Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
Subscribe
  1. modelcitizen's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2008
    From
    Pacific NW
    Messages
    538
    Oct 20, 2015, 8:36 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #51

    cannon canon

    the old mpc does that
  2. Hunk a Junk's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2014
    Messages
    708
    Oct 20, 2015, 8:39 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #52

    Fair nuff, Jaitea, but next time you complain about the logical design flaws of a PT ship you're gonna get a major smirking from me! Personally, this is harder for me to swallow than R2 fitting in a Naboo fighter. They're messing with the Falcon here.

    Liked the trailer a lot, but I kinda wish there were more hints of space battles instead of just sky battles. It is STAR Wars, after all.
  3. Hunk a Junk's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2014
    Messages
    708
    Oct 20, 2015, 8:43 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #53

    modelcitizen said: View Post
    cannon canon

    the old mpc does that
    Was the MPC kit canon?

    I'm no rivet counter by any means, but the internal sets don't indicate in any way that the gunports rotate or swivel out of a locked position. The ladder tunnel is fixed to the interior hallway and the tunnel is fixed to the gunports. Not that it made sense in the first place, but this only makes the inconsistencies worse.
  4. Jaitea's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2011
    From
    Northern Ireland
    Messages
    3,481
    Oct 20, 2015, 8:43 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #54

    Not even in the same league matesy

    My Yoda even has no problem with it

    #14505

    J
    Last edited by Jaitea; Oct 20, 2015 at 9:22 AM.
  5. modelcitizen's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2008
    From
    Pacific NW
    Messages
    538
    Oct 20, 2015, 8:46 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #55

    it also had a cargo door with a window back between the jaws
  6. Krest's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2012
    From
    Germany
    Messages
    47
    Oct 20, 2015, 8:50 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #56

    They never showed it rotating in the old trilogy iirc. Maybe the rectangular radar dish isn't the only retrofit?
  7. modelcitizen's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2008
    From
    Pacific NW
    Messages
    538
    Oct 20, 2015, 9:12 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #57

    it's only a movie....
    - alfred hitchcock-
  8. Hunk a Junk's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2014
    Messages
    708
    Oct 20, 2015, 9:54 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #58

    modelcitizen said: View Post
    it's only a movie....
    - alfred hitchcock-
    I would be sooooo down with this comment if it was applied equally across the entire saga.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Jaitea said: View Post
    Not even in the same league matesy

    J
    Fudging is fudging, you magnificent bastard you.

    But seriously, explain how this is supposed to work. Do the gunports swivel away from the ladder tunnel or does the ladder tunnel move and we just don't see it?
  9. Jaitea's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2011
    From
    Northern Ireland
    Messages
    3,481
    Oct 20, 2015, 10:49 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #59

    I honestly don't know......I'm gonna do some doodles tonight to try & get my head round it........(Stinson,....hear me,.....STINSON!!??)

    J
  10. Vacformedhero's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    From
    Ireland
    Messages
    1,218
    Oct 20, 2015, 11:24 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #60

    Hunk a Junk said: View Post
    Wait, what? The turret disk rotates???? How does that jive with the interior sets? So the gunport rooms and the connecting tunnel that's fixed to the interior ring hallway somehow rotate too? And this is now canon? No, really???
    This is how it always was meant to work, but they never demonstrated it, also with the turret motorised when your done it would rotate back to the forward facing position so you can get to the ladder no matter where it is ........see simples
  11. Hunk a Junk's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2014
    Messages
    708
    Oct 20, 2015, 11:34 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #61

    Vacformedhero said: View Post
    This is how it always was meant to work, but they never demonstrated it, also with the turret motorised when your done it would rotate back to the forward facing position so you can get to the ladder no matter where it is ........see simples
    Or, and I'm just spitballing here, the MPC kit featured a toy-like function never intended by the filmmakers, kind of like the rotating Slave I cockpit. Then along comes JJ and he says, "I want the Falcon to fire back at the TIE as it's being chased. Just point that laser cannon backwards." It's filmmaking expediency, which I have no problem with because I can easily suspend disbelief. What I have less patience for is when stuff like this is given a free pass by the same people who would have an absolute cow if this was a PT vehicle or it was made by George Lucas.
  12. Jaitea's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2011
    From
    Northern Ireland
    Messages
    3,481
    Oct 20, 2015, 11:37 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #62

    Hunk a Junk said: View Post
    Or, and I'm just spitballing here, the MPC kit featured a toy-like function never intended by the filmmakers, kind of like the rotating Slave I cockpit. Then along comes JJ and he says, "I want the Falcon to fire back at the TIE as it's being chased. Just point that laser cannon backwards." It's filmmaking expediency, which I have no problem with because I can easily suspend disbelief. What I have less patience for is when stuff like this is given a free pass by the same people who would have an absolute cow if this was a PT vehicle or it was made by George Lucas.
    Is that me?

    J
  13. Vacformedhero's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    From
    Ireland
    Messages
    1,218
    Oct 20, 2015, 11:39 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #63

    Hunk a Junk said: View Post
    Or, and I'm just spitballing here, the MPC kit featured a toy-like function never intended by the filmmakers, kind of like the rotating Slave I cockpit. Then along comes JJ and he says, "I want the Falcon to fire back at the TIE as it's being chased. Just point that laser cannon backwards." It's filmmaking expediency, which I have no problem with because I can easily suspend disbelief. What I have less patience for is when stuff like this is given a free pass by the same people who would have an absolute cow if this was a PT vehicle or it was made by George Lucas.
    I'll try and dig it out , in the original sketches it's called out
  14. Hunk a Junk's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2014
    Messages
    708
    Oct 20, 2015, 11:41 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #64

    Jaitea said: View Post
    Is that me?

    J
    I dunno. Do you often have a cow?

    I'm speaking more the Internet in general.

    My view of Star Wars is this: Star Wars is like sex and pizza. Even when it's not great, it's still pretty awesome!
  15. Jaitea's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2011
    From
    Northern Ireland
    Messages
    3,481
    Oct 20, 2015, 11:43 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #65

    Phew

    J
  16. rbeach84's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Messages
    1,899
    Oct 20, 2015, 12:19 PM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #66

    No problem with independently rotating turrets, in fact is perfectly logical... would simply close off the access tube, which is better anyway from a 'damage control' perspective. You've got to see that the gun stations would be a prime target in any fight... perhaps Han preferred to keep them locked so they couldn't jam in a closed position, trapping the gunner (relying instead on the emergency atmosphere retention force field system - EATFFS.) In auto mode, no gunner, no worries with the full range motion.

    Or perhaps just 'broke' in ANH - it is a hunk o' junk after all!

    R/ Robert
  17. Hunk a Junk's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2014
    Messages
    708
    Oct 20, 2015, 3:21 PM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #67

    This idea of rotating turrets is fine, they just aren't justified by the interior sets.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-11039.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	285.8 KB 
ID:	543502
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-11056.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	230.9 KB 
ID:	543503
    I don't see any doors or tracks that indicate how the ladder tunnel could rotate away from the alcove where it connects to the circular main hallway. It's fixed architecture. Does that mean JJ couldn't CG an "Enterprise seatbelts" solution where it just appears and happens? Sure. And I could actually live with that just fine. It's space fantasy, after all. I'd just want equal latitude given to "flaws" in PT ship designs.
  18. Jaitea's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2011
    From
    Northern Ireland
    Messages
    3,481
    Oct 20, 2015, 4:19 PM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #68

    I had to restore my laptop,...so I don't have Ps installed at the minute.....please excuse my drawings

    You probably already know this but not only is the ladder tube 40 odd degrees off but the ladders are on the wrong side of the tube for that solution to work also







    Really the Quad gun should come up in front of the gunners (like Joe Johnston designed) rather than hanging down.















    hmmm.......then theres the rotating turret,,,,,

    J
  19. astroboy's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2010
    Messages
    4,349
    Oct 21, 2015, 6:43 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #69

    It's not so much that the turret spins that bothers me. Frankly, they need to be able to shoot behind them.

    But considering there's no precident, I question it.

    The other issue I have is the engineering of it. Considering that the gunwell tube is not actually on the Centre axis, how practically is spinning around it like that? The gunner doesn't simply rotate. They are essentially riding around on a ring.

    Also, because the window actually recesses (rather than a dome) how possible is it to actually fire directly along the surface of the ship anyway?

    Just look at the gunners' sight line. They can't even see anything behind or in front of the ship. Those guns really only defend the top and bottom of the falcon
    Truthfully, the falcon needs a couple of auto tracking rear guns

    Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by astroboy; Oct 21, 2015 at 6:58 AM.
  20. Member Since
    May 2013
    From
    Germany
    Messages
    412
    Oct 21, 2015, 6:56 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #70

    You don't discuss the realism and feasibility of Star Wars spaceships here, do you?
  21. Hunk a Junk's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2014
    Messages
    708
    Oct 21, 2015, 7:40 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #71

    Great documentation there Jaitea. That's the thing about the Falcon: it's always been impossible to reconcile the interior sets to the exterior design. Always. So do I fault JJ for just deciding, "Screw it. I want the turrets to rotate and so they're going to rotate"? No. It's a movie and he has a story to tell.

    On the other hand, this is the Falcon. The Holy relic of the Holy Trilogy. Can anyone seriously argue that if George Lucas' name was on this film that people wouldn't be screaming bloody murder about how he was 'ruining the Falcon'?! Frankly, after 16 years of listening to endless complaints about CG spaceships vs. models I'm amazed that there isn't wailing and hair-pulling over the Falcon being entirely CG. Or that the engine glow is completely different than in the OT.
  22. astroboy's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2010
    Messages
    4,349
    Oct 21, 2015, 8:35 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #72

    Abrams also turned the enterprise into a submarine

    Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
  23. Vacformedhero's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    From
    Ireland
    Messages
    1,218
    Oct 21, 2015, 9:03 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #73

    Hunk a Junk said: View Post
    Great documentation there Jaitea. That's the thing about the Falcon: it's always been impossible to reconcile the interior sets to the exterior design. Always. So do I fault JJ for just deciding, "Screw it. I want the turrets to rotate and so they're going to rotate"? No. It's a movie and he has a story to tell.

    On the other hand, this is the Falcon. The Holy relic of the Holy Trilogy. Can anyone seriously argue that if George Lucas' name was on this film that people wouldn't be screaming bloody murder about how he was 'ruining the Falcon'?! Frankly, after 16 years of listening to endless complaints about CG spaceships vs. models I'm amazed that there isn't wailing and hair-pulling over the Falcon being entirely CG. Or that the engine glow is completely different than in the OT.
    Yeah I cannot understand the jj hatred , I loved the older Star Trek movies because there was f*** all sci-fi movies on TV and they were of that era , could I get my son to sit down and watch them, I doubt it , but his trek films SAVED trek in a modern cinema context , I understand some cinematography effects like light flares are cheap looking and to me break the fourth wall breaking the illusion I am in space watching a ship , it reminds me a lense is involved and seperates us from the scene , trek is now a modern fast paced scifi which a young audiance can enjoy.
    seeing the falcon fly again is thrilling and digitally Rendering means seeing the falcon from inside the hyperspace tunnel as it enters EPIC
    i may yet see my dream sequence of tracking with a tie fighter as it spirals around the falcons flight path
  24. astroboy's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2010
    Messages
    4,349
    Oct 21, 2015, 11:47 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #74

    modelcitizen said: View Post
    it's only a movie....
    - alfred hitchcock-
    There is only one possible response to this.


    Ready?........



    IT'S NOT JUST A MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  25. Hunk a Junk's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2014
    Messages
    708
    Oct 21, 2015, 3:47 PM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #75

    FAAAAAAAATTTTTTT FALCON!!!!!!

    http://www.gunjap.net/site/?p=278962

    All I know is that the 1/144 scale BB-8 is going to disappear into my carpet the moment it comes off the sprue. I know it.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 222
    Last Post: Jul 4, 2016, 2:47 PM
  2. The Force Awakens Snowtrooper
    ObiWill15, Star Wars Costumes and Props
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Nov 30, 2015, 1:50 PM
  3. Force awakens. Speeder
    IEDBOUNTYHUNTER, General Modeling
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Aug 13, 2015, 6:10 PM
  4. Force Awakens Prop Falcon at SWCA...FM?
    Shingouki28, General Modeling
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: May 19, 2015, 5:31 PM
  5. Force Awakens Rey
    MiraDarkstar, Star Wars Costumes and Props
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 5, 2015, 10:09 AM