Sculpting BvS cowl, and armored helmet

Molding has begun... I already used every drop of silicone for the mold. I was getting worried I would run out toward the end... BTW I am only doing the cowl portion. I didn't have enough dragon skin to go all the way down... Plus, the who reason I sculpted that area in the first place was so I could get a visual for the cowl. Oh well, sometimes afterthoughts just don't work out.

smooth-on stuff.JPG

I'm using ice cubes for registration keys. :lol
registration keys.JPG

Here's the first pull in plastic. I'll have to do some sanding/ chiseling on a few spots (mainly on the back) and remold. But overall, I'm satisfied considering this is my first full-head mask. I learned a lot. :)

However, I about died trying to slush cast this thing by myself. Also, it seems like no matter how hard I try, I've never been able to get an evenly coated slush cast, even with a half mask. There always seems to be pooling and weak spots, and that's not going to cut it when I actually make this into a wearable mask. I suppose I could build a DIY rotation machine. It's just that I've already spent a ton of money on this. Suggestions/ alternatives?

Hope you guys like it.

first cast01.JPG

first cast02.JPG

Did you slush cast all the rubber in one go ? From what I understand, you have to do it layer by layer. One thin layer, wait until it's almost cured, then a second one etc.

Did you slush cast all the rubber in one go ? From what I understand, you have to do it layer by layer. One thin layer, wait until it's almost cured, then a second one etc.

I did it in 4 layers. But I think the key word you used is "thin". I'm probably using too much for each layer, and not waiting long enough between layers, thus making it cure faster/ not disperse enough.

Im don't know much about making a urethane cowl, but maybe thinner layers and pouring out excess would help? Sorry if that doesn't help but the first pull is looking fantastic btw.

Seems like quite a few people here have knowledge of urethane cowls, I have a batman begins cowl and as seen in the picture these random spots show up and they look terrible, does anyone know how I can fix this?

IMG_2941.JPG

Bump for update?

Sorry for the delay. I've been working with another member who is going to be doing castings of my work in the near future, which is awesome because I'll have more time to sculpt. I changed some things on the cowl after molding it the first time, and now it's under 5 layers of silicone. I'm also molding the emblem I sculpted. Helmet will be next.

IMG_7947.jpg
IMG_8014.jpg
IMG_8020.jpg
IMG_8028.jpg
IMG_8037.jpg

First pull in 40 shore rubber, compliments of drftfan.
IMG_8254.jpg

Also, I won't be making the helmet. There are so many out there already. I'm converting it to a 1990 TMNT Raphael head.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back