Dredd X 2

p00k1333

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Getting an early start on Halloween/Comic Con this year. I was hoping to do one of the Farscape costumes I've been planning for so long, but my GF saw me pouring over some Dredd 3D pics. And thus, the deciding vote was cast. So now I'm making two Judge suits, male and female.
IMG_2990.jpg
I used the pep file from Dung0Beetle and Blaxmyth. My GF's helmet was the first size test I put together. I got lucky and it fit her just right. I had to increase the size of my helmet a few percent because of my huge noggin.

IMG_3017.jpg
This test pep was the result of a massive miscalculation, but it looked so ridiculous, I had to finish it anyway. Dredd/Spaceballs crossover anyone?

IMG_3019.jpg
Lots of fiberglass/rondo/Bondo/primer and sanding later - more Bondo to create the raised edges. I masked the areas off with about 8 layers of masking tape to create the thickness I wanted and spread Bondo over the exposed area. Worked like a charm!

IMG_3044.jpg
Lick o' paint!

IMG_3091.jpg
Badge'd and visor'd. Now I just need to pad and weather them.

Been working on a lot of the accessories - still building myself up to tackle the sewing of the pants and jacket.

LOL - as long as someone's looking and at least entertained by the thread!

Here are a few more bits

IMG_3028.jpg
I found a vitamin bottle that was the right diameter, cut a couple slices out of it for a rough mold, and packed 'em with bondo. Bondo Biscuits! Then drill the holes, carve the lines and, voila, door breaching mines.

IMG_2998.jpg
What can you do with a ping pong ball and some epoxy putty?

IMG_3029.jpg
Flash bangs!

IMG_3092.jpg
It was a bit heavy, so I made a quick mold and hollow cast them.
I'm trying to keep as much weight off of the duty belt as possible.

Very nice 'his and hers' helmets.;).......the smaller one looks like a kids helmet, but I s'pose women do have small brains:lol....KIDDING:rolleyes...seriously kidding, I love my woman....she drove me to drink......every night she drives me to the liquor store....:lol....

I sold my Dredd Helmet before I had a chance to do the raised edges. I've since learned the best tape is double sided foam tape as it's the perfect thickness....again great job on the pep files.

I was a bit afraid to use the double sided foam tape as I use it a lot at work. It's so sticky, I've seen it lift the paint off of a car, so I was worried about what it would to to the various layers of bondo and primer.

Couple more bits -

IMG_3094.jpg
I made a pattern from detailed pics posted by Art Andrews. Yep, that's layered pieces of paint paddles!

IMG_3095.jpg
Quick Cuffs!

IMG_3097.jpg
A heavily modified airsoft Glock magazine. The bullet is cast from some 9mm dummy rounds.

IMG_3098.jpg
Hollow cast, foam filled and painted. Gotta dull that black - it's way too shiny. I had to cast a few extra loose rounds 'cause they look so good!

IMG_3099.jpg
Lots of ammo.

Wow! Superb results! I get a real thrill every time someone posts about this pep. Thanks so much to Dung0Beetle for letting me tinker with his file. That final picture of the two helmets is magic.

Looks good.

I would love to see the oversized helmet on a child in full Dredd gear. It would make a real Life Deformed/Bobblehead Dredd.

Thanks for sharing your work,

L~

Thanks for posting the file Blaxmyth! I had intended to scratchbuild the helmets and the pep saved me a lot of time.

Got some badges done -

IMG_3093.jpg
Created a layered blank version from scrap mat board. Cast and added the name with letters cut from more mat board

IMG_3102.jpg
They painted up nicely. A bit rough, but I think it captures the roughness of cast brass.

I had to break down and buy the knife. I thought about making one, but I found it at a good price and the texture on the grip would have been hard to replicate.

IMG_3103.jpg
Made a 2-part mold and cast a couple Con-safe ones. The one on the right is the real one.

Gas Grenades!

IMG_2992.JPG
The main body of the grenade is a section of 1.25" dowel. The trigger cap is from a broken headlight socket off of a truck with bits of wooden stir-stick. The spoon is made entirely of little bits of stir-sticks shaped and glued together. Thanks to Studio Creations for the blueprint!

IMG_3088.JPG
Hollow-cast and foam-filled to stay with the idea of low weight on the duty belt. Add a 1" split keyring and a cotter pin (glued in place) and they're about done. They're still clean here - weathering will come later.

Mag holders (and first time working with Kydex)!
IMG_3128.jpg

I first tried forming the Kydex by hand over a block with ok results, but I wasn't satisfied with the look. It was a bit too rough.

IMG_3134.jpgIMG_3139.jpg

So, I created some fairly detailed forming blocks and after a lot of tweaking and determining the order in which to create the folds ...

IMG_3143.jpg

I got some pretty decent results! They look a bit oversized, but I'm not sure if the holders are too big or the airsoft mags are too small. I'm pretty happy with 'em.

Picked up a couple belt buckle castings. I intended to make them myself, but I thought I had a good deal. I thought they were going to be cold cast brass, but they were just painted resin. I removed the belt buckle hardware and thickened them up with epoxy putty and added some heavier hardware. The putty allowed me to reinforce the beak, which looked as if it would get snapped off quickly. Repainted with iridescent copper and iridescent bronze Golden acrylic.

IMG_3160.JPGIMG_3090.JPG

Buckles and Boots!

IMG_3157.jpgIMG_3161.jpgIMG_3177.jpg
Layered mat board glued together, primed and cleaned up. Molded and cast and they came out better than I expected. Gotta cast a bunch more.

IMG_3165.jpgIMG_3166.jpgIMG_3167.jpgIMG_3176.jpg
Shin guards made from more layered mat board - heels and toes made from various thicknesses of foam - and all attached to some motocross boots obtained from eBay.

Last edited:
I'm working on the same thing now. Thanks for the inspiration!
Did you go with a best guess measurement on the shins, or did you find the dimensions somewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really just eyed it up based on the measurements of the boots I bought. I think now that I made the front plate a bit too wide. I also had to make the attachment points asymmetrical to fit the existing straps - they were vastly different on each set. Here are symmetrical versions of the templates I came up with - I doubt they'll work "as is". You'll have to re-size them to fit and don't forget to check the strap placement!
Shinguard diagram symmetrical.jpgHeel and Toe diagram.jpg

Last edited:
I guess while I'm at it, here are the diagrams for the cobra buckles. Each layer was about 1.5mm thick.

Large Cobra Buckle diagram.jpgSmall Cobra Buckle diagram.jpg

Last edited:
Oops! I forgot the trim pieces for the shin guard. The top and bottom pieces overlap the gussets to strengthen the join. I cut the strap retainers out of some tough plastic (actually the wheel well from a truck).
Strap Retainers diagram.jpgShinguard trim diagram.jpg

Last edited:
I have pouches and holders and loops!
IMG_3178.JPGIMG_3180.JPG
Took a while to stitch the flashbang holder without visible stitching. I dyed the leather black and painted the green bits by rag-rolling with two different shades of green. The duty belt's getting full!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back