Thorssoli's First Order Builds - Captain Phasma FINISHED on Page 21!

Re: Thorssoli's Episode VII Builds

all of these are looking great so far,sir! question,in your opinion do you think the size you built the phasma helmet would be pretty proportional for someone about the size of the actor(6foot 3 to 6 4")? I ask this because I purchased one of your awesome MarkIII iron man helms a couple years ago and it fits perfect in proportion with my suit but slightly tight on my huge melon so I cant put electronics in it which is no biggie really, just curious

If you could fit your head into one of my Ironman MkIII kits, you'll have no problem at all fitting into one of these. I'll try to do a side-by-side photo once I get the prototype back out of the mold.

Are you offering kits?

I've got a thread going in the Project Runs section of the Classifieds. In any case, I've sent you a PM.

UPDATE!

Moldmaking continues. Here's the bottom of the helmet mold with the clay removed and drip walls built up:

And the first layer of silicone poured in:

This is the backside of the faceplate:

And again after the first pour:

More to come. Stay tuned...

Ok dumb question maybe, but is the concept of using the fiberglass over top so you can use a thinner layer of RTV?

Ok dumb question maybe, but is the concept of using the fiberglass over top so you can use a thinner layer of RTV?

I'm not thorssoli, but I think if there was no hard outer shell, (the mother mold), the mold would be too flexible to cast with unless the silicone was inches thick. It saves money, and makes the mold lighter, and therefore easier to slush cast/rotocast with.

So basically, the silicone captures the detail, and the fiberglass makes sure the mold keeps its shape.

Then maybe in the coming week I'll make a bit of progress on this guy again:
21404049969_fcaaf0f955_c.jpg

Stay tuned...

I want to see how you mold this since it is similar in shape to a Vader dome and I interested in making a mold of my dome I'm working on. I want it to be one piece and not a combination of plastic, body filler, fiberglass, resin, and putty.

Everything looks good as always!

If you could fit your head into one of my Ironman MkIII kits, you'll have no problem at all fitting into one of these. I'll try to do a side-by-side photo once I get the prototype back out of the mold.

I've got a thread going in the Project Runs section of the Classifieds. In any case, I've sent you a PM.

UPDATE!

Moldmaking continues. Here's the bottom of the helmet mold with the clay removed and drip walls built up:

What kind of clay are you using? I've got Chauvant Soft I use but the dang stuff is so hard! The super sculpey is softer but ultra expensive. I need a good clay thats easy to find and soft enough to easily be able to make barriers like this.

You are an absolute machine.
I can't get over how much "quality" stuff you can pump out.

I'm not thorssoli, but I think if there was no hard outer shell, (the mother mold), the mold would be too flexible to cast with unless the silicone was inches thick. It saves money, and makes the mold lighter, and therefore easier to slush cast/rotocast with.

So basically, the silicone captures the detail, and the fiberglass makes sure the mold keeps its shape.

Bogleo is correct. The silicone would collapse or warp under its own weight. The mothermold is just there for support.

I want to see how you mold this...

The more I'm looking at it, the more likely I am to just make a 2-piece fiberglass mold. There won't be any real need for silicone on the dome.

What kind of clay are you using? I've got Chauvant Soft I use but the dang stuff is so hard! The super sculpey is softer but ultra expensive. I need a good clay thats easy to find and soft enough to easily be able to make barriers like this.

It's a cheap modelling clay I get from Columbus Clay. Here's their site: http://columbusclay.com/Modeling_Clay.htm

You are an absolute machine.
I can't get over how much "quality" stuff you can pump out.

Thank you. Positive comments are practically fuel for these kinds of projects.

Now I just have to talk myself out of making the armor to go with any or all of these helmets.

Your videos, how to's, ED-209, etc. and now this ^ ?! The work you do is not only inspired but mind blowing! Certainly one of the reasons I joined this forum. My hat's off to you!

Your videos, how to's, ED-209, etc. and now this ^ ?! The work you do is not only inspired but mind blowing! Certainly one of the reasons I joined this forum. My hat's off to you!

Thank you.

I'm writing a book, too. Look for that to hit store shelves sometime early next year.

thorssoli; I saw you mention you do a final smoothing coat, is this just pourable silicone (non-thickened) brushed on to fill gaps/valleys/ridges caused by the thicker silicone?

Last edited by a moderator:

@thorssoli; I saw you mention you do a final smoothing coat, is this just pourable silicone (non-thickened) brushed on to fill gaps/valleys/ridges caused by the thicker silicone?

That's exactly right. In this case, it looks like so:

Once I'd removed the clay, trimmed the edges off of the silicone, and applied a mold release, I laid up the third and final section of the fiberglass mothermold for the helmet:

I also finished up the rubber jacket for the faceplate:

It too got the mothermold treatment:

So tomorrow I'll drill these parts for bolt holes, then trim the edges, pry them apart, peel the mold off of the prototype, and cast the first copy of the helmet.

Stay tuned...

That's exactly right. In this case, it looks like so:
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5763/21510367899_0268316b46_c.jpg

Once I'd removed the clay, trimmed the edges off of the silicone, and applied a mold release, I laid up the third and final section of the fiberglass mothermold for the helmet:
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5710/21509371778_49207710c4_c.jpg

I also finished up the rubber jacket for the faceplate:
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5700/21509373538_58491f87b3_c.jpg

It too got the mothermold treatment:
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5660/21510365429_6f786f9cf8_c.jpg

So tomorrow I'll drill these parts for bolt holes, then trim the edges, pry them apart, peel the mold off of the prototype, and cast the first copy of the helmet.

Stay tuned...

I dislike molding the small flat parts. Maybe it's because my clay is so damn hard, it's hard to make shapes until it warms up. Maybe I'll stick it in the microwave!

I'm really thankful to your posts because you really show us the behind the scenes work that helps others learn how to mold and cast different parts. Much obliged to your documentation. I'll be sure to pick up your upcoming book! Need links of course, when the time is right.

I'll be sure to pick up your upcoming book! Need links of course, when the time is right.

Looks like it's already available for pre-order: LINK

Of course, the cover image, the page count, and a bunch of other things have not yet been finalized...

Everything looks so good!

It's about to look a whole lot better...

This morning I arrived at the shop and started my day by drilling holes along the flange for the bottom of the mothermold:

Then I pried it off:

Then I pried apart the sides of the mothermold:

And degloved the mold from the prototype:

After trimming the edges and reassembling the mold, I pulled apart the faceplate mold. Then I trimmed the hairy parts off of the edges and cut in a pouring sprue and an air vent:

When I bolted it back together, I inserted a syringe into the sprue:

I forgot to write down how much resin it would take to fill the mold, so I guessed a bit on the high side:

Fortunately, the droolage is all on the outside of the mold and won't affect the final part.

Here's the first cast of the faceplate when I pulled the mold back apart:

While I was waiting for that to cure, I also rotocast a copy of the rest of the helmet:

The excess around the bottom of the helmet snapped off easily enough. Later I'll do some final trimming with the Dremel and a sanding drum. For now, here's the first cast with the prototype and the mold:

And a close-up shot of the casting itself:

And the two parts again:

Gorgeous, Shawn! You've outdone yourself... as usual! How thick are these, btw? I know with some of your previous casts, they've had a lot of excess resin on the inside...! Any shots of the interior?

Any shots of the interior?

I don't have any pics of the inside, but this is probably somewhere between 1/4" and 3/8" thick. It's a bit thicker along the bottom edge since I figure this is the area that's most likely to be abused. I've gotten into the habit of casting my helmets a bit on the thick side because it usually bothers me when I receive paper-thin cast helmets from other makers. When it comes time to trim off the edges and cut out the eye holes, the Dremel doesn't mind either way.

EDIT: I guessed way off. It's actually more like 3/16" to 1/4" thick overall. I was able to measure it once I'd actually started trimming up the first kit.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back