Yellowjacket (Ant-Man 2015) Progress.

Creator1326

A few pics. This is going to be a quick build. If it wasn't for the SDCC pics/videos of the Sideshow Collectibles statue I'd be up a creek right now.

Here's the fabric I had made.

It's just yellow spandex with a gold vinyl pressed onto it. The hexagons were scaled up from the statue (via pictures)
FABRIC!!!.jpgFABRIC CLOSEUP!!!.jpg

I've been using Sintra to make the backpack for the robotic arms. I made a model/pattern out of poster paper first.
backpack paper.jpg

I then used a Foamwerks bevel cutter to cut "v" groves in the sintra.
making grooves.jpg

Next came the vent details. Just cut and layered them in a cut out hole.
backpack more details.jpg

Ahh the gluing...my fingers to everything
Backpack gluing.jpgBackpack gluing patching seams.jpgBackpack gluing done.jpg

The hub on the backpack will light up too. I layered three 3mm pieces of Sintra and then sanded them down on my bench belt sander and cut out the hexagon hole with my scroll saw.
backpack hump cutting.jpg

Then used some clear resin and a small black sintra hexagon to make the window. Just a high brightness 3mm yellow LED to light it up.
backpack hump clear resin back.jpgbackpack hump clear resin yellow.jpg

I'm scared to make a giant mold for the black details on the chest. I at least have it worked out on paper and it "fit" me so for right now this is the plan. Make a mold out of Sintra by carving/grinding in the details and use Smooth-on PMC-121 wet urethane rubber for the actual piece that will be glued to the fabric.
chest pattern.jpg

Last edited:
Working on more patterns today before I go over to my seamstresses house so she can teach me to sew. These are the patterns for the knee plate and the long side thing on the calf.
leg and knee patterns.JPG

In theory petg dyed yellow. Sintra or worbla for the black part. I plan to edge light a second petg lense on the inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So my friend Christie had the brilliant idea to baste stitch around the outside edges of the yellow "stripe" that goes down the legs. Then we cut the black down, tuck it under and sew down edge so it looks like the yellow is under the black.
pants starting.JPGpants 1:2 done.jpg

FANCY PANTS done! Yellowjacket's pants are done. Not pictured are the stirrups we added to keep them pulled down. Now I can finish making/printing the armor bits since I have an exact fit now. FYI, sewing two different materials of different percentages of stretch is a booger.
pants front.JPGpants left.JPGpants right.JPG

Instead of using a zillion pins my friend had the brilliant idea of just using a little rubber cement to glue down each of the folds on this four way stretch faux leather.
sleeves gluing.JPG

Two sleeves took four hours of sewing, pinning, picking, gluing, and swearing. If we had a swear jar, we'd be halfway to Disneyland.
sleeves done.JPG

sleeves done.JPG

sleeves gluing.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the fabric part of the body suit is done, time to get cracking on the shoes, finish the knees, gloves, chest rubber bits, and do a helmet in 12 days. Ya I got this <major anxiety>
DONE!!!.jpg

Here's what it looks like with sun shining on it.
[video]https://youtu.be/2Nqs6Fmc2sE[/video]

Attachments

• DONE!!!.JPG
    DONE!!!.JPG
    884.5 KB · Views: 240
You really do wear a yellow jacket in these pics ;)
I really hope you get this done in time, I really like your approach to the costume.
Looking forward to your next update!

After a few months I gave up trying to design my own helmet. I commissioned DrumGuy560 to design it for me and he has done a wonderful job and you should check out his Antman helmet. It's is stunning.

12307438_1641338109449405_7967142096405538638_o.jpg

I'm also starting to 3D print the model. I'm working with a new filament type too called nGen from Colorfabb. I'm having issues with temp, flow, bed temp, and I think the printer needs a whole new calibration but the first print isn't all that half bad. Below is the mouthpiece.

Mouth_web.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back