The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects

It also makes very little sense for the turrets to spin unless they do it independently of each other.

Which says that the ladder tube is stationary, while the turrets spin

Last edited:
These arguments are exactly why I was opposed to JJ Abrams doing this movie. I knew he would really f with this iconic ship just like he did the Enterprise.

These arguments are exactly why I was opposed to JJ Abrams doing this movie. I knew he would really f with this iconic ship just like he did the Enterprise.
It's like he does things because they look cool, without thinking of the ramifications

Mind you, I'm one of those people who shivers at the thought of capital ships in the atmosphere. Something rebels does all the time.
Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

As I said earlier, someone in the design department has noticed the corner cutting of the OT gunner stations & they've fixed it......it's gone back to the Joe Jonston design

The fact is that the position of the gunner station in the turret would be impossible to access from the ladder entrance without the rotation of the turret to get to that position,.....and a rotation of the ladder tube also,....so that the ladders are on the back of all of the ladder tube......so by flipping the gunner station upside down makes the logic simpler

I'll post some more images later,

J

Last edited:
The funny thing about a ship like the falcon is that shooting behind them is so much more practical than being able to shoot ahead.

As I said earlier, someone in the design department has noticed the corner cutting of the OT gunner stations & they've fixed it......
J

I'm not in the camp that these changes are a "fix." If anything, they've just made things worse. I could accept that the orientation of the gunports to the ladder tunnel to the hallway didn't line up (nothing between the interior and the exterior on the Falcon actually fits), but now we have rotating rooms that are locked together via the tunnel -- which makes no logical sense. Which gunner controls how the rooms spin??? I'd have preferred they simply redesign the quad-cannon mount to allow the gun to point backwards and say it was a modification Han made when he replaced the radar dish. Making the entire turret spin just opens up another giant can of facepalm.

Why don't we wait to see if JJ addresses how the turrets spin relative to the apparently new gun mount before we start with the facepalms? I recall people complaining that the extra emitters on Kylo's saber could just be cut off, whereas in the latest trailer that looks to be not the case. Wouldn't it be cool if the SW7 design team came up with an answer to the turret riddle (which never worked in the OT) that actually made sense?

Why don't we wait to see if JJ addresses how the turrets spin relative to the apparently new gun mount before we start with the facepalms? I recall people complaining that the extra emitters on Kylo's saber could just be cut off, whereas in the latest trailer that looks to be not the case. Wouldn't it be cool if the SW7 design team came up with an answer to the turret riddle (which never worked in the OT) that actually made sense?

Yes
said in a way I failed to
J

Quick question about the turrets/cannons in ANH...does the large central support tube (that supplies rotation in the X-axis relative to the gunner) terminate into the cannon strictly for filming reasons (i,e., it's beefy)? It should terminate after the smaller support spars branch off it (that supply Y-axis rotation), and does so in drawings, models, etc. It would be potentially restrictive in Y-axis angular range and require a bearing assembly at the end (the tube spins), not to mention it's unnecessary...so I can only assume it was something that they assumed no one would pay attention to.

If this has been covered eons ago, my apologies. :)

cannon.gif

My Bandai arrived today.
Now I'm kinda scared to try lighting it.
Probably just build it OOB - unless I can find some photo-etch grates for the cooling tower thingies on the engine deck.

My Bandai arrived today.
Now I'm kinda scared to try lighting it.
Probably just build it OOB - unless I can find some photo-etch grates for the cooling tower thingies on the engine deck.
Has anyone mentioned the photo-etch? I'm gonna wait until they exist before I do that part. I'm gonna play the long game on this one

Has anyone mentioned the photo-etch? I'm gonna wait until they exist before I do that part. I'm gonna play the long game on this one

As far as I know, they don't exist yet.
But I'm sure they will in time.
I'm gonna try to hold out on finishing my kit until they're available.

I'm gonna put a spot of PVA glue or blu-tack to hold mine on until PE is available

So,...are we all happy with the turret gun logic at the minute,....well until we see it in action in TFA?

J

Well, but then the position of the Windows in Front of the gunner will change, because the windows are set outside the disk-axis!
http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=555493&d=1447669712
You know, it will be addressed. This is one of the biggest, most glaring inconsistencies in the SW universe; every fanboy knows about it, including JJ. He turned the turret around, you know it's no accident. Y'all have 31 days to figure it out before the official canon solution is revealed.

You know, it will be addressed. This is one of the biggest, most glaring inconsistencies in the SW universe; every fanboy knows about it, including JJ. He turned the turret around, you know it's no accident. Y'all have 31 days to figure it out before the official canon solution is revealed.

I'm putting money on it NOT being addressed. They'll just do it and leave it to fans to contrive an explanation -- the same way they did with the Enterprise's "brewery," the impossibly large shuttle bay, the torpedo cannon hatches mysteriously appearing on the side of the ship, etc. etc. etc. I bet Finn will climb into the gunport, there will be some CGI hocus pocus to make it look like the turret is swiveling, but us modelers will look at it and know that it couldn't actually work in a physical world.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back