Destiny Ghost Build

Skigoddard

Hello!

Over the past few days, I have been building a model of the Frontier Ghost Shell from Destiny. I started with a 3D print in PLA. There were lots of rough stepping lines, so I gave it a few coats of Rustoleum Primer Filler then sanded it smooth for several hours. In order to keep my sanity, I had my iPad with Netflix on me and rewatched a few episodes of Doctor Who! I find sanding is a lot easier when you're listening to music or watching a video. Once it was smooth, I hand painted it with acrylic paint. Once that was done, I weathered it to make it look less like a cheap wooden birdhouse, and more like something that could help conquer the Fallen. I made a mistake at the end in using a matte clear coat to finish the piece. It completely dulled the metallic sheen in all the weathering details. Next time, I will be sure to use a glossy coat!!

DSC01020_zpsfl5zk7j6.jpg
DSC01021_zpsxupg1l0a.jpg
DSC01025_zpsih1qxuys.jpg
DSC01027_zpsrgx5vnlp.jpg
DSC01028_zpseacwtxfu.jpg
DSC01032_zpsg8sxb3kn.jpg
DSC01034_zpsulbc2bj1.jpg
DSC01035_zps64hwgceo.jpg
DSC01037_zpsjbp1s9pc.jpg
DSC01040_zps6qletlxa.jpg
DSC01041_zpsefgoxbxg.jpg
DSC01038_zpsa4ein3hx.jpg
Final Product:
DSC01049_zpsd7pclpyj.jpg
DSC01047_zpsdrf5kctk.jpg
DSC01048_zpskx6xnxfx.jpg
DSC01050_zpskbw0vpjg.jpg
Twisting the handle part on the back turns the lights on and off
DSC01051_zpsgzojcuys.jpg

That's it, hope you enjoyed!

I purchased a generalist ghost from Brian a week ago but I've been putting off finishing it since I've never completed a 3d print before. A few questions: How many coats of filler/primer did you use? What grit sandpaper? How did you manage to keep the the fine line detail with the filler and sanding?

Dang it.

Every time I come to this site I find something else to spend money on. :lol

Ghost looks great. Hopefully YOUR ghost has better acting skills than the Dinklebot in the game.

I purchased a generalist ghost from Brian a week ago but I've been putting off finishing it since I've never completed a 3d print before. A few questions: How many coats of filler/primer did you use? What grit sandpaper? How did you manage to keep the the fine line detail with the filler and sanding?

I added a light initial coat, sanded some, added a heavier coat, sanded a ton, then repeated. So, 3 coats total, but it may vary depending on how well it cleans up. I used 320 grit paper, and a pad for the center sphere so it would conform to the geometry a little better. The back of the sphere still had a few pits from the stepping lines, so I brushed on some primer/filler then sanded wherever needed. I made sure to retrace the fine lines with an Xacto knife after every coat and sanding to keep them from being filled in. Good luck with your build!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back