The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects

does anyone here have a good image of the hull plating around the radar dish in the 5-footer? I have the old radar dish coming and I want to prep that.

1270_SWI_8780.jpg1317_SWI_8827.jpg;)

Attachments

• 1270_SWI_8780.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 129
  • 1315_SWI_8825.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 149
A nice image of the back of the dish at last

attachment.php

The new dish specifications has kept with the Haynes book,....the Rectangular dish is civilian & the original circular is military

Refurbished gun well details also

J

In other words, JJ wanted them to rotate so now they do and they added some made-up "backstory" to explain it without actually making it logical or showing how it could work.

Yep.......pretty cool,.....at least they didnt just leave it,.....they know there'll be questions on any improvements

J

Earlier today a bit of a discussion/debate started on the DeAgo thread in the StudioScale section.....there seemed to be concerns there that the TFA CG Falcon doesnt look quite right.....I tried to defend the CG asset,....as I think its a pretty good representation of the 5 Footer,....with a few tweeks

I'm not saying they look bad. I have issues with both to answer your question. The full scale is still under sized and the CG version is not 100% accurate to the shape of the 5ft. I remember seeing somewhere here on the rpf that from the top they are very close, but I don't feel the shape of the jaw box or the overall thickness of the ship is the same. If you can show me some side by side from the front or rear to show me otherwise I would happy to concede to what you are saying. The overhead shots I've seen look very close, but the front shots I briefly saw in the movie suggested otherwise to me.

heres some images I posted recently,...along with some images that Andre measured up of the 5 footer

MF%20Plan_zpswn6fffid.jpg

ANH_MF_SIDEPORT_002_zpsw1kp7nbv.jpg

ANH_MF_FRONT_001_zpslfve8xjs.jpg

The CG Asset being used in Battlefront which shares a lot of greeblies & the gear bays with TFA Falcon:
Screen%20Shot%202015-12-28%20at%2021.34.05_zpsaits20ei.png

MillenniumFalcon_5%20foot%20amp%2032quot%20compare.jpg

I don't have Photoshop on this laptop to do any comps/overlays,....but I think its safe to say that the CG Asset is pretty accurate shape-wise with the original 5 Footer

I had a look back over threads to find where there was talk of the overall length of the Full sized Falcon which I think it was mentioned that it matched 1:1 what the Falcon was supposed to measure,.....damn

J

Great thread Jaitea! After looking at all the comparisons, I'm unclear on some things. Are the comparisons on here early in the thread between the 5ft and the CG version or the 5ft and the Bandai kit, or are they one and the same? Meaning did Bandai use the actual CG model to build there own? Great work on here by a lot of people

Great thread Jaitea! After looking at all the comparisons, I'm unclear on some things. Are the comparisons on here early in the thread between the 5ft and the CG version or the 5ft and the Bandai kit, or are they one and the same? Meaning did Bandai use the actual CG model to build there own? Great work on here by a lot of people
Jaitea knows better than me, but it looks like the Bandai was based off an incomplete cgi falcon they made for the film. I believe that it was designed and produced before the falcon was finished. Hence all the symmetry.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

According to this article, if I understand it correctly, there was a bunch of ILM guys that visited the archives and saw the 5-footer, although incorrectly referenced to Empire:

http://www.wired.com/2015/11/wired-star-wars-cover-millennium-falcon/

“The big change on the Falcon is that radar dish, because it was knocked off in Return of the Jedi through some of Lando’s close-quarters flying,” Alzmann says (as if you didn’t know). “As far as the rest of the Falcon goes, we had a whole crew that went up to the archives and saw the original five-foot model from Empire. So the textures are from the original, pretty much. I’m sure our artists put a lot of love into it and fixed anything they found troublesome.”

I'm assuming they would have scanned it using some method. But like any other scan, the mesh will need to be fixed so they "fixed" a lot of the kitbash parts. My guess is it's impossible to do all the fixing in a tight schedule and is the reason for the made-up greeblies on the sidewalls. The basic 5-footer shape will have been retained because that's the bulk of the Falcon and is the most important and there's nothing much to fix in that department.

In the Force Awakens Cross-sections book it's mentioned that they used the ILM digital asset. There is one part on the Bandai engine deck that I thought Bandai wasn't able to model correclty -- the F1 McLaren M23 part . When you look at the cross-section from the book -- it's shaped the same way. What are the odds they could make the same mistake? This leads me to believe that Bandai did have access to the same digital asset.

H3fQhnw.jpg

We know Bandai took some shortcuts on the sidewalls -- heck, they copy pasted a good section four times (below) but we forgive them because it's still a fantastic model :) . Astro might be right in that they used an incomplete model but at least the top view must have been completed then.

2mNu4Mj.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
According to this article, if I understand it correctly, there was a bunch of ILM guys that visited the archives and saw the 5-footer, although incorrectly referenced to Empire:
The 5' was used in Empire for the Cloud City landing close-ups, so ILM added the extra landing gear boxes to it. The greebly-mirroring/cloning on the 1/144 Bandai I would also say was due to rushing it out as the first TFA kit.

My wish is that Bandai gives us an OT MF in 1/72 completely based on the 1976 5' version, with optional gear box parts for the Empire version if desired. The 32'' inch was made for multi-axial motion control moves and is hardly on screen without motion blur. Of course, many think it's the *only* MF model due to it being used exclusively in ILM promotional stills for Empire and Jedi.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back