Attention: BANDAI will stop selling kits outside Japan

spinner 44

Sr Member
I just got an email from 1999.co.jp, where I regulary preorder all my Bandai Star Wars kits.

"We have been contacted by Bandai that they do not want their
Star Wars kits sold outside Japan, so we are no longer taking
new orders for these items outside Japan and have removed them
from our English website."

They are not cancelling preorders, but from now it would be not possible to buy any kits.

Last edited:
Re: Attention: BANDAI may stop selling kits outside Japan

I doubt they will stop ebayers from gettiing these out due to the market size which has already been tapped. demand for sales will always trump what bandai may try to enforce.

At least i certainly hope this is this case. I will start a petition to JJ himself if this happens. Dont you keep our kits from us you feckers

But hey, at least we (outside Japan) have these super awesome kits by Revell that could give 2 ****s about non-kiddie level models. :rolleyes Because that's the only maker they seem to care about.

Chris

I doubt they will stop ebayers from gettiing these out due to the market size which has already been tapped. demand for sales will always trump what bandai may try to enforce.

At least i certainly hope this is this case. I will start a petition to JJ himself if this happens. Dont you keep our kits from us you feckers

We don't know who or what caused this. It is also possible that due to the license agreement and the export ban the kits are going to be confiscated by the customs. So if you order any Bandai SW kits (no matter from where) you could lose your money and the items as well.

In addition, I don't think that JJ is the right person to turn to. Better ask Disney which licensee caused this action.

Last edited:

I really hope all of this is hogwash. its so stupid that they wouldnt just sell the kits in the UK and the USA when there is such a good demand. why just why?

We don't know who or what caused this. It is also possible that due to the license agreement and the export ban the kits are going to be confiscated by the customs. So if you order any Bandai SW kits (no matter from where) you could lose your money and the items as well.

In addition, I don't think that JJ is the right person to turn to. Better ask Disney which licensee caused this action.

I guess direct with bandai or yeh disney. i dont think they will open up parcels to try and take down model kits, its not like they are guns or drugs

As I've understood the license, it's for Japan or Asia only. In the spirit of that and to the letter of that, I don't see why why Bandai--and didn't a long time ago--make this requirement of it's retailer. Same for Fine Molds. I'm not happy about it, but I get it. As for these kits being confiscated by Customs, I really don't see that happening. Will Customs open every package marked "toys"?

Someone posted yesterday that Revell is probaby monitoring Bandai to see about the sales to decide if Revell should market some "real" SW kits. But looks like Revell might have found another way to ensure it's kits are kinda the best available.

There are a few friendly people on the boards who live in Japan who may be willing to help members out, too.

Mike Todd

I guess direct with bandai or yeh disney. i dont think they will open up parcels to try and take down model kits, its not like they are guns or drugs
Certainly they are not life-threatening items ;) , however, if the export ban implies an import ban that might happen at your local customs office whenever they see a note on the parcel saying "SW Bandai model kit". Well, we'll see.

Hello, newbie here just sharing my thoughts on the matter...

Regarding Hobby Search, AmiAmi and the "export ban", so far it only applies to Bandai's model kits as their SH Figuarts line is still available for (pre)order on pretty much all websites, in fact you can still order every other piece of Star Wars merch from any manufacturer, so all this gives credibility to the notion the ban was enacted on behalf of Revell under the request of the IP holder, Disney.

While HLJ hasn't delisted them from their catalogue yet as the others have, they haven't announced any preorders for the new ep7 kits either so that may be an effect of the ban as well.

Again, there will always be options. No one in China is going to give a Rats *****, about what Revell/Disney wishes them to do.

If Revell thinks this will help sell their garbage kits, they are sadly mistaken. Angering your customer base is no way to win their loyalty.

Again, there will always be options. No one in China is going to give a Rats *****, about what Revell/Disney wishes them to do. .

As I posted at SSM, Anigrand gave a rat's decal piece.

This reminds me a political cartoon I saw years ago, at a time when Disney might have been causing a stink about all that unlicensed Disney crap in China. There is a guy--probably a political prisoner--chained to the wall of a Chinese prison, hanging by his wrists, and obviously bloody. One guard is standing there with a bloody whip. The prisoner has a Mickey Mouse T-shirt on. A second guard walds in and says, "We need to start paying royalties for that shirt."

Anigrand was making an illegal unlicensed kit, not reselling licensed products in the grey market. There is a large distinction there.

If companies don't do it, individuals will.

I'll believe it when I see a message from HLJ. And even if it happened, I know a guy living in Japan.

I wouldn't think Disney would complain who buys the kits.....more sold, more money

It would likely be Revell seething at the great reviews & images of the Bandai kits, and trying to put their foot down to enforce the contract they have

Its a damn shame that its ended up like this

We will just have to wait & see if TFA kits appear on the HLJ site at the end of the month for pre-order

Its like we had our time with 16x9 4k High Definition, but now we're forced to buy 4x3 CRT & Pre-watched VHS tapes

J

There are 81 listings for the moving edition X-wing on Amazon (US). It may get a little less convenient to get them, but the Bandai kits will be available.

It may get a little less convenient to get them, but the Bandai kits will be available.

Right. If Bandai makes them, we'll get them. If this proves to be true, then it's time to press Disney to make better license deals in the future. I doubt the lawyers and business people making these deals truly understand the market and it may take some feet stomping to help them get the message. It's not like Star Wars fans aren't highly skilled in making a giant stink until someone listens to them.:ninja

LOL. I'm still waiting for the Original unaltered trilogy on Blu-Ray. I hate having to go on a torrent site to get the Despecialized Edition.

Im loving the Spirit in this thread, This is the nicest forum iv been on, you guys rule :) .

Im up for making any noise needed to get the kits iv wanted since i heard TFA was announced.

LOL. I'm still waiting for the Original unaltered trilogy on Blu-Ray. I hate having to go on a torrent site to get the Despecialized Edition.

That's a much different conversation with more nuance than anyone wants to get into here. :lol

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back