Mjolnir Thor 2 Hammer

JUSTINIAN

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
My son was turning 4 this month, and he said that he wanted a new Thor hammer. I got him the cheap foam one when he was 2, and he banged it around and chewed on it, until it fell apart. I said I would get him a new one. He thinks that he is getting another foam one, but I am going to be making a very high quality replica.

I liked the design from Thor 2 and I am pretty sure that it is the same design in AOU. So I went ahead and designed it in Corel.
THOR%20HAMMER_zpsozo5v2ak.jpg

I went ahead and did a test piece to see how the details would work. I used a laser cutter to engrave the details.
IMG_1432_zpslqbz8kdp.jpg

I was pretty happy with it, and felt that I was ready to start building the rest. I'll be making it in multiple sections.

Here is the base of the head All put together. It still needs some filler and sanding, but a great start.
IMG_1433_zpsvmto2taq.jpg

Then with some primer.
IMG_1436_zpsrhfbwsqr.jpg

IMG_1437_zpsydyuqu5r.jpg

Then after some sanding, it was sealed with a gloss clear coat.
IMG_1458_zpsgmxexx5w.jpg

Once I let this dry, I'll start to make the molds.

Last edited:
Looks great!

Was there a little 'piece' left in the engraved top part?

Compared to the images above.. the engraved piece seems to have a 'left over' next to the 90 degree rotated 'V' part.. near the center (not sure how else to describe it...lol)

I know what I'm adding to my Christmas wish list ;)
Looks awsome
Thanks. I'll have kits by the end of the month.
Looks great!

Was there a little 'piece' left in the engraved top part?

Compared to the images above.. the engraved piece seems to have a 'left over' next to the 90 degree rotated 'V' part.. near the center (not sure how else to describe it...lol)
Yes. There were a few stragglers leftover on the test piece. It was a rush job, just to see how the overall look was. The final ones will be much cleaner.

My god, you are literally the greatest dad. Definitely keeping an eye on this build, it looks great so far.

Also random question, but why do so many people use orange primer as opposed to white, black, etc? Does it help with the dry/wet sanding process?

My god, you are literally the greatest dad. Definitely keeping an eye on this build, it looks great so far.

Also random question, but why do so many people use orange primer as opposed to white, black, etc? Does it help with the dry/wet sanding process?
Thanks! I use Dupli-Color high build primer. It comes in gray or brick red colors.
nevertheless, ..still looks great so far!

*(I need to try this on my laser cutter!) :)
Thanks. The possibilities with a laser are endless.

I got the end cap finished. Here is the basic shape glued together. The seams need to be filled, and sanded smooth.
IMG_1434_zpsybbed5op.jpg

The back side has a recessed area to save on resin and weight.
IMG_1435_zpsftcshlbj.jpg

After many coats of primer and sanding, it is done.
IMG_1457_zpsu8yudrz2.jpg

And it is a perfect fit with the base of the head.
IMG_1460_zps1k8jfr2y.jpg

Molding updates tomorrow.

Last edited:
I got the end cap finished. Here is the basic shape glued together. The seams need to be filled, and sanded smooth.
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb351/JustinBranfuhr/Thor/IMG_1434_zpsybbed5op.jpg

The back side has a recessed area to save on resin and weight.
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb351/JustinBranfuhr/Thor/IMG_1435_zpsftcshlbj.jpg

After many coats of primer and sanding, it is done.
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb351/JustinBranfuhr/Thor/IMG_1457_zpsoetsn1ny.jpg

And it is a perfect fit with the base of the head.
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb351/JustinBranfuhr/Thor/IMG_1460_zpsbqwjmxov.jpg

Molding updates tomorrow.

What are you going to make the handle out of?? I sure hope you incorporate leather and make it thick enough. Too many Mjolnirs made lately have the handle to "skinny."

question for ya:

How are you getting the beveled edges so your laser cut pieces align flush on the sides? (without gaps...etc)

thanks!
-xl

Love watching stuff like this come together. I get to see loads of new techniques being used, processes etc. and you guys throw it out there warts and all. I am currently keeping my fingers crossed that you are from up the road from me :)

What are you going to make the handle out of?? I sure hope you incorporate leather and make it thick enough. Too many Mjolnirs made lately have the handle to "skinny."
I'll be using leather for the strap, but no leather around the handle. I'm not good enough with leather for that. I will be making the handle the proper thickness though. it will be about 1 3/16 wide. It has a good feel.

question for ya:

How are you getting the beveled edges so your laser cut pieces align flush on the sides? (without gaps...etc)

thanks!
-xl
The laser only cuts strait down, so I have to bevel the edges by hand. Some of the parts I used a belt sander, but some of the parts I used a router table. Very tedious, but the results are near perfect. There were slight gaps, but after some Bondo and sanding, they were not noticeable.

Update time!

I got the handle made. I used a 1/18" wooden dowel, and used filler primer to get it perfectly smooth, and get rid of the wood grain. Then I wrapped it with the raised details.
IMG_1472_zps2rvcekum.jpg

IMG_1473_zps9i1fnfne.jpg

After some sanding and primer it was a perfect fit.
IMG_1474_zpsjhahbx7t.jpg

I also have the molds started. These parts used a lot of silicone. They will be finished later today, and I can start casting.
IMG_1480_zpsohtupjjz.jpg

ah... ok.. that makes perfect sense.

I kept asking myself how the heck you got straight laser cut pieces to mesh like that! lol..

table router is a good suggestion. *(might have to go to my local makerspace to use one though)...

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back