Attention: BANDAI will stop selling kits outside Japan

Re: Attention: BANDAI may stop selling kits outside Japan

I think everyone is skipping over the fact that Diamond Comic Distributors has just been named Bandai's "preferred distributor" for the US. I'm really starting to believe that Revell has nothing to do with this and we'll be seeing kits from U.S. retailers soon.

Possible but Bandai should've banned online retailers from selling its Gundam model kits and the rest of its catalogue overseas, that hasn't happened yet, it was also an agreement with Bandai USA who don't necessarily have the same catalogue or hold the same rights as their counterparts in Asia. LBX especially, Bandai USA holds a license to sell LBX Sprukits in the states but the Japanese LBX kits haven't been delisted from online stores.

Many Japanese hobby companies have also been selling their products abroad through their preferred/official distributors ever since yet haven't imposed the same restraining order on Japanese online stores to prevent them from shipping these products to other countries.

But who knows? Maybe Bandai USA nabbed a deal at the last minute and we'll be seeing Star Wars under their Sprukits label soon.

Last edited:

This post scared me! Just bought my y-wing from eBay. Purchased tonight and already received shipping confirmation. Tokyo-Hobby

I knew this would happen. Revell is behind it, the company owning Robotech has been going after importers of Macross kits from japan for years to force people to buy their overpriced kits that are lower quality. The modeling community needs to spread this news that Revell may be behind this so they know.

To be fair to Revell (though I'm not sure they deserve fairness at the moment), they don't own Robotech and haven't produced Robotech kits since the mid-80's. A company named Harmony Gold owns Robotech and has blocked the import of Macross toys, while they've produced their own toys with a US based manufacturer. I WISH Harmony Gold would license new, accurate Robotech kits but they have no interest in doing so...

Who has the biggest interest in taking actions to prevent Star Wars items from being sold to places were the companies do not have the license?

I do not think that it is Revell. Revell does targets a totally different age group with their "easy kits" and "light and sound kits".

The company with the most interest is the holder of the license. It is Disney.
According to a statement from Georg Lucas, for legal reasons Lucas film had (and now Disney have) to act against illegal exports, otherwise they are in danger of losing the license and a hell of a lot money. When making this statement to fans, Georg Lucas tried to get some understanding for the legal situation from the fans. He avoided to directly say, that he and Lucas Film have no interest to prevent Fans from buying Star Wars items from all over the world. It was obvious that were he is in danger to loose the license he will act, otherwise he and Lucas Film would look away.
In my opinion, Disney is in the same situation. Like Lucas Film did, they will act when they have to, they will look away where ever they can.
Michael

I just placed an order at HLJ for the snow speeder, Tie Fighter and Y wing. It went without a glitch, I got the conformation for the order straight away. It is monday afternoon in Japan right now, so maybe HLJ has not been notified by Bandai yet? I'll have to wait for my shipping notice, then I will start breathing again.

Yeah, I read that too. :(

Curious why it only seems to be being applied to Bandai, though? The Revell kits are still being listed on Japanese sites. Shouldn't they be restricted to N. America and Europe?

P.S. I love the current RPF banner, with Kirk looking at and not being able to reach the dying Spock....we are Kirk and the out of reach Spock are the Bandai kits...very fitting :lol

Chris

Who has the biggest interest in taking actions to prevent Star Wars items from being sold to places were the companies do not have the license?

I do not think that it is Revell. Revell does targets a totally different age group with their "easy kits" and "light and sound kits".

The company with the most interest is the holder of the license. It is Disney.
According to a statement from Georg Lucas, for legal reasons Lucas film had (and now Disney have) to act against illegal exports, otherwise they are in danger of losing the license and a hell of a lot money. When making this statement to fans, Georg Lucas tried to get some understanding for the legal situation from the fans. He avoided to directly say, that he and Lucas Film have no interest to prevent Fans from buying Star Wars items from all over the world. It was obvious that were he is in danger to loose the license he will act, otherwise he and Lucas Film would look away.
In my opinion, Disney is in the same situation. Like Lucas Film did, they will act when they have to, they will look away where ever they can.
Michael
I'm unclear about what Lucas Film did about kits being sold outside the market. I never noticed any restrictions on buying FM SW stuff through online Japanese shops. If these Japanese online shops stop shipping to the US, it will be a new thing. And how would Disney/Lucasfilm lose the license and any money? Unless the license they lose is from competitors, like Revell. So ultimately, the pressure comes from there. I don't think anyone has suggested that Revell sent a letter directly to Bandai or sellers, but it still seems like that is the source of the issue.
Mike Todd

I'm sure the ban is a combo of both. Disney is ferocious in protecting its property and Revell USA was probably whinning about the praise heaped on the initial offerings by Bandai and how their upcoming product paled in comparison.

Revell also recently acquired the Fine Molds kits and will be selling them under their brand this year. They have every reason to want to keep people away from the Bandai kits. They likely paid a lot of money for access to those molds and they're all inferior to Bandai's work.\\

I'm unclear about what Lucas Film did about kits being sold outside the market. I never noticed any restrictions on buying FM SW stuff through online Japanese shops.
Lucas Film told German customs that they do not want Fine Molds kits to be imported into Germany. So German customs did sent some of my kits to Lucas attorney. Standard procedure in that case was destruction of the item. That happened to quite a number of folks here in Germany with items produced by Fine Molds and by other companies.
Fortunately most customs did not know, so most kits came through.
Michael

Amazon uk still has all the current released bandai kits from various japanese sellers, nothing posted there about the ban, i currently have two on the way so hopefully they'll arrive.

Revell also recently acquired the Fine Molds kits and will be selling them under their brand this year. They have every reason to want to keep people away from the Bandai kits. They likely paid a lot of money for access to those molds and they're all inferior to Bandai's work.\\
I can follow to what you have written. I think too, that Revell can be the one that is behind. I just do not think they are. When I was in contact with Revell Germany (see former post) they had absolutely no interest in taking action because they did not see an influence on their sales. Maybe with Revell USA we have a different situation. Maybe it was Fine Molds trying to sell their kits via Revell in USA. Many people say, that they were the ones who pointed Lucas Film against Anigrand.
Until we have proper inside information, it is all speculation.
Michael

I'm sure the ban is a combo of both. Disney is ferocious in protecting its property and Revell USA was probably whinning about the praise heaped on the initial offerings by Bandai and how their upcoming product paled in comparison.

I agree, BUT why would/should they care? As the Revell defenders keep saying and praising, these kits aren't aimed at us, they are designed for kids and beginners to get them interested in the hobby. Hell, even the GM of Revell said that. The problem also is that their then are NO quality kits for we older/experienced modelers. Revell says they do in the form of the FM kits, but that is from a different product line as far as I'm concerned, as they are from the OT. That still leaves nothing from TFA for more advanced modelers in N. America and Europe. Which SUCKS

Chris

I can follow to what you have written. I think too, that Revell can be the one that is behind. I just do not think they are. When I was in contact with Revell Germany (see former post) they had absolutely no interest in taking action because they did not see an influence on their sales. Maybe with Revell USA we have a different situation. Maybe it was Fine Molds trying to sell their kits via Revell in USA. Many people say, that they were the ones who pointed Lucas Film against Anigrand.
Until we have proper inside information, it is all speculation.
Michael

Like I said in my quote above, IF the FM imports are the cause, it still shouldn't matter. Those kits are from the OT, and still leaves nothing from TFA for more advanced modelers.

Chris

That still leaves nothing from TFA for more advanced modelers in N. America and Europe. Which SUCKS

I wouldn't say that. The skill level two kit coming out in October look to be QUITE accurate to ILM's models from what I've seen. Accurate in detail and proportion. Well, not the Falcon, but the new TIE, X-wing and Kylo Ren shuttle. I think they will build up to very nice display pieces. The only thing might be that the detail is a bit soft, as sometimes Revell's stuff is. We'll just have to wait and see.

I believe it is Disney acting on Revell's behalf. This currently appears to only affect model kits (and Bandai's specifically). Bandai's pre-assembled Star Wars figures are not limited, only the model kits.

Certainly not the end of the world, not even close, but very annoying.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back