Thorssoli's First Order Builds - Captain Phasma FINISHED on Page 21!

Re: Thorssoli's Episode VII Builds

Progress continues:

Here's how it looks right about now:

Smoothing will continue tomorrow. My next batch of silicone will arrive tomorrow as well.

Stay tuned...

I am always jealous when I see your work... and your workshop :D Good job with those helmets!

I am always jealous when I see your work... and your workshop :D Good job with those helmets!

Thanks a bunch. They're coming right along.

The other day I decided I didn't like the placement of the groove along the bottom edge of the helmet, so I filled it in:

Then I scribed a line along the bottom that matched the offset for the groove around the frown and carved it out with a triangle file. It looks much better now:

One of the guys that helps me out in the shop from time to time is almost as tall as Phasma is supposed to be, so I had him try on the helmet:

He's a little scrawny, but the proportions still look pretty good.

Sitting on the floor in front of him, you can just start to see the bottom of his chin under the helmet:

So after a bit more sanding and smoothing, I sprayed on a nice, glossy coat of paint:

Before anyone gets excited and thinks the color is some sort of statement about the fact that it's a woman's helmet, please understand that my prototypes are almost always painted pink:

So here's where it sits right now:

Today I'll be filling in a few tiny imperfections that were revealed by the gloss coat and then it'll get a bit more smoothing and polishing before I spray on yet another coat of glossy, lightish-red paint and hopefully I'll start the molding over the weekend.

Stay tuned...

This thread is so full of win !!! BTW I googled that carvewright eyyeeeeeeee starting at $2,100, but damn can it do some cool things, how did you break the 3D design up into all the different sections ??

-Mike

how did you break the 3D design up into all the different sections ??

There's an "STL Importer" add-on to the software that allows you to import 3D files and slice them up into pieces that the 3-axis CNC machine is able to carve. This is basically how I made the large parts for my MkIII Ironman suit:

You can read about it here: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=170665

The rest of the Phasma suit should be easy by comparison.

Of course, the first prop project I used that machine for was my Halo M6G Magnum Pistol:

That one seemed like a really big deal at the time. How time has passed...

I always know you're getting close to done when you break out the "Light Red"! :lol

Great Work!

I have to say that's a pretty darn cool way to use a cnc wood router! I didn't even know you could break the file down and have it cut it out like that.

I always know you're getting close to done when you break out the "Light Red"! :lol

Great Work!

Funny thing, I ran out of light red yesterday and had the helmet ready for a gloss coat. So now I present to you LIME GREEN PHASMA:

I really thought I'd nailed it, but it looks like I need a bit more filler work before I can call this thing ready to mold. Soon...

In the meantime, I started tweaking one of my reject flametroopers to make the beginning of the snowtrooper helmet:

So that's starting off great.

Stay tuned...

Very great and fantastic work.I like it so much.Did you had a plan for an Episode 7 X-Wing Helmet?

I'll do the TIE Pilot helmet a long time before I get to that. I'm hoping someone else will do a good job with it and offer me one in trade.

Got Phasma's faceplate prepped for molding this morning:

Then I set up a parting wall for the main body of the helmet:

After that was put together, it was time to pour on some rubber:

And add some thickness:

So now it looks about like so:

Tomorrow I'll be adding more silicone to build up some thickness on the mold jacket. If all goes well, I should have castings coming out of the mold before the weekend.

In other news, I finally cooked up some visors to fit in the eye slits for the flametroopers:

Here's the rough-draft helmet selfie with a camera flash:

I think it does the trick.

Any second I'll finish these two:

Then maybe in the coming week I'll make a bit of progress on this guy again:

Stay tuned...

This stuff is outstanding! Great work!

I think Star Wars is the only franchise where I've ever seen so many people make costumes to characters in movies we have no idea are going to be good or not. Usually people wait to see if a movie is going to be goo before going all-in on making these crazy outfits, but Star Wars just always seems to create that faith it will be great and just go for it.

Great builds!

neat ! for finishing these, would you suggest individually drilling the holes in the mouth mesh out or cutting the entire piece out and installing our own mesh into that cleaned out area ?

I think Star Wars is the only franchise where I've ever seen so many people make costumes to characters in movies we have no idea are going to be good or not.

My thinking is thus: even though Episode I is almost universally despised, you still see plenty of folks dress up as Darth Maul. Regardless of whatever else happens in the movie around her, Captain Phasma is still going to look like a badass and I'm going to want to be a stormtrooper with a flamethrower. I don't think the movie can change that.

neat ! for finishing these, would you suggest individually drilling the holes in the mouth mesh out or cutting the entire piece out and installing our own mesh into that cleaned out area ?

I was just going to paint it black and call it good enough. I suppose you could drill it out or put in some other mesh, but I haven't seen anything that suggests that the screen-used helmets had something like that going on.

Lime Green??!!!
I was sure you were a stockholder in a pink paint company.

I ran out and didn't want to wait until I'd restocked my shelves to get the prototype done. No worries though. I've got more pink now.

UPDATE:

The rubber mold jacket is nearly done. Here's a shot of it in the middle of the thickening process:

And here's how it looks right now with the registration keys and a final smoothing coat of silicone:

The first side of the faceplate is done as well:

Today I'll be laying up the mothermold for these pieces. Then I can flip them over and get started on the other side.

Stay tuned...

Moldmaking continues. Today started with setting up the parting walls:

Then I laid up the fiberglass for the first parts of the mothermolds:

Once those had set up, I peeled the mohawk portion of the parting wall off of the helmet, applied a mold release, and laid up the second section of the mothermold:

Next I'll flip both pieces over, remove the clay from the bottoms, and build up the next silicone parts of the mold.

Stay tuned...

all of these are looking great so far,sir! question,in your opinion do you think the size you built the phasma helmet would be pretty proportional for someone about the size of the actor(6foot 3 to 6 4")? I ask this because I purchased one of your awesome MarkIII iron man helms a couple years ago and it fits perfect in proportion with my suit but slightly tight on my huge melon so I cant put electronics in it which is no biggie really, just curious

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back