3-foot Rodger Young?

I looked the resin castings over and man.... I hope you have a heavy duty dremel and mega sanding drum. This kit was not made in a way to be conducive to lighting or the average makers abilities. Folks that know me... know I have no love for Chronicle but I know the master was a casting from movie molds.... that being said... when it was pulled.. what type of material was used (shrinkage) and what were the conditions of the mold ect weigh heavy on the existing pattern they worked from. Then that casting was detailed by a couple amazing professional model makers and remolded for production.. 2nd / 3rd Generation at best. Will also need an armature inside somehow to keep the 3 foot monster from sagging over time. To do this right... a major overhaul is gonna be required to allow engine lights and hundreds of fibers to be run. I above all appreciate the opportunity to own items from original molds for sure... but for the resin kit world this bad boy is leaving a bad taste in folks mouths from what I've seen. Could it be made into an impressive display piece? Sure. However $800 is at the higher end of studio scale kits and trust me I know ... folks these days demand the parts fit, it's not full of bubbles and all the parts are included when shipped. I plan to use the model as reference only and scratch build a proper 3 foot model. Fixing asymmetry issues and will be much easier to build and light. Add this to the list of projects.... "Do you want to know more?" Hey trooperprop my football coach always said "potential is not a complement... its unused ability!" thought id share that lil nugget...

At this kit Chronicle, all are problems. I never will build, is totally wasting time.
If one wants to have a model in good conditions of the Rodger Young, would be faster build it from scratch ...
From the day I received the package, I stuffed the pieces in 2 bags, and put it in a closet ... I do not want to see more...

Hey trooperprop my football coach always said "potential is not a complement... its unused ability!" thought id share that lil nugget...

yes he is right;-)
glad to hear about this kit flaws in advance, still because it connection to the original I still would use my ability to build it one day.
Perhapes can the 3 ' model be used to build a perfect 6' rodger young!

Greetings,

BasD

Ok gang,

So here is the deal. I have 2 of these from Chronicles. Yes, I bought 2. Both to build as I have time as the first project on the bench.

The first one, when I opened it, was in good shape as I described.
The second one, when I opened it later for inventory (as a couple of parts were missing from the first one) wasn't as good as the first one by a long shot.

Both have unique issues, and I honestly think that the first one was worked over in house first (lots of sanding, better parts) to be done as a build up which didn't happen. In checking between the two, there are some significant differences in the part breakdown (one has 3 parts to the middle tower, one is solid cast etc). The engines on #1 have been cut apart, and one side sanded off (detail to replace) I'm presuming to prep for lighting. The second has solid engines. The second is more what I think is shipping as the kit, and my first is a fluke.

Needless to say, any way you slice it while this was marketed as the having the ability to light this, which in some areas its clear that you can see where lighting/fiber provisions were in the original models. However I'm not sure how practical that would be in light of the solid engines and single piece solid cast towers that shipped with most (all but my 1?) kits. Its going to be a ton of hogging out for the engines alone, and the towers I just don't see any effective way to fiber those as is. At this point, I'm looking at maybe molding the towers and the top of the bridge section on the rotocast front to be able to do a thin shell cast that is hollow to make fiber practical since you cannot really hog those out. Debating doing the engines too but honestly that is a lot of rubber for little return. I have added a second new die grinder to my air tool inventory and a large selection of burrs that will have some serious use I think when I start working on this soon. I will likely only do that for one build only, and the second kit sadly will be a static buildup with no lights as I don't see me wanting to go through all of that twice.

Steve/swpropmaker - I have been looking at this kit and while the resin is stout when layered I was already trying to figure out where I could make channels in the resin and then reinforce things with Aluminum plate, box, L and T's to stiffen its spine as much as possible. I too have concerns that long term this ship could droop far too easily, as this is cast in a standard type resin and not a polystone or anything like that that a little heat on a bad day or simply time would equal droop. That standard resin is fine, and clean smelling (no fillers etc) and what you need to have to be able to work over any of the parts, so that is good in a lot of respects, but without reinforcement or an armature of some type I think the droop issue is inevitable. As a part of figuring all that out, I pondered mounts and at a minimum I think without an armature the 2 used commonly on the 19" (rear main and front) would be the absolute minimum. 3 would be my choice unless I can figure out a way to get some serious square tubing (more hogging out) into the engine support spines as I think that is the one area that sagging will most likely happen regardless. No way a single floating mount in the middle would do it for something this big without an armature to spread the load around. I did like the custom acrylic laser cut cradle that showed up on the pre-production photos of the build, but that is not part of the kit and its not worth it to me to make that as I feel it ruins the looks of the ship on display.

LeeS, Nice of you to join us finally! I guess your ears were burning?

Ryan

The 18ft-er was sold on ebay around 2002, I did bid, but didn't win. Whoever got it got a bargain (about $20k if I recall)
Was lucky enough to be working just around the corner from Sony and asked if I could take some pics before it was shipped out (to Texas if I remember)
I believe this is the one now in France, but don't quote me on that.

And yeah I'm here Ryan :-D

Yes, Lee, are the best reference photos for the!! RY, thanks !!!
I can remember you bid by him, and for very little you took him home :D

Hi Ryan / Toro
Could you please post pics of the regular casting or pm them to me? As I have subscribed to a 3 payment order and I would want to see what I am getting in the final. Is it not what they are showing on there web/Facebook Site or is the only issue the solid casting of some parts?
Thanks
Raoul

Ok gang,

So here is the deal. I have 2 of these from Chronicles. Yes, I bought 2. Both to build as I have time as the first project on the bench.

The first one, when I opened it, was in good shape as I described.
The second one, when I opened it later for inventory (as a couple of parts were missing from the first one) wasn't as good as the first one by a long shot.

Both have unique issues, and I honestly think that the first one was worked over in house first (lots of sanding, better parts) to be done as a build up which didn't happen. In checking between the two, there are some significant differences in the part breakdown (one has 3 parts to the middle tower, one is solid cast etc). The engines on #1 have been cut apart, and one side sanded off (detail to replace) I'm presuming to prep for lighting. The second has solid engines. The second is more what I think is shipping as the kit, and my first is a fluke.

Needless to say, any way you slice it while this was marketed as the having the ability to light this, which in some areas its clear that you can see where lighting/fiber provisions were in the original models. However I'm not sure how practical that would be in light of the solid engines and single piece solid cast towers that shipped with most (all but my 1?) kits. Its going to be a ton of hogging out for the engines alone, and the towers I just don't see any effective way to fiber those as is. At this point, I'm looking at maybe molding the towers and the top of the bridge section on the rotocast front to be able to do a thin shell cast that is hollow to make fiber practical since you cannot really hog those out. Debating doing the engines too but honestly that is a lot of rubber for little return. I have added a second new die grinder to my air tool inventory and a large selection of burrs that will have some serious use I think when I start working on this soon. I will likely only do that for one build only, and the second kit sadly will be a static buildup with no lights as I don't see me wanting to go through all of that twice.

Steve/swpropmaker - I have been looking at this kit and while the resin is stout when layered I was already trying to figure out where I could make channels in the resin and then reinforce things with Aluminum plate, box, L and T's to stiffen its spine as much as possible. I too have concerns that long term this ship could droop far too easily, as this is cast in a standard type resin and not a polystone or anything like that that a little heat on a bad day or simply time would equal droop. That standard resin is fine, and clean smelling (no fillers etc) and what you need to have to be able to work over any of the parts, so that is good in a lot of respects, but without reinforcement or an armature of some type I think the droop issue is inevitable. As a part of figuring all that out, I pondered mounts and at a minimum I think without an armature the 2 used commonly on the 19" (rear main and front) would be the absolute minimum. 3 would be my choice unless I can figure out a way to get some serious square tubing (more hogging out) into the engine support spines as I think that is the one area that sagging will most likely happen regardless. No way a single floating mount in the middle would do it for something this big without an armature to spread the load around. I did like the custom acrylic laser cut cradle that showed up on the pre-production photos of the build, but that is not part of the kit and its not worth it to me to make that as I feel it ruins the looks of the ship on display.

LeeS, Nice of you to join us finally! I guess your ears were burning?

Ryan

It's really strange the differences in your two kits. It is also something that should clarify Chronicle.

Certainly, there are very few parts that can be illuminate, and the solid parts, if done, indeed would take a lot of work. Chronicle, nor it has completely fulfilled this point.

Who have received a kit in good condition, and wants to to build it, is absolutely necessary internal reinforcements, with aluminum profiles and screws.

Regards

The 18ft-er was sold on ebay around 2002, I did bid, but didn't win. Whoever got it got a bargain (about $20k if I recall)
Was lucky enough to be working just around the corner from Sony and asked if I could take some pics before it was shipped out (to Texas if I remember)
I believe this is the one now in France, but don't quote me on that.

And yeah I'm here Ryan :-D

Yes, the problem is that very large piece and nobody wanted to bid for it.

I'm not sure if the model of 18 feet, is the same http://www.sciencefictionarchives.com/

The auctioned on Ebay, had part of the engines damaged , and paint and rust stains in some areas. The one in France looks better, and has only damaged the lower module, and missing some small containers.

Regards

César

Well, Fon Davis already knows of this problem and have seen my pictures, and is surprised.
He supervised, as we already know the master piece for the kit, and did not look for anything like in my photos

Ryan, I greatly appreciate your review of the kits that you received.

I can honestly say that I have time as I have chosen the 10 month payment option. I would love to pay it of sooner. I just have to much else going on.

My first look at the photos shown to me reveal a ton of pin holes, bubbles of resin, warped parts, lost and or missing detail. This is a huge disappointment in the casting quality compared to what Chronicle said they would be. Not to mention the pictures they have shown to us.

The lighting aspect has me a bit perplexed as it is even advertised on Chronicles page.

I am wondering if these are cast in house or by someone else. If someone else, they are apparently cutting corners to save time/money. If it cast in house then they have, at the least, quality control issues that need to be addressed.

I am hopeful that Chronicle and or Fon Davis corrects some, if not all, issues with the kit that is currently being distributed.

Every resin kit that I have built has needed support in some form or other to prevent sagging / warping. Some kits are a lot easier than others. I did not expect anything less than this for the Rodger Young kit. So no surprise for me in this area.

My order remains with hopes that Chronicle Collectibles will make it right.

Last edited:
My understanding was the the kits/statue buildups were initially going to be cast by an outside group, Collapse Industries, who does mostly monster busts etc but has a very good rep for casting and quality.

However, my understanding is that something changed and the kits are now being cast in-house at Chronicles. My guess is that the cost to outsource became too high and the choice was made to do it in-house to maximize profit on this. Some consideration was made to total part count (number of pours) etc and some parts were combined for streamlining production purposes from what I have been told, hence the difference in part count on my kits.

I do not know any of the crew at Chronicles who are the resin monkeys running the molds, so this very well could be their first "production" run. I'm guessing their experience with "kit" runs is very limited, as they probably were focused solely on in house prototypes etc and not mass production. But again, I don't know for sure on any of this, its just speculation from reading between the lines of everything that has been made public.

It is possible that parts from my first kit are from some other caster than the "production" caster and/or were not done in-house, which would explain the difference. I do not know the inner workings of Chronicles or this project, so that could very well not be the case, but it would make sense to me seeing the differences.

As far as photos, that is going to have to wait a couple of weeks at best, as I am super tied up with real world goodness for a couple of weeks and I don't have time to dig through both and take pictures until things slow down for me a little.

Ryan

Every day that passes, I feel more pissed off :angry

Simply Chronicle has failed at everything.

The kit has, bubbles, gobs of resin, missing or fuzzy details, lace are bad or very bad, deformed pieces ...

A majority of the pieces are not prepared to be enlightened.

The images displayed by Chronicle buyers, of reference, masks, paint sample, and painting guide, are of such low resolution, they are useless.

As do Ryan (Belleau Wood), also missing some pieces.

It is true that never talked about other variants of Rodger Young, but the first images of promotion, you could see pieces to make another variant (Also not brings paint samples from the other 2 colors, gray-green and sand, nor decals with identifications of other ships). He also never spoke of a base or support for the model, but hey! It is usual, right? we have paid $ 650! A kit made with minimal effort...

And it is very strange the presentation of the kit compared to other pieces licensed for Chronicle, simply very dodgy; the packaging was a simple cardboard box, without any photo or logo of Chronicle, Sony Pictures, or any other reference.

I, the only solution they I find, is the return of the kit and a full refund, or the sending of a new kit, with the promised quality and extras.

César

Last edited:
I've been lurking in the background of this site for many years, I figured it's about time I joined up. I wanted this thing so much but fortunately somebody messaged me Toro's pictures from here and saved me a lot of money and disappointment. So thank you. I thought you might like to see the official word just posted...

We we'll be canceling the Rodger Young Kit. The initial kits were produced by Collapse Industries and we had to remaster a few pieces to make the lighting possible for the engines.

This piece hasn't been well received by collectors as the amount of work to make a 36" spaceship is daunting by most.

We'll get the guys that have problems with certain parts and missing parts taken care of, but I'd say that whatever is currently ordered will be it.

We tried to do a kit version it seems like a few people have axes to grind and this is a ton of work and a headache we don't need.

We'll cap it at the current amount ordered, take care of anyone and close this one out.

The Sold Out should go up on the site today. We'll make sure that the payment plan guys kits are complete and nice castings.

Paul

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back