Studio Scale Tie Fighter Build - Nice'N Model Designs

The work continues on the pilot figure...

WP_20180602_004.jpg

One big difference between the original TIE fighter helmet and the prototype is a major neck seal, which I've added.
The pilot is looking a lot more like a spaceman at this point.
I've also added some more putty to the sides of the helmets to help increase the size of the "head phones".

One or two more coats of paint and I think that's going to about do it for the pilot and then it's back to the cockpit.
...and back to the Hobby shop to find those Tamiya paints. :)

So it's back to the Death Star base..
WP_20180607_001.jpg

It's starting to feel like a major restoration project. I'm just glad it's not a recast. :p

WP_20180607_002.jpg

Still working on the corners and trying to remove the bubble holes. The initial coat of primer is showing off all the pin holes and other problems.
The good news is that some squares or modules still have some sharp details that can be used as a reference while trying to "fix" similar modules placed in different spots on the base.
It does look like the master was originally made of foam with an outer coat of resin.

Again I found myself waiting for the putty to dry on the pilot figure so I decided to move forward with the wings. I also wanted to make sure that I got the dimensions right for the new display case and acrylic rod:
WP_20180611_002.jpg

It was very exciting to finally get this model off the ground with both wings.:D

The resin is sturdy enough, so I drilled and threaded the "arms":
WP_20180611_001.jpg

I used some left over furniture bolts and washers to complete the assembly:
WP_20180611_003.jpg

Last edited:
The 1/4" diameter magnets turned out to be the right size for the small, wing panels, so I used a 1/4" end mill
to drill a small hole near the center of the panel:
WP_20180613_001.jpg

Sand one side of the magnet and with a single drop of super glue, viola!
WP_20180613_002.jpg

The magnet mostly attaches to the bolt.

WP_20180613_003.jpg

You are doing a great job on this kit. I am worried the wings are going to sag though. I built the newer version that had an armature ( I got the resin with acrylic rod in the center) and as I recall, those wings were very heavy. I have upgraded to hero wings since and don't think they are any lighter. I did use magnets as you did and at the time was woried that even drilling into the armature for the bolt would cause a sag, so actually put another magnet instead. Regardless, its an impressive model and youre putting in a ton of work to make it better than it was, with the hollowing out etc.

The 1/4" diameter magnets turned out to be the right size for the small, wing panels, so I used a 1/4" end mill
to drill a small hole near the center of the panel:
View attachment 823851

Sand one side of the magnet and with a single drop of super glue, viola!
View attachment 823857

The magnet mostly attaches to the bolt.

View attachment 823858

I'm actually not too concerned about sagging. The main fuselage is cast out of solid resin and even thought I've hollowed it out a bit, it's very sturdy.

So today I've moved on to the original, targeted parts for the earth magnets:
WP_20180617_002.jpg

They turned out to be an easier install that I had originally thought. A small end mill and a x-acto knife did the trick. Viola!

WP_20180617_001.jpg

Looking at the cast parts for the ion engines, I realized that they're not sticking out at the correct angle.
IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

So I carefully removed them with a very sharp X-Acto Knife.

IMG_0008.JPG

I machined some engines out of round stock aluminum.

IMG_0012.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG

The size of the hole is 1/8" and the outer diameter is 3/16. It actually looks like the original part may have been a rivet spacer.
I like the idea of using aluminum since it's great at reflecting light. Eventually, I'll add some red LEDs.

Attachments

• IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 380
  • IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    923.8 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 311
  • IMG_0011.JPG
    IMG_0011.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 328
Last edited:
I decided to mold a small "pin" for the side panels since I need to make a mold of the pilot for my Y-Wing model:

IMG_0013.JPG

If anyone should need these parts, just send me a pm. The mold should be completed some time next week. :)

Blasters:
Looking at the ESB and ROTJ reference photos, I had noticed that the blasters appear to be brass tubes, which are probably found items.
I found some of these tubes in a local Hobby shop, but since I only need 2" or 3" of material, I decided to use some left over aluminum
and simply machine them.

One of the nice things about machining these from scratch was the option of creating a "lip" or "step" to help keep the LED holder in place:
Machined Blaster.JPG

If you look at the ESB/ROTJ or Museum pics, you'll notice that the holders were pushed down against the model, slipping right over
the tubing.

Here's the finished product:
Blasters.JPG

Here's the ESB/Musuem reference pictures:

ESBROTJ_COLLAGE.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

So the next step is to produce the actual laser.

Here's a reference photo of the TIE used in ANH as Vader's right side "wing man":
eBay_Star_Wars_TIE_Fighter_2.jpg

The actual "lasers" are probably just acrylic rods that have been machined and since we know some metal "piping" was used, they must fit inside of it.
Laser Turet.JPG

So I used some 5/32" diameter, clear acrylic rod and machined it down to fit inside the tubing and then
used a 20 degree angle to machine the tips. The trick is to use plenty of water while machining acrylic. It gives the finished part a nice, smooth finish.

Attachments

• Cockpit with Lasers.JPG
    Cockpit with Lasers.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 382
Last edited:
Cockpit complete with lasers/blasters:
Cockpit with Lasers.JPG

Since acrylic was used, I believe that ILM originally intended to light these babies up, so I've pre-drilled some holes for some small, green LEDs
since the laser blasts are actually green in ANH:
LEDs for Lasers.JPG

Next up will probably be the engines and then some wiring. :)

I dyed the clear acrylic "blasters" orange, which reminds me of the X-Wing Helmet lens, so it's possible the originals were dyed as well.

My run of Icons style display cases completed about a week ago:
Display Case Front.JPG

Display Case Side.JPG

This week I'm working on the LED wiring and side details for the wing "hubs".

I was always under the impression the orange lights were vintage orange LEDs. I had some of these that I know are from the late 70's-early 80's that I am going to use on mine when I finally build it. Here are 2 normal and 2 that I turned down..

IMG_4832sml.jpg

This is probably the best reference photo I could find of one of the original ANH TIE models:
eBay_Star_Wars_TIE_Fighter_2.jpg
I took a good look and checked the size of a standard LED, but it seemed a little big for the clip.

Also, if you watch ANH closely, you'll notice that the Advanced TIE gives off a white light instead of an orange or green one and with clear acrylic, even dyed orange, it's capable of giving off a white light with a clear LED behind it.
The standard TIEs in ANH don't appear to have working lights for the blasters, possibly because they didn't know where or when the graphics would be added, which turned out to be green instead of orange.

Fair enough on the lighting. I would have though all that would have been done post . As to the led size, it definitely fits, those clips were specifically designed for the large LEDs, The only thing is you have to file away the lip/ledge because the led is supposed to go in the clip backwards from what we want on the tie. Here are 2 other ref pics I have, The ANH one looks like LED to me, on the ESB you can tell it was probably acrylic, the ends are snapped off and you cant snap LEDs like that . Another thing to note, the ESB style look like the rod is inserted into a tube that's inserted into the clip where the ANH is bigger and has no tube around it. Either way im sure it will look great. If you want to go the LED route let me know.

TIE-008.jpg

sw_mos_tie_fighter_0016.jpg

I agree. Looking at the ANH references, it's really difficult to tell if LEDs were used or not.

The tubing for the blasters narrows so much that it's definitely possible that LEDs were used because it would be very easy to feed a couple of small wires
through that narrow area. To use the acrylic rods, they have to be turned down a bit to fit.

My $.02... and to be 100% truthful - this is mostly conjecture... They used LEDs in the sockets but they weren't lit. They likely had the intention of using them as light points for the fx... but like the fiber optics in the X-wings gun tips it didn't work out well in Film.. The lights were too bright, so they weren't used.

This thread brings back a lot of memories... I bought one of Steve's first TIE kits... (like very first) and man it was a bear. His kits now are works of art, that go together beautifully, but back in the day you had to really know what you were doing - and I really didn't :eek.

Mine was before this generation where the wings were split down the center into inner and outer halves, that you had to carefully clean up and join, then add the outer tracks and such... Such a PITA. Mine also had the solid center ball... Not having access to a drill press I left it solid.

Jedi Dade

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back