"Back to the Future" Courthouse Square: Building A Replica...

This satellite picture may help, too. 10 pixels of the picture are exactly 1 meter. For viewing in original size, save it and view it with an image viewer.

courthouse_square_satellite.jpg

OK, so here's my first hand-drawn blueprint, for Holt's Diner at full scale. I'll be copying this with the measurements reduced to one-sixth, before building anything practical.

Holts_Diner_plans_sketch_zpsvqgeskas.png

Hey, everybody. I know its been a very long time since I updated this, but it stalled out when I couldn't find a full set of high-quality blueprints. Well, God changed that recently, when I wound up contacting Bob Gale's agent through several different attempts. I told her of my plan to build the 1955 courthouse square...and within a day, she sent me the blueprints, with one rule attached: I could not profit from anything I made, without a license from Universal. Some of the plans were in the file shmartybird had sent me...but they're much bigger and more clear overall. A few web-sized photos were included too, but I couldn't make anything out of them.

So, the next step is re-drawing the plans so I can see them better up close...and then after that, maybe a cardboard or FoamCore mockup. Its still a long way until completion, but I'd like to finish it by the 35th anniversary.

I think you should consider going to a smaller scale. Building such a large scale replica of that set could only fit inside a basketball court! Anyways....good luck!
I've thought of starting smaller, but I really want to end up with a 1/6-scaled model, that I can break apart into pieces and store in boxes. Ideally, most of the separations would be hidden after connected, like between bricks in a wall or under a rooftop. But I'm well aware that at one-sixth, the Clock Tower alone would be around 7 feet tall. Now granted, that's the biggest building; most of the others would probably average around 2 or 3 feet. I just really like the idea of putting a ton of effort into it, and then showing it off at conventions and such. I'm tempted to build the Tower first, but a lot of the more detailed pieces would have to be custom-made (cat statues, the actual clock, tops of the columns). Still, I love the idea of building Hill Valley's main area, and finishing the buildings so they're not just mockups.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back