The Batman

I think it's just the scripts. I like the cast and the tone of the DCEU. But its pacing is too fast and that hurts the stories. I would've loved it when they put out single character movies with strong plots that work as stand alones but still create a connection, a red line to something bigger that brings the league together after every character is established. Just like Marvel did, just in DC style.

Everyone knows that is what they should have done, but I think the powers that be wanted their Avengers movie ASAP, and didn't have several years to do multiple trilogies to establish the characters and the world they live in. Bad move, in my opinion. And the DCEU has suffered for it.
The only thing they did before Marvel was to have their villain team up movie first. But it was boring and uninspired.
Warner Bros should have created a separate studio team to focus on the DC movies. Taken a page from Marvel's book and mimiced that. Fans wouldn't have cared if we didn't get a Justice League movie for a few more years, provided it was worth the wait. What we got surpassed my expectations, but that's not saying much considering how terribly low my expectations were set.

'The Passage' Producer Matt Reeves on Netflix's Theatrical Plans and His "Noir Batman"| Hollywood Reporter

So, Batman. Tell us about your take.

It's very much a point of view-driven, noir Batman tale. It's told very squarely on his shoulders, and I hope it's going to be a story that will be thrilling but also emotional. It's more Batman in his detective mode than we've seen in the films. The comics have a history of that. He's supposed to be the world's greatest detective, and that's not necessarily been a part of what the movies have been. I'd love this to be one where when we go on that journey of tracking down the criminals and trying to solve a crime, it's going to allow his character to have an arc so that he can go through a transformation.

mattreeves_thr0385_embed.jpg

He’s kept this New Yorker cartoon nearby as he’s written Batman to remind him to make it “as internal and emotional” as he can.

171023_a21346.jpg

“Memoir, Chapter 1. At times, I think I may have never fully gotten over the death of my parents . . .”

Do you have a title yet?

(Laughs.) Right now it’s called The Batman. What it will be called ultimately, I don’t know.

Have you begun the casting process?

There will be a Rogues Gallery. The casting process will begin shortly. We're starting to put together our battle plan. I'm doing another pass on the script and we'll begin some long-lead stuff to start developing conceptual things.

What's your goal as far as a release date?

We haven't been dated. I wouldn't commit to this, but we're thinking the movie would probably be for 2021, late spring or summer. Warner Bros. has been incredibly supportive and given me a lot of time and shared the same passion that I do for this story.

How involved are you with the other films in the DC universe, be it Harley Quinn or Batgirl?

Right now, I'm involved in The Batman. What it will be called ultimately, I don't know. Aquaman is going to be very different from the Todd Phillips Joker movie, and that's going to be different from Shazam and Harley Quinn. Warners believes they don't have to try to develop a giant slate that has to have all the plans for how it's going to connect. What they need to try and do is make good movies with these characters.

Update:

‘The Batman’ To Fly In Summer 2021; Ben Affleck Passes The Torch To Next Generation Of Bruce Wayne | Deadline
June 25, 2021. The movie will focus on younger Bruce Wayne, to be played by a different actor.

Affleck_Batman2021_tweet.png

A lot of torch passing in short timespans at DCU. One of my favorite heroes of all time has fallen to TV and cinematic "don't care" status ever since 2014.

And ironically it's the one character they 'protect' the most. Smallville feature clark kent/superman, forbidded from mentioning Wayne/Batman. Same with Arrow. They actually have superman, and lois, etc. But they're forbidden from using batman bruce wayne. Amell had to do a lot of lobbying to be able to mention him in the crossover this year - been trying to get that far for a long time.

And ironically it's the one character they 'protect' the most. Smallville feature clark kent/superman, forbidded from mentioning Wayne/Batman. Same with Arrow. They actually have superman, and lois, etc. But they're forbidden from using batman bruce wayne. Amell had to do a lot of lobbying to be able to mention him in the crossover this year - been trying to get that far for a long time.

Arrow mentioned Bruce Wayne in season 6 when they were talking about doctoring a photo.

The reason those shows have to be careful with mentioning Batman\Bruce Wayne is because Fox has the tv rights to those characters.

Because of Gotham, right? That wasn't remotely on the horizon when Smallville was on, yet the weren't permitted to mention him either. They worried about confusion between the tv and movie worlds. But, it's ok for the others i guess..

As for the S6 comment, Amell talked about it before and said he had been trying for ages to get a reference and was repeatedly shut down. Prior to the season he threw it out in a conversation and they ok'd it and he was very suprised, but took the OK and ran.

No, not because of Gotham. WB fully owns that show. Fox and a couple of other parties owned the TV rights to Batman for a very long time.

Not sure about that casting, he seems much too pretty to be Batman. But then again, they've cast Val Kilmer in the past and Michael Keaton seemed like an odd choice at first. So, who knows, it might work, but I have my doubts.

Yeah I’m hearing a lot of negative online... But I remember being on Ain’t it cool news back in the day when people whined about Christian Bale as well. whined about Heath ledger. People all over the net whined about unknown Chris Hemsworth playing Thor... whined about even wasting film on Guardians of the Galaxy....

People complained they were making a Miles Morales Spider-Man movie.

Exactly why “not even giving it a chance”?

Genuinely curious.

Cuz he was in an icky teen movie?

Winter Soldier was from gossip girl.

Exactly. He wouldn't be my first choice but Robert has distanced himself quite a but from his Twilight character. I'm looking forward to see what he does with the role.

Pattinson is a very good actor. He impressed the heck out of me in 'The Rover', then did it again in 'Land of Z'.
I don't hate this. Could have done much, much worse.

I'm not crazy about the choice. I was on board with Bale playing the part after having seen Equilibrium and his other work. It all depended on that script and Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy is my favorite film adaptation of the Batman character. I enjoy the Tim Burton films too, but Nolan's is the bench mark in my opinion. Along with the Animated Series (Conroy and Hamill are a dream team!)

That said I can say I was hesitant about Ledger but man did he pull it off! Also I wasn't keen on the Joker stand alone but with Joaquin Phoenix attached and then seeing the trailer I was sold on the idea.

As for this, I personally don't see it, but who knows. I'll reserve judgement until it's finalized and or a trailer comes out. He may not even get cast so having Pattinson in the role might not even come to fruition. Directors and actors change at the drop of a hat.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back