My First Thread, MPC Millennium Falcon Build

Roboted, to my eye, the most obvious result is the excess height of the docking tunnel end-plates, making them appear too narrow & the docking ring too small. Perhaps you can slightly increase the outward slope of the docking tunnel's horizontal (top & bottom) surfaces to reduce that space from the edges to the docking ring. The tunnel side walls (the angled parts) would obviously either have to be correspondingly trimmed at the top or the bottoms shifted wider on the hull. Or both - or neither? Tough call... [Edit: looking at it, trimming the top edges of the sidewalls and tilting them in is the only workable method... your width for the intersection with the hull is already where it has to be...]

For what it is worth, like the others, I think you're doing a great job wrangling the ol' flying burger. Not only a ship of riddles but a really tough shape to get nailed down.

Regards, Robert

Last edited:
Roboted, to my eye, the most obvious result is the excess height of the docking tunnel end-plates, making them appear too narrow & the docking ring too small. Perhaps you can slightly increase the outward slope of the docking tunnel's horizontal (top & bottom) surfaces to reduce that space from the edges to the docking ring. The tunnel side walls (the angled parts) would obviously either have to be correspondingly trimmed at the top or the bottoms shifted wider on the hull. Or both - or neither? Tough call... [Edit: looking at it, trimming the top edges of the sidewalls and tilting them in is the only workable method... your wide for the intersection with the hull is already where it has to be...]

For what it is worth, like the others, I think you're doing a great job wrangling the ol' flying burger. Not only a ship of riddles but a really tough shape to get nailed down.

Regards, Robert

Your definatly right about that. I think im just going to live with the flaws at this point. Im certain that in the future i will scratch build a 32inch falcon based on the 5 footer. that way i can achieve nicer detail and get the shape more accurate.

Many thanks for your kind words and interest, its always a boost :)

Have you considered the Hasbro 28" Falcon as a candidate for your project? It has a quite accurate shape, excepting some minor points such as those details that are from the 32" model (which are already provided for by Tony Salzo's Shapeways bits in his '308' shop.) The biggest challenge is actually removing any surface detailing specific to the 32" model, which the toy mostly uses, though it actually has a mix of details. For example, the F1 racer chassis parts used either side of the upper 'jawbox' are from the 5-footer as is the cockpit 'cone'.

I hope to do one as such myself since the 5-footer is the 'one true Falcon' for me (not discounting the beauty of the other 'versions' derived from it!) Given the (even now, growing) number of bits being offered to update the Hasbro MF, it takes some of the 'sting' from having to remove all that detail (which is otherwise quite satisfying.) My idea is to use a rheostat- controlled soldering iron 'blade' tool to make the denuding of the hull much easier to accomplish. Then it is just a matter of applying the correct detail. Not a small task but perhaps less than building a Pocher automobile model! ;^D

Great fun,eh!
Regards, Robert

Roboted, to my eye, the most obvious result is the excess height of the docking tunnel end-plates, making them appear too narrow & the docking ring too small. Perhaps you can slightly increase the outward slope of the docking tunnel's horizontal (top & bottom) surfaces to reduce that space from the edges to the docking ring. The tunnel side walls (the angled parts) would obviously either have to be correspondingly trimmed at the top or the bottoms shifted wider on the hull. Or both - or neither? Tough call... [Edit: looking at it, trimming the top edges of the sidewalls and tilting them in is the only workable method... your wide for the intersection with the hull is already where it has to be...]

Regards, Robert

Sorry to take an age for a reply,Very rude of me :(

I have done exactly what you said here and it has definatly helped the overall look,I will get the pics uploaded as soon as i can. Im Now pumped for the the Bandai 1/72 falcon soon to be released so this project may end up dying off entirely. i would be happy to sell it on cheaply to an enthusiastic forum member who wants to complete it.

I sort the pics and see how it all goes.

The docking rings have been shortend as much as possible without mseeing with the overal shape from the front.It definatly looks rather on the tubby side but im just going to call it final.There is no way im going to mess with the structure any more. If i dont get the bandai 1/72 then i might go the route of wills modular system.

WIN_20170607_22_07_25_Pro.jpgWIN_20170607_22_07_32_Pro.jpgWIN_20170607_22_07_12_Pro.jpgWIN_20170607_22_08_08_Pro.jpgWIN_20170607_22_08_20_Pro.jpgWIN_20170607_22_08_38_Pro.jpgWIN_20170607_22_08_54_Pro.jpg

Thanks Will :)

Do you have any different greeblies casted by any chance? Im thinking some kitbashing parts might give me the boost i need to start working on the MPC again.I dont want to have to scratch build every part.

Thanks Will :)

Do you have any different greeblies casted by any chance? Im thinking some kitbashing parts might give me the boost i need to start working on the MPC again.I dont want to have to scratch build every part.

You betcha, shoot me a PM with what you need :)

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back