Fantastic Four (Post-release)

Why not make Ben the black buy? Because it would make people mad that the Thing is made of brown rocks instead of orange or that the black guy lost his identity by losing his color ot orange?

Haven't you seen the TNG episode Darmok? That had an entire cast of African American actors playing aliens who were orange. No one called that episode racist.

Haven't you seen the TNG episode Darmok? That had an entire cast of African American actors playing aliens who were orange. No one called that episode racist.

They did something similar during this last season of Defiance where the entire Omec race was played by only black actors.

That was TNG... they were just happy to be on Star Trek... red shirt, orange skin... they're all one-offs anyway.

They did something similar during this last season of Defiance where the entire Omec race was played by only black actors.

That's a Sci-Fi original series full of people who are probably just happy to have an acting gig. ;)

I watched it last night. I have to say, I didn't hate it. It without a doubt could have been better but it didn't live up to the negative hype.

Pros:
- Different take on how they got their powers wasn't horrible.
- Liked the CG Thing much better than the Vic Mackey practical version
- didn't mind the gifted kids thing
- using them for military ops and Reed being on the run was actually kind of neat

Cons
- Emo Doom and his whole "look"
- The military/government always having an evil agenda of "let's make of super soldiers"
- The actors performances all seemed pretty lifeless for the most part
- The whole end portal thing

Bringing this one back from the dead as it came out in Redbox, and so my son decided to spend a buck on it last night because it just couldn't be "that" bad.

Well folks.... it was. Well, let's not say bad but just.... nothing. There was at no point ANY kind of reaction to any part of the movie between the three of us. Absolutlely nothing elicited a response. When it was over we all just looked at one another with blank expressions as asked "did we actually just watch a movie"? I'm not even sure how to explain it.

I'm not going to spoiler anything just in case, but I will say that it might well have been the biggest anticlimactic final battle ever filmed, and it lasted all of 3 minutes or so.

So, to sum it up, boring plot (we won't even get started on the plot craters), no chemistry, no real backstory or character development other than some for Reed, no real reason for Ben to even be in the movie (95% of Ben fighting was seen via a computer or TV monitor), no understandable motivation for emo Vic, and no real reason to even like or care about ANY of the characters (and all this is AFTER they tried to fix it). I guess my feeling is that it started as an interesting idea and that's where it stopped.

And yes, I'm actually angry that we wasted one dollar between the three of us to see this! Okay, done ranting, but if I've saved even one soul from wasting their time on this then my sons dollar will have been well spent!

Well, it finally showed up on HBO or something last night, and since there was nothing on last night so I decided to give it a try.

WOW, is this movie bad!! I honestly cannot think of one good thing to say about this piece of garbage. Absolutely nothing in this movie works. The other two are masterpieces compared to this. What in the HELL were these people thinking? Honestly, I would rather watch Batman and Robin than watch this movie again.

Pit-i-full!!!!

Yeah, I caught it on HBO the other night as well. It lives up to my nickname for it: Sucktastic 4. At least with Batman and Robin, SOME of the actors were clearly having fun (Arnold, especially), but it looked like every single one of the people in FF had the life sucked out of them and they were just husks going through the motions.

Such a wasted opportunity.

Heh... it's finally on Netflix here in Canada and I've been debating about watching it....

Legend of Korra is trumping it right now....

I finally decided to give this a chance....

IMaybe because I am not that big a F4 fan as I am of everything else, I thought it was watchable.
Even I know Sue and johnny are supposed to be brother and sister, not adopted. that part was dumb. I didn't care for the over done government angle.
And yeah, no one in this movie looks like they are having fun being there except maybe the kids in the beginning.

but other than that, the first 50 or so minutes are watchable at least.

I was expecting something batman and robin cringe worthy. but even in that arnold and alicia and alfred looked like they where having fun with it.
with 20 minutes left, I plan on watching the earlier version to see if there's a difference.

While you're at it, see if Ultimate Fantastic Four is available on Kindle to get an idea of what they were drawing a lot of inspiration from (and failing to capture, in detail or in spirit). This is another comic series I can't recommend highly enough (at least, for the first dozen issues or so -- it starts to flounder around after a bit, but then they get more involved with the Ultimates and the dynamic smooths out again). This movie is, for me, MoS/BvS levels of missed opportunity.

--Jonah

It's hard to see the potential of FF (or even the appeal) if you've only known of them through the films. The FF in the Silver Age of comics with Jack Kirby is where they developed an incredible sci-fi mythos. They were a platform for some of Kirby's greatest creations. In some of the greatest stories the FF are not the center of attention but are mostly witness to much greater cosmic events.

I'm one of the folks who feels that Spider-Man will do great things in the hands of Marvel Studios. I think FF would be an even greater revelation in the hands of Marvel Studios. I'm not just talking Doctor Doom (love to see him done like the comics - what a rich, complex character with a wonderful story), but Annihilus, Skrulls, Mole Man (wouldn't that be great and scary on film?) etc.

When I read Marvel comics in the 70's and 80's Kirby's (and Ditko's) art already seemed dated to me. I thought Kirby's faces looked flat and too similar. I was a bigger fan of John Byrne, Neal Adams, Michael Golden (Micronauts), John Buscema, Jim Starlin, George Perez and Frank Miller (Daredevil). Those other artists seemed either more realistic (Adams) or wonderfully impressionistic (Miller). Only later in life did I realize how much visual design from Kirby's FF and Ditko's Doctor Strange had influenced me. Kirby in particular had a limitless sense of scale, architecture and character design. Nobody could represent a big brawl of characters the way he could. Captain America fighting a dozen Hydra agents never looked better than when drawn by Kirby. He was incredibly versatile and inhumanly prolific. He drew post-apocalyptic ruins like no other person. I now appreciate how absolutely great Kirby and Ditko were. I am led to believe the new Doctor Strange will honor Ditko. I can only pray that, within my lifetime, we can see a version of FF that honors Kirby. I am certain that can only happen in the hands of Marvel Studios.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back