The Batman

I get we all have our tastes and mental imagery required for this character, I get that.
I however will not mourn the extinction of Batfleck who was impossible to work for me, and pray to the bat gods that
I get a Dark Knight that does not kill.

I get we all have our tastes and mental imagery required for this character, I get that.
I however will not mourn the extinction of Batfleck who was impossible to work for me, and pray to the bat gods that
I get a Dark Knight that does not kill.

I would concur with this... mainly because this also poses a major in universe problem with the character.

In the Batman comics, Batman doesn't kill because under his moral code, it makes him no different than the criminals that he pursues.

Commissioner Gordan and the Gotham PD allow him to operate despite him being a vigilante because they are outnumbered and Batman gets results that they can't; especially with the above the law mob bosses.

But the moment that Batman kills, he becomes a murderer under the eyes of the law and there's no way that Gordan or any police force could ever been seen as condoning those actions.

I would concur with this... mainly because this also poses a major in universe problem with the character.

In the Batman comics, Batman doesn't kill because under his moral code, it makes him no different than the criminals that he pursues.

Commissioner Gordan and the Gotham PD allow him to operate despite him being a vigilante because they are outnumbered and Batman gets results that they can't; especially with the above the law mob bosses.

But the moment that Batman kills, he becomes a murderer under the eyes of the law and there's no way that Gordan or any police force could ever been seen as condoning those actions.

Exactly, Wayne/Batman are all about coming close to the abyss but not going over.
And I know people would point out very early he did kill, but the character evolved into something
more complex psychologically by the seventies, far more interesting, far more epic, and for me that made all the difference.
If he was choosing to kill, well that's called The Punisher or straight up Charlie Bronson in Death Wish.

The studio is talking to Jake Gyllenhaal (Rumor) to take over for Affleck. I'm kind on the fence with this one. He is a good actor.
But Batman ?. What are your thoughts.

I think he would be a good choice, especially if The Batman is a prequel taking place years before BvS (which I think it should)

Bubbleboy?

I dunno. I liked him in Source Code. I've not seen much else.
Nothing screams Bruce Wayne to me though.

If so he better start bulking up now bigtime.

I'm not saying Jake Gyllenhaal would make a great Batman\Bruce Wayne, but if you don't know his work, then you should in order to have an informed opinion. Donnie Darko, October Sky, The Good Girl, Zodiac, Love & Other Drugs, Prisoners, End of Watch, Nightcrawler, and most recently Nocturnal Animals. He's an amazing actor. As fr him bulking up, just look at a still from Southpaw.

Jake-Gyllenhaal-boxing-match.jpg

Personally speaking, it should have been left at Nolan`s magnificent trilogy but this does sound enticing indeed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that DC Films is under new leadership, if they're smart, they'll just abandon a shared universe altogether. Stick to making good standalone movies. Like is stated in the video, Batman is a brand of his own. There could be new Batman movies every year. Make them standalone films that take place in various parts of Batman's career. You don't have to worry about signing stars to exclusive deals or worry about a cohesive universe. Just let the best filmmakers you can find have fun.

The Batman Update: Script Almost Ready, Will be Noir-Driven – /Film

It's good to know the movie will not be based on Year One. Though it's a great origin, it's time to get away from Batman origin stories for at least another two decades.

Here are some quotes and updates from Matt Reeves via Slashfilm.

About the script and filming:

“We are working on getting our draft [in] the next couple weeks,” Reeves said. “Right now, my head is totally into the script. Right now, I’m going to be leaving here to go back to work on the script.”

“What we’ve talked about is hopefully in the spring or early summer, something like that.”

Regarding Ben Affleck:

"Reeves said he was still speaking with Affleck, but was coy about who might play the caped crusader in the film.

“There are ways in which all of this connects to DC, to the DC universe as well,” Reeves said. “We’re one piece of many pieces so I don’t want to comment on that except to say that I’m focused very specifically on this aspect of the DC world.”

After the connected movies from Man of Steel through Justice League, DC announced plans to focus on more individual movies. That also gives Affleck an out, but Reeves’ suggestion that there’s a way to have Affleck involved, without ruling out recasting a younger Batman, is intriguing.

The most obvious idea could be that the Bruce Wayne we know as Ben Affleck could bookend the movie, recalling this case from his younger days. Two Batmen for the price of one!

Reeves added that the shift in direction for DC films did not alter his plans for The Batman.

“From the beginning, what I had always spoken about with Warner Brothers and what I was excited about was being in the Batuniverse and really doing something within that sphere,” Reeves said. “That was always what it was going to be so in that way it hasn’t changed a lot since I first met with them. It’s very much the same thrust if that makes sense. A lot of things have happened since then but the movie, and why I’m excited about it, is it continues to be the same inspirations and excitement of what we talked about in the beginning.” "

Not Year One:

“We’re not doing any particular [comic],” Reeves said. “Year One is one of the many comic books that I love. We are definitely not doing Year One. It’s just exciting to be focused very specifically on a tale that is defining for him and very personal to him. Obviously we’re not doing an origin tale or anything like that. We’re doing a story that is definitively Batman though and trying to tell a story that’s emotional and yet is really about him being the world’s greatest detective and all the things that for me, since I was a kid, made me love Batman.”

“I’ve talked about making it a very point of view noir-driven definitive Batman story in which he is investigating a particular case and that takes us out into the world of Gotham,” Reeves said. “I went on a deep dive again revisiting all my favorite comics. Those all inform by osmosis. There’s no continuation of the Nolan films. It’s very much trying to find a way to do this as something that for me is going to be definitively Batman and new and cool.”

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't want to like Ben Affleck as Batman. But, he did it well. While I didn't like BvS, I liked Bruce Wayne. I didn't hate Justice League, but I liked Batman (though I didn't feel Batman and Bruce were separate enough).

If Affleck still plays the role, I'm good with it. The storyline has got to be good, though, and that's my biggest concern with the DCEU.

If Affleck is out, then I just don't know.
I'm still a Keaton fan at heart.

I'd be searching the gyms for someone about 30 years old to cast the role.
But I'm silly that way. The great detective Neal Adams style. No damnable armor costumes anymore
because he's that freekin' good.

I'd be searching the gyms for someone about 30 years old to cast the role.
But I'm silly that way. The great detective Neal Adams style. No damnable armor costumes anymore
because he's that freekin' good.

I've always thought glossy black leather boots, gloves, cape and cowl over a grey suede suit would look cool. Very bat-like.

...I didn't hate Justice League, but I liked Batman (though I didn't feel Batman and Bruce were separate enough)...
I think that was intentional. Everyone in the League now knows Bruce Wayne is Batman, so he didn't have to put on that "Hi, I'm Bruce Wayne, billionaire playboy" persona around them like he has to with everyone else.

I didn't hate Justice League either, but understand why a lot of people do. It did what it was supposed to do, i.e. establish the League, but not much more.

There's a controversial superhero film that I am a big fan of, I love it, they put a tremendous amount of research, tests and trials and ultimately focus on the costume and visage of the character. In the end after months of wild tests, they went right back to a contemporary, sleek design and somewhat traditional look that fit the tonality of the film...

It is very important that focus be put on this. I'm going to assume that anything from Bale on out is pretty much garbage because the film makers aren't inspired.

I can't believe how opposite end of interest I became over the DC films growing up til now. I've always been excited for Batman and Superman as a kid and all the way through the Nolan films.

WB has really crashed and burned bad and nothing makes any sense anymore. It's even more sad that I don't even care about a couple of my favorite heroes in this cinematic world anymore.

I can't believe how opposite end of interest I became over the DC films growing up til now. I've always been excited for Batman and Superman as a kid and all the way through the Nolan films.

WB has really crashed and burned bad and nothing makes any sense anymore. It's even more sad that I don't even care about a couple of my favorite heroes in this cinematic world anymore.

I think it's just the scripts. I like the cast and the tone of the DCEU. But its pacing is too fast and that hurts the stories. I would've loved it when they put out single character movies with strong plots that work as stand alones but still create a connection, a red line to something bigger that brings the league together after every character is established. Just like Marvel did, just in DC style.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back