144 Falcon model & the low of uncertainty that we might ever possess it,.....I thought I'd post some images of what we know so far about the Falcon as we will see her in the future films.

I've gone on about which version of the Falcon ILM have digitised.....(ok,...I'll say it again....the 5 foot studio model),....but apart from the obvious rectangular dish,....there is another notable difference

Although the 5 footer was a huge model & had a crap-load of detail on her,...now that she is digital she has a load more detail in the sidewalls & docking ring doors

I would say that they used the 5 footer to measure up the full scale filming prop, filled the sidewalls & docking rings full of a million pipes & greeblies and then digitised them for the digital element,.....this keeps everything the same

Lets look at what we've seen:

The 1st Teaser,....you can see theres are a lot more going on there than what we're used to,...(I brightened & desaturated parts)

Next the Bob Iger cover with the digital element dissolving into wire frame

You can see the docking door looks a lot busier

& looks exactly like the Full scale prop:

...now look at the docking ring on the Bandai kit:

& sidewalls:

Ahh,...she is a beauty

I am disappointed that things have turned a bit negative at the minute, but I'm sure the Bandai kit will turn up on Amazon or even more expensively on eBay
    I am disappointed that Bandai haven't produced a 1/72 kit.....to rival the FM Revell kit coming out in Nov

Talking of the FM 72nd, I've taken the blade to my second untouched kit,.....inspired by Hunk a Junk & Rockvoice's alterations,.....I've cut off the docking walkways,....the mandibles, the jaws.......&........the front landing gear boxes,......my plan is to make a representation of the 5 foot Falcon with the parts of the FM kit,.....using magnets I hopefully can make the Falcon 3 gear or 5 gear, circular dish or rectangular,......& have the sidewalls & docking doors crammed with greeblies

I'll post some images soon

Thanks for looking

John
    From
    Ireland
    Sep 7, 2015, 6:36 PM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #2

Great summary john, those docking rings are very dense in detail alright
    Sep 8, 2015, 12:54 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #3

As soon as my kit arrived (shipping will start in october) l will share with you all the specs and details of the kit 😃

Feel free to use the pics to come for what you want 😁

If I get the time to I may provide you 3D scans of some parts 👍
    From
    Ireland
    Sep 8, 2015, 4:47 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #4

Looking at other differences, top of the mandibles the boxes next to the mclaren driver cell is gone replaced with a more subdued detail.
    overall more pipe work has been added over existing recognisable details, like the 8 rad details in the jaw, and mandibles , the 8 rad looks like it's still there just covered
    looks like a very specific change was requested in how it looks .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	190.6 KB 
ID:	525811  
    Sep 8, 2015, 7:32 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #5

Nice thread!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
    From
    Northern Ireland
    Sep 8, 2015, 8:16 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #6

Vacformedhero said: View Post
    Great summary john, those docking rings are very dense in detail alright
    She's meaty alright

Pinousse said: View Post
    As soon as my kit arrived (shipping will start in october) l will share with you all the specs and details of the kit
    Feel free to use the pics to come for what you want
    If I get the time to I may provide you 3D scans of some parts
    Sounds good Pinouees,.....3D scans you say,.....hmmm

Vacformedhero said: View Post
    Looking at other differences, top of the mandibles the boxes next to the mclaren driver cell is gone replaced with a more subdued detail.
    overall more pipe work has been added over existing recognisable details, like the 8 rad details in the jaw, and mandibles , the 8 rad looks like it's still there just covered
    looks like a very specific change was requested in how it looks .
    The boxes beside the McLaren look different on the Bandai kit, but look the same to me on the CG model,....dunno

I put SteveStarKiller's (Stinson) CG render of the Ep 7 Falcon in this montage also,....I know he sees things that others can't make out

astroboy said: View Post
    Nice thread!

Fanks,....post here if you want to

J
    Last edited by Jaitea; Sep 8, 2015 at 8:25 AM.
    From
    Ireland
    Sep 8, 2015, 8:54 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #7

***** I better make the hasbro modular LOL
    Sep 8, 2015, 9:09 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #8

Jaitea said: View Post
    Talking of the FM 72nd, I've taken the blade to my second untouched kit,.....inspired by Hunk a Junk & Rockvoice's alterations
    I'm honored to have inspired you! One thing to keep in mind (out of many) is that as you increase the hull curvature, it throws off the orientation of the cockpit tube. A lot. The nose of the cockpit gets pushed downward. You'll need to trim and shim the cockpit tube hallway section accordingly.

On a side note, it's fascinating to me that in all the hoo-haw about "practical effects" and all the holier than Lucas chest-thumping that TFA is being made the 'right way' (i.e. less reliance on CG) that no one seems bothered that the Falcon is CG in the film. I'm certainly not, but then again I'm fine with CG. It's just a tool -- and in many ways a better tool. It just seems to me that under different circumstances certain purists would be whining endlessly about a CG Falcon ruining their childhoods. Text books can be written about the weird psychology of Star Wars fans!
    Sep 8, 2015, 11:08 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #9

"Sounds good Pinouees,.....3D scans you say,.....hmmm"

It's just a portable one but it can do the job
    Sep 8, 2015, 11:17 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #10

Hunk a Junk said: View Post
    I'm honored to have inspired you! One thing to keep in mind (out of many) is that as you increase the hull curvature, it throws off the orientation of the cockpit tube. A lot. The nose of the cockpit gets pushed downward. You'll need to trim and shim the cockpit tube hallway section accordingly.

On a side note, it's fascinating to me that in all the hoo-haw about "practical effects" and all the holier than Lucas chest-thumping that TFA is being made the 'right way' (i.e. less reliance on CG) that no one seems bothered that the Falcon is CG in the film. I'm certainly not, but then again I'm fine with CG. It's just a tool -- and in many ways a better tool. It just seems to me that under different circumstances certain purists would be whining endlessly about a CG Falcon ruining their childhoods. Text books can be written about the weird psychology of Star Wars fans!

I also love what CGI can do. Seeing those CGI viper Mark 2's on Galactica always made me smile.

However, there is one argument against it. I work in Theatre as a technical director. There's an expression I use with designers:

"parameters inspire creativity"

You will never see a more thoughtless design than one where the designer has unlimited resources. They just stop caring about resources. But when you add a parameter such as, "The set needs to fill the stage AND fit into a truck" the designer is forced to be a lot more creative in their product.

The same goes for drafting. Since the invention of CAD, drafting has really gone to crap. It's so disposable that they've become thoughtless.

And that is why in the OT, the x-wings were all made individually but when the SE editions came out, all the CGI x-wings became red leader.
    Sep 8, 2015, 12:03 PM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #11

"parameters inspire creativity"
    True, but not in all cases. I think we can all agree that ILM's development of computer-controlled cameras for the OT, for example, loosened parameters and unleashed a LOT of creativity. Anyway, I don't want to hijack the thread into another debate about the virtues or evils of CG. I just see some hypocrisy from fans when it comes to when and how CG is used in Star Wars, and TFA Falcon is an example of it me thinks.
  12. Member Since
    Nov 2001
    From
    Langhorne, PA - just outside of Philadelphia
    Sep 8, 2015, 2:23 PM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #12

WILD ***** THEORY....

I think JJ and CO. have "resized" the falcon so that it is close to the inner and outer dimensions of the sets and physical and digital models. to that end I "think" the diameter of the digital model is widened quite a bit. I say this for a couple of reasons.

1) to my eye the Ep VII falcon looks like it has 99% of the detailing of the 5 footer... but it looks "flatter" to me like the ESB model... lacking the accentuated curvature of the 5 foot physical model. As has been noted in the thread earlier the sidewalls and docking rings are obviously more greeblied up.

2) The ratio between the outer diameter of the hull and the height of the engine area is "off" compared to either the 5 footer or the ESB falcon. Telling me the stretched the thing to be right diameter but kept the same sidewall height. Go take a look at the falcon in hyperspace in ANH (just before their arrival at Alderaan) you can see the curvature and the sidewalls are not the same as the pics from EP VII that we've seen.

END THEORY
    All of this being said in the thread I think that we all need to wait a bit before getting into cutting our plastic to recreate the "new" falcon.

On a side note to Hunk o junk and astroboy - here's what I believe with respect to Special Effects (its a pet peeve of mine). The explosion of CGI technology allowing the director to create any wild thing they wanted onto film lead to a period of what I'll deem "lazy" story telling. The "limitations" of what they could get into a camera forced the director/storyteller to come up with alternative ways to tell their story where technology could not do it. I "think" that the period of lazy storytelling is coming to an end, where directors/storytellers are realizing that just because you can put in an effect doesn't mean you should and focus on the story is the only measure by which a shot could/should be in a film. Film-makers seem to be realizing that Special effects are just a tool - and to not use them as a crutch... thank goodness!

indulge me a moment - here's an example... George wanted to establish Han as a Smuggler, in debt and willing to take risks to get out of it... that lead to the docking bay 94 scene placed into the movie. George realized that he couldn't do Jabba Justice and rethought the story and how to tell it that led to the cantina scene WHERE HAN SHOT FIRST. I'm mainly talking about the dialog... as the Greedo scene was always there but much shortened... it was expanded to include almost all of the dialog from the docking bay scene, so that the audience could get all that info George wanted them to have without the docking bay scene. The resulting scene was far better than either of the original 2 scenes. This is an example of the limitations (parameters) forcing creativity... and a better story.

Jedi Dade
    From
    Northern Ireland
    Sep 8, 2015, 5:21 PM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #13

I know SteveStarkiller found some differences with the dimensions of the 5 footer, but was pretty happy they were close,...(not sure what the differences were though)

SteveStarkiller said: View Post
    here's a side by side orthographic of the new falcon with Vfxsup64's beautiful photogrammetric copy of the 5' Falcon.

Mine on the left is completely from the photomatches I made, and it's looking seriously consistent with the 5' Falcon. Just a few differences, very cool to see.

differences....for instance the dish is a definite change, the new red panel in the rear port quarter is a definite change, but there are more subtle proportional changes to the body and paneling that are a little harder to catalogue.

Cool stuff
    J
    From
    Northern Ireland
    Sep 8, 2015, 5:45 PM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #14

I wouldn't say the Ep 7 Falcon looks off,.....nothing jumps out to me

I just want to see some more footage
    J
  15. Member Since
    Nov 2001
    From
    Langhorne, PA - just outside of Philadelphia
    Sep 8, 2015, 6:20 PM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #15

To my eye the sidewalls look a little shorter... even in your pics. its not huge, but "I" see it . until I get good ref with something to scale with I'm not cutting my models up but that's just me. if you feel certain - have at it.

Jedi Dade
  16. Member Since
    Jun 2010
    From
    Toronto
    Sep 8, 2015, 6:30 PM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #16

Can't wait to get my hands on one! Hey, Steve/John, what do you guys think about the toe-in of the 1/144's mandibles? They should be good right? Man I want this kit to be right if Bandai's scaling it up to a 1/72 (or is it the other way 'round and they already have one under wraps to be unveiled on Christmas?

From
    Ireland
    Sep 8, 2015, 6:34 PM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #17

The only thing I don't like is the use of the broken turret gun profile , not the original pivot mounting .
    From
    Northern Ireland
    Sep 8, 2015, 6:37 PM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #18

Right,....heres some photos of my 1/72 FineMolds kit,...I have one....of which I was pretty proud to have fixed the Mandibles & jaw-box,.....that was, as far as I was concerned, the furthest I was going to go in regards to fixing the issues with the kit

I knew it was a bit flat,.....but so was the 32" compared to the 5 footer,.....but then Rockvoice (Marko) over on Keeper of the Force cut way beyond what I'd done to correct the shape closer to the 32" model,.....around then Maruska created tech drawings of the 32" & I was able to print out, to the scale of the FM kit & compare the huge miscalculations of FineMolds

Hasbro released the 29" toy which is truer to Maruskas drawings,....(I still have to get back to that beauty)....fixing the FM to the 32" just didn't excite me

Hope that a 5 foot representation would appear from Bandai for TFA excited me,...but deep down I had a feeling that it would be a 1/144,...but still the hope was there,.....then I saw Hunk a Junk's FineMolds alteration.....

....WOW,....it has the shape that the FM & 32" didn't,....it looked meaty

Hunk a Junk said: View Post
    I hope I can tie this thing all together again like yours,...thank you matesy for what you've done

So,...Ive cut off the mandibles
    The jaws
    The docking walkways
    the engine vents
    the front landing gear bays
    cut into the rear landing gear bays to allow the lower hull to curve

I used the interior of the turret as a spacer:

Foamalux:

Thanks for looking
    John
    From
    Northern Ireland
    Sep 8, 2015, 6:46 PM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #19

Jedi Dade said: View Post
    To my eye the sidewalls look a little shorter... even in your pics. its not huge, but "I" see it . until I get good ref with something to scale with I'm not cutting my models up but that's just me. if you feel certain - have at it.

Jedi Dade
    Cool,.....WE NEED MORE IMAGES,......sorry

Steve would be the best to let us know,....and if there are differences,....by how much

J
    From
    Northern Ireland
    Sep 8, 2015, 6:52 PM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #20

crackerjazz said: View Post
    Can't wait to get my hands on one! Hey, Steve/John, what do you guys think about the toe-in of the 1/144's mandibles? They should be good right? Man I want this kit to be right if Bandai's scaling it up to a 1/72 (or is it the other way 'round and they already have one under wraps to be unveiled on Christmas?

http://i.imgur.com/crjL9Q4.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/GavpDXZ.jpg
    I think the toe-in is fine,...its there,....the 5 footer is subtle...perhaps by the greeblies on the inside walls,...dunno ....the 32" is more obvious

Also look at Steves findings:

J
    Sep 8, 2015, 9:31 PM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #21

Not to be a naysayer on this but i still don't think that the toe in is enough on the Bandai.

I also thing that the outside of the mandibles doesn't quite sit right with the saucer. It's too skinny for my tastes. Now, this might be because the transmission pieces don't seem quite right (which might be the case for the epi 7 version)

From
    Bokoske Oklahoma USA
    Sep 9, 2015, 2:53 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #22

AnhClick image for larger version. 

Name:	464104_550363141657668_1593085567_o.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	288.9 KB 
ID:	526310tfaClick image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled.png 
Views:	378 
Size:	701.3 KB 
ID:	526311
  23. Member Since
    Jul 2012
    Sep 9, 2015, 3:36 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #23

Falcon dimensions in TFA -

I agree that the sidewalls do seem short in the shots we've seen of TFA so far. But I can't spot any obvious dimensional changes compared to the 5-footer. My theory is that the dimensions are the same but it's the details & conditions making the difference.

Maybe they deepened the recession of the (5-footer-size) sidewalls for detailing reasons. Or maybe the additional greeblies & weathering just makes it look deeper/darker. We might be visually perceiving the sidewalls as being shorter just because of that.

Also, we are totally unused to seeing the 5-footer's shape under these conditions. Broad sunlight, in action, in super-high resolution? Not in the OT.

The OT mostly featured the Falcon in space or in hangars. The soundstage scenes were necessarily keeping the lower & sides of the ship pretty well lit, for the actor scenes. The Mos Eisley scene was on a soundstage even if it was supposed to be sunlit from above. The Bespin landing pad scene was done in the Hoth hangar and it was heavily matte painted.

The ILM model space footage was lit pretty globally rather than suggest any specific light source, in order to keep the fast-moving ships easy to see. If half the Falcon had been in shadow at any given time it would have gotten difficult to follow the action. (Remember the abandoned early plan for the TIE fighters to be red?)
    Last edited by batguy; Sep 9, 2015 at 3:52 AM.
    From
    Northern Ireland
    Sep 9, 2015, 3:45 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #24

Not to be a naysayer on this but i still don't think that the toe in is enough on the Bandai.

I also thing that the outside of the mandibles doesn't quite sit right with the saucer. It's too skinny for my tastes. Now, this might be because the transmission pieces don't seem quite right (which might be the case for the epi 7 version)

But on the positive side, we all know how the construction of the Bandai kits go together,...I'd say if the toe in is not to your taste the mandibles would likely be separate units anyway....the real problem with all the kits released to this day is the thickness of the ship, which effects the curvature, which effects the side-wall height

Every (official) kit so far has had issues with that fundamental issue,....thankfully we don't need to worry about it with the Bandai

J
  25. Member Since
    Jun 2010
    From
    Toronto
    Sep 9, 2015, 10:15 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #25

Yes looks like Bandai captured the curvature -- even at 1/144 it shows so that's really something. And the mandibles do look like they are detachable. I can see that the Wankels that don't wankle out too much, giving the illusion that the mandibles don't align well with the hull. Or maybe that's how they look on the CGI one? Still, this 1/44 looks like a true-blue Falcon!!!