Attention: BANDAI will stop selling kits outside Japan

Re: Attention: BANDAI may stop selling kits outside Japan

I really wish that a detailed press release would be released concerning this issue so we all can make arrangements if necessary to continue purchasing these items. These Star Wars items helped get me back into models building (when not scratch building my own).

So, to sum this up: Disney can abuse the H1B Visa system to replace their long time loyal employees with lower paid H1B workers from India but we can't be allowed to buy Star Wars models from Japan.

I think that sums the whole hypocrisy up nicely.

HLJ has fallen victim too. The new kits are available for pre-order on their Japanese site but not the English one. The older kits are still there though. This blows Bantha poodoo.

Chris

HLJ has fallen victim too. The new kits are available for pre-order on their Japanese site but not the English one. The older kits are still there though. This blows Bantha poodoo.

Chris

...but perhaps this is the way it always goes on HLJ,....The kits might be on the Japanese version first (optimistic voice), then appear on the International

....hopefully

J

I just purchased the "Chicken Walker" from HLP--I just paid for it now--and the deal went through without a hitch.

Just received an email from HLJ stating that the "Chicken Walker" has shipped and is on its way to me.

The company with the most interest is the holder of the license. It is Disney.
According to a statement from Georg Lucas, for legal reasons Lucas film had (and now Disney have) to act against illegal exports, otherwise they are in danger of losing the license and a hell of a lot money. When making this statement to fans, Georg Lucas tried to get some understanding for the legal situation from the fans. He avoided to directly say, that he and Lucas Film have no interest to prevent Fans from buying Star Wars items from all over the world. It was obvious that were he is in danger to loose the license he will act, otherwise he and Lucas Film would look away.
In my opinion, Disney is in the same situation. Like Lucas Film did, they will act when they have to, they will look away where ever they can.
Michael
Disney can and does go crazy protecting their properties.
If you want to see what it is like to be on the receiving end of a Disney suit take a look at this... and this is about cookies, not props or models.
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/2329533-cake.html

...but perhaps this is the way it always goes on HLJ,....The kits might be on the Japanese version first (optimistic voice), then appear on the International

....hopefully

J

Tried to trick them with using my login on the japanese site, but that did not work the way, i hoped... no login possible...

The prices on the japanese Site are also different (on the .com-Site ALL the Star Wars products are a little bit cheaper) - maybe you're right and they will soon update the .com with the models too! Hope dies last... :unsure

HobbyLinkJapan has the new kits (X-Wing & Falcon) on pre-order - but only on their Japanese page.

damn this sucks, and I was just about to get into these kits once i had finished my last two gundam kits :( That new Falcon look awesome.

From Hobby Talk:

This is the email I just got from HLJ:

Mark Kutsugi (HobbyLink Japan)

Jim-

Thanks for writing. Bandai's kits for "The Force Awakens" are unfortunately not able to be offered outside Japan, so are only on our domestic web site.

We're very sorry about this situation. Thanks very much for your understanding, and for shopping with us.

Best Regards,

Mark Kutsugi
HobbyLink Japan

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showpost.php?p=5349562&postcount=250

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: Hopefully, OT kits will still be available. (Just a wish from me).

The question on everyone's mind......will they do an OT Falcon?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

The question on everyone's mind......will they do an OT Falcon?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

An interesting point. Bandai could just offer their TFA Falcon kit with a different radar dish and claim it's an OT Falcon, but would Revell then raise a stink? Could they? I mean, even based on the TFA digital Falcon model, the Bandai Falcon is still a closer approximation of the OT Falcon than anything AMT or Revell ever produced. What is Revell going to argue, that their completely wrong kits are a better representation of the OT Falcon than a Bandai kit that gets it all right?

That is what I'm hoping for, a 1/72 OT Falcon. As long as I can get the OT kits, I will be happy.

So far FB boy's post doesn't pass the sniff test. As of now, Revell's crap is still for sale in Japan and the only thing affected appears to be Star Wars model kits made by Bandai. Bandai's preassembled pieces are still available on the sites that have removed all the models. Also, the email sent from Hobby Search, singles out Star Wars 'kits' as the banned items.

Its strange that HLJ still is selling their SW kits. Except for the new X-wing MF, the other models don't really appeal to me as much for TFA. I know some may disagree, but if its just the TFA models that get affected, I won't be too disappointed right now since there are still quite a few OT models that need to be released.

TazMan2000

Just received my notice from HLJ. I ordered 3 O.T. models, no problems (so far).

So far FB boy's post doesn't pass the sniff test. As of now, Revell's crap is still for sale in Japan and the only thing affected appears to be Star Wars model kits made by Bandai. Bandai's preassembled pieces are still available on the sites that have removed all the models. Also, the email sent from Hobby Search, singles out Star Wars 'kits' as the banned items.

It's entirely sensible, pressure from Disney is very likely to be the culprit as they own the IP, the controversy is whether they're simply enforcing the license or acting on behalf of another company. I believe the Revell SW products still listed on Japanese online stores predate the Disney acquisition, the license shakeup, long sold out, and out of production; the same applies to the FineMolds kits, still listed but we all know we won't be seeing them again brand new.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back