The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects

Gundam panel line marker or any marker is a no go for this build. Applying washes and "weathering" techniques will give you the effects you're looking for. Just search youtube for it.

It depends really if you are doing a quick build,....I like doing an oil/thinner wash.....put a drop if turps onto the area,..paint the oil on & let it thin into the turps & it should flow in the panel lines

Thanks for looking
John

Thanks for the swift replies guys.

I'm new to this modelling thing. Anyway, for this washing technique, what products would you guys suggest?
I've more or less decided on using Tamiya's acrylic black (x-1) and thinner, and a brush?

What do you guys use?

I highly recommend watching fitchenfoo on youtube. He has an amazing series on painting his Falcon. All will be revealed!!!!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Gotta check out that fichtenfoo vid, thanks!

You're right, John, the Launch Bay Falcon looks huge. And the photographer must have been standing on a stool to get this shot. Very nice paintjob -- there's that 5-footer look about it -- but I would've had them let you paint the radial streaks, anytime. It should have been done unhurriedly, with great care, making sure they radiate from the center outwards in straight lines like sun rays. Just kidding -- that's coming from me, who doesn't even know how to paint right :) I wish my Bandai would turn out half as good as this.

Incidentally, John, got a question about some areas -- what color did you use on your Falcon for the smudges towards the end of the mandibles and the somewhat darker area where the turret meets the hull? Would it be a panzer gray color?

lBmlIEx.jpg

Honestly, if you watch all the fitchenfoo videos, you will see so much greatness that the specifics of those smudges won't matter. They can be either oil washes, pigments, chalk pastels or whatever.

But i will say these three things. Don't bother darkening the panel lines as a step. That will happen over time as you as add layers. Don't do a generic uniform dark wash. There is no uniformity to the falcon. And you are definitely gonna have to find some abteilung starship filth oil paint

Beautiful weathering, Astro! You convinced me about Starship Filth and so I picked up a tube today plus a whole lot of other colors. Also watched fichtenfoo's vid. Talk about a weathered Falcon! I'm puzzled about the blue though. Anyway, I'll give the method a try. Funny story - this morning the wife asked me out of the blue what I was working on and why I needed to buy another Falcon when I've already built one. I then launched into a spotty explanation of the differences between a 32-inch and 5-footer and that this new one is from TFA. It was a lost cause as she was. taking none of it. I was going in every direction and was obviously unprepared for such a trick question. Without her actually saying it, her eyes said it all - that I wasted money on another model again. It suddenly became hot in the room, heheh.

Beautiful weathering, Astro! You convinced me about Starship Filth and so I picked up a tube today plus a whole lot of other colors. Also watched fichtenfoo's vid. Talk about a weathered Falcon! I'm puzzled about the blue though. Anyway, I'll give the method a try. Funny story - this morning the wife asked me out of the blue what I was working on and why I needed to buy another Falcon when I've already built one. I then launched into a spotty explanation of the differences between a 32-inch and 5-footer and that this new one is from TFA. It was a lost cause as she was. taking none of it. I was going in every direction and was obviously unprepared for such a trick question. Without her actually saying it, her eyes said it all - that I wasted money on another model again. It suddenly became hot in the room, heheh.
Thanks a lot.

The one thing I would be careful about from fitchenfoo is when he coloured each panel individual. He was working with a MUCH bigger falcon and sometimes things don't translate through scale.

I did that on my fm 1/144 falcon and it ended up looking a bit like a colourful mosaic

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Heres a nice shot of the Falcon's underside from that last TV spot,....notice that the turret has turned forwards again:

Screen%20Shot%202015-12-16%20at%2007.45.04_1.png

J

I guess because it's all CGI now so their artistic department just fooling around and have some fun with the Falcon, maybe they just forgotten to close it in the final stage.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back