The "Graflex" Is 75 Today! Make that 78!

Probe Droid

Master Member
This day in 1940, Oscar Steiner, the chief engineer for the Folmer-Graflex Corp., Rochester, NY, filed his patent for "Photographic Flashlight Equipment." The "Graflex" is born.

Hug your Skywalker today!
attachment.php

I'm declaring this National Graflex Day in his honor. On behalf of generations of Star Wars geeks the galaxy over, thanks Oscar.

When I saw Star Wars in 1977 I thought Luke's lightsaber was the coolest thing I'd ever seen, and 38 years later my opinion hasn't changed.

Here's my baby. The bubbles are wrong, the D-ring assembly is a travesty, and the grips are all over town, but I love it!
attachment.php

Best $10 I ever spent!

Attachments

• Graflex Patent 7 19 40.jpg
    Graflex Patent 7 19 40.jpg
    777.2 KB · Views: 1,339
  • Graflex 75.jpg
    Graflex 75.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,193
Last edited:
Re: The "Graflex" Is 75 Today!

75 years of age and has never looked better. :cool

If only everything aged so beautifully . :darnkids

I'll second national graflex day, those patent drawings are fascinating.
DSCN3073.JPG
DSCN3014.JPG

Last edited:

Great post Probe Droid! I got my first Graflex flashgun after reading it's lightsaber connection in Steve Sansweet's "scouting the galaxy" column in the fan club magazine. Those were pre-internet days for me, and I called around to dozens of places before I finally got a Graflex sent to me for the tidy sum of 25 dollars.

Yeah great post!
The graflex flash seems like a luxury of engineering now. Machined moving parts and metal? It would be Plastic and microchips now. I love vintage camera kit and the 3 cell will always be in my heart. I salute you Oscar!

Yeah great post!
The graflex flash seems like a luxury of engineering now. Machined moving parts and metal? It would be Plastic and microchips now. I love vintage camera kit and the 3 cell will always be in my heart. I salute you Oscar!

Yeah, it would be plastic and purposely designed to last about 3 years.

Great post, Probe Droid.

The motion has been seconded and carried. Henceforth, July 19th is National Graflex Day.

That was such a wonderful use of a found piece and a perfect example of how much of Star Wars just clicked perfectly into place. It looks like a practical piece of technology in a way that the "designed" lightsabers just don't. It's one of the most iconic examples of industrial design.

It looks like a practical piece of technology in a way that the "designed" lightsabers just don't.

All the constructed lightsabers do.

Even the holyday-special saber looks more practical/functional than the designed stuff. :lol

I agree, I think it is because it doesn't look like it could have been made just by putting some aluminium on a lathe and screwing bits on. The whole body's shape is influenced by the various other parts, which all goes back to the form being from the function. I think that is why the PT and some custom sabers do nothing for me, their designs aren't compromised enough by any function.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back