Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    Sep 9, 2015, 10:43 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #26

I can't wait to get my hand on this.

The 1/144 is gonna have so much "whoosh" potential
    Sep 9, 2015, 11:05 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #27

astroboy said: View Post
    I can't wait to get my hand on this.

The 1/144 is gonna have so much "whoosh" potential
    Same here
    From
    Ireland
    Sep 10, 2015, 5:18 PM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #28

hi John,
    Can you delete a message I have an interesting find
    B
    From
    Bellevue, NE
    Sep 10, 2015, 11:07 PM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #29

If I can get my hands on one, my desire will be to swap dishes with a 1/144 FM kit so I can have an ANH version (even if the dish diameter is too small). Either that or wait for somebody to do a proper one for the kit on Shapeways.
  5. Member Since
    Sep 2012
    Sep 11, 2015, 11:19 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #30

That Falcon from the trailer never convinced me. I noticed immediately that it was CG rendered. The entire image is CG. I would bet everything that a motion controlled miniature would deliver a better outcome. Just my opinion.
  6. Member Since
    Jul 2012
    Sep 11, 2015, 12:14 PM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #31

That Falcon from the trailer never convinced me. I noticed immediately that it was CG rendered. The entire image is CG. I would bet everything that a motion controlled miniature would deliver a better outcome. Just my opinion.

Are we defining "better outcome" by how closely it matches reality? Or how closely it matches the OT look?

If we had a real life shot of a flying Falcon for comparison then I would bet the CGI shot looks closer than any model shot.

But whether the CGI shot's realism pleases us more than a top-notch model . . . that is a different question.
  7. Member Since
    Sep 2012
    Sep 11, 2015, 8:13 PM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #32

A visual effects shouldn't tell you that it is indeed an effect or seem artifical. CGI looks too clean or better too sterile. I guess it's how light is reflected on surfaces. A physical model looks real because reflections are natural and not rendered. It is like some informations get lost during rendering which than affects the overall look of the model. As long as you notice that an image is rendered with a computer the effect gets lost. That sequence with the falcon looks like a video game intro. That's not cinema or a good representation of reality. It looks fake. The mistake is in my opinion that the entire image is CGI. A good choice would be a physical model with some digital correction to improve the final result.
    Sep 12, 2015, 12:00 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #33

JMChladek said: View Post
    If I can get my hands on one, my desire will be to swap dishes with a 1/144 FM kit so I can have an ANH version
    Would you remove the additional TESB landing gear boxes?
  9. Member Since
    Jul 2012
    Sep 12, 2015, 9:22 PM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #34

A visual effects shouldn't tell you that it is indeed an effect or seem artifical. CGI looks too clean or better too sterile. I guess it's how light is reflected on surfaces. A physical model looks real because reflections are natural and not rendered. It is like some informations get lost during rendering which than affects the overall look of the model. As long as you notice that an image is rendered with a computer the effect gets lost. That sequence with the falcon looks like a video game intro. That's not cinema or a good representation of reality. It looks fake. The mistake is in my opinion that the entire image is CGI. A good choice would be a physical model with some digital correction to improve the final result.

The TFA trailer Falcon looks the way we are used to CGI looking. But is that inaccurate, or just what we think is the "CGI look"? I'm not sure.

I have seen some airshows and a few vehicle stunts & explosions being done live. More than once I have found myself thinking, "It almost looks like a CG effect!" Think about the implications of that. Maybe (the best) CGI work is closer to reality than we think but it fails to fit our mistaken expectations.

Do the X-wings in the TFA teaser flying over the water look better than the Falcon? I thought so at first. But maybe it's because they are something we can relate better to. Water, spray, moderate lighting, smaller ships that match our human expectations, etc.

The new Falcon is 1.5x the size of the OT Falcon exteriors. It would cover 2/3rds of a hockey rink now. The Falcon is not a fighter jet, it's more like an airliner that moves like a fighter. My point is that in most of the flying footage the ship is much bigger & farther away than we probably subconsciously assume.

Remember the popular still image from the trailer where the Falcon is just closing in on the blasting TIE fighters? The Falcon's engines are probably never less than 50-75 feet away from the camera in that "closeup". This is relevant because the image of the ship should look "hazier" than we might think just because of that distance. There is also the effect of all the sand & dust being kicked up by the Falcon's engines in that whole scene.
    From
    Bokoske Oklahoma USA
    Sep 12, 2015, 9:29 PM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #35

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sw_backnumber06.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	179.6 KB 
ID:	527838
  11. Member Since
    Jul 2012
    Sep 13, 2015, 12:09 PM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #36

That's my point, right there.

That model shot does look more tangible and less video-game-y than the CGI trailer Falcon. But it's not more accurate to real life than the trailer shot, it's just more accurate to our expectations for a flying ship from the OT.

Of course this is not a strictly fair comparison. Not even close. ILM would have that model shot looking a whole lot better. Weathering, detailing, etc.

But you can look at that shot right now and see the issue I'm driving at.
    From
    Northern Ireland
    Sep 13, 2015, 4:35 PM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #37

Ok,...so this is where I'm at with the FineMolds 72nd,....as I said earlier the Foamalux is the part thats keeping her fat

ESB landing gear bays will be removable

At the minute the Mandibles slot in

I tested the cockpit tube & right enough it points down slightly as Hunk a Junk had experenced

Thats it at the minute,....the next part will be re-attiching the docking corridors

J
    Last edited by Jaitea; Sep 13, 2015 at 5:44 PM.
    From
    Ireland
    Sep 13, 2015, 5:41 PM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #38

Nice curves
    Sep 13, 2015, 9:39 PM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #39

Looking good! This brings back nightmares. Just wait. Putting the boxes back on and matching the new curve is a pain in the seat cushion!
    From
    Bellevue, NE
    Sep 14, 2015, 12:12 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #40

Hunk a Junk said: View Post
    Would you remove the additional TESB landing gear boxes?
    That would depend on if I can only get one or two of the kits. If it is just one, probably not. Two... I might have a go at it (unless Bandai perhaps molds the gear boxes separate anticipating that an ANH version of the ship would be done eventually).
    From
    Germany
    Sep 14, 2015, 5:11 PM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #41

The curves of the falcon look really good. I'm curious to see the next steps. Nice project!
    Sep 16, 2015, 8:22 PM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #42

Nice work, and yes the curves make it look so much better, I really don't like the hockey puck look.
    From
    Rotterdam
    Sep 18, 2015, 4:29 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #43

Nice workwork as always Jaitea

Question, these pictures are from April from Bandai presentation. It looks like a FM Falcon with new radar as Bandai don't have their own Falcon model. Could it be that Bandai borrowed this model from Fine Molds?

Last edited by sqbiedoo; Sep 18, 2015 at 4:53 AM.
    Sep 18, 2015, 4:48 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #44

sqbiedoo said: View Post
    Nice workwork as always Jaitea

Question, these pictures are from April from Bandai presentation. It looks like a FM Falcon with new radar as Bandai don't have their own Falcon model. Could this be?
    http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/...psppv7liim.jpg
    http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/...psav5ncykv.jpg
    Im not sure that is a bandai falcon. I think its a fine molds falcon that has a different dish. im sorry if iv misunderstood your point tho. I remember someone saying that anyway.
  20. Member Since
    Jul 2012
    Sep 18, 2015, 5:04 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #45

I also think it looks like the FM Falcon with a new dish.
    From
    Northern Ireland
    Sep 18, 2015, 5:10 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #46

It is the FineMolds, a member here built it.....& built a few of them

they were for concept only & wont be in the film

J
    From
    Northern Ireland
    Oct 20, 2015, 5:31 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #47

Some wee things I noticed from the trailer

Open hatches of the landing gears

The turret is turned backwards to shoot at the TIE

J
    Oct 20, 2015, 7:38 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #48

Wait, what? The turret disk rotates???? How does that jive with the interior sets? So the gunport rooms and the connecting tunnel that's fixed to the interior ring hallway somehow rotate too? And this is now canon? No, really???
    From
    Rotterdam
    Oct 20, 2015, 8:04 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #49

wow! nice observation. Back to the drawingboard then thanks to JJ.
    From
    Northern Ireland
    Oct 20, 2015, 8:29 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects #50

It doesn't bother me (apart from the logic of the turret wells)...as a kid, up until I knew better, I always thought it performed like a turret anyway,.....perhaps with no gunner they can operate like that 'unlocked'

heres another nice image......(love everything I've seen & heard on the new trailer BTW)

J