The Batman

Re: Ben Affleck directing standalone Batman movie

Imagine an actor you hate to look at.and can't abide. Surely you all have one, or more as the case is with me.
Now imagine him cast as one of your favorite characters and now hearing creative control too?

As Dirty Harry used to say.... swell.

Re: New Batman Standalone Film

Well I envy Batman fans that are also Affleck fans. Must feel like Christmas.
I guess I got some years to wait. Though one thing about Batman, it's never all that long
until the next incarnation.

I don't know what your beef with Affleck is, but you should give him a chance. This is an Academy award winner who is also a huge fan of Batman. He's always wanted to play this part and takes it seriously. He's got the talent and the clout in Hollywood to make sure its done right. It could still end up being a stinker. So many things go into making a movie. Like jcoffman said, he's already done the starring\directing thing twice and both times did a pretty damn good job. I have more hope for this than I do BvS.

It's like this.
Whatever quality there is about a person that makes it pleasurable to watch them perform, there is an opposite to that for me too.
Cruise and DeCaprio are a couple others I simply can't stand to watch. I just can't stand them. That's emotional and it's simply
not gotten over by knowing that they got industry awards or whatever. It's a major miracle I've let Damon get a chance with me.
All my friends just groaned when they heard Batfleck, so I know it's not just me.

Everyone has their stars that annoy them. There doesn't have to be a reason. Although, sometimes they can win you over. Cruise used to be the top of my "he-sucks" list. But after about the fourth time he starred in a movie that I ended up liking in spite of myself, I had to take him off the list.

DiCaprio I do like, but I also don't seem to see him the same way most do, since I think some of his biggest roles were actually badly miscast. (I'm looking at you Titanic). I think there are certain roles he's absolutely perfect for, it's just that only about half the parts he actually plays fit.

Affleck I like as an actor, and I'll give him a chance, but I also don't have as much faith in his sense of taste as others here do. There's no pretending that he hasn't said yes to his share of stinkers as well.

All my friends just groaned when they heard Batfleck, so I know it's not just me.

Yeah, same here. Most of my friends uttered a collective "wtf" when he was announced. This Batman v Superman thing looks horrible, judging from the trailer anyways.

Last edited:

Another thing I've been hoping for is evolution on Batman film front as well so this Affleck stuff sort of kills it right away.
The step to bring it home. Nolan started something but it fell short.
No more armor, he doesn't need it anymore, I hoped in Rise that he would ditch it at some point.
That he simply is THAT good. He is The Batman.
So if they were starting again I thought why not?
Who can actually fill out the suit and look like what I've seen in the comics forever.
Granted that will be a body builder first, actor second. I always get flak for saying that, but Batman
really looks huge, and there are men who can fill that costume and I'm certain can act just as well.
Secondly "the one rule". Never, EVER gets broken no matter what. Batman always finds a way.
Nolan disappointed me with the Two Face death that I just pretend he survived to return someday.
On some other fronts a Batmobile that actually is on the sports car side.
I've loved the tumbler and others but that really hasn't happened since the Keatonmobile.

Ultimately I'm talking about comic to screen unlike anything seen before.
Well Mask of the Phantasm was great, but of course not live action.

...Cruise and DeCaprio are a couple others I simply can't stand to watch. I just can't stand them...
You've just named two of my least favorite actors; if they're in a movie, it's usually a deal-breaker for me. I have enjoyed Cruise in two or three movies (Edge of Tomorrow comes to mind as one example, maybe because his character got killed repeatedly :D), but he's one of those actors who plays every character the same way. That's fine if you like the actor, not so much if you don't. With DiCaprio, for me it was simple burnout--for a while there it seemed like he was in every movie being made, and I just got tired of him.

...On some other fronts a Batmobile that actually is on the sports car side.
I've loved the tumbler and others but that really hasn't happened since the Keatonmobile...
I'm not sure I'd use "sports car" and "Keatonmobile" in the same sentence. As I understand it, the long wheelbase and driver's position being so far rearward made it very difficult to drive. Also, it wasn't particularly speedy. It could reach a decent top speed, but it took a while to get there. They had to "speed up" the film in the movies in certain scenes because they couldn't get it to go fast enough within the limited filming spaces.

Back to Ben Affleck, he's "hit and miss" with me; good in some movies, not as good in others. I'm hoping he'll do well enough in Batman vs. Superman to silence most of the naysayers, but I know some people dislike him so much that his performance could be Oscar-worthy and they'd still have nothing good to say about him. Of course, it they're right and he's really wrong for the part all of their current plans could go right down the toilet. Time will tell.

Understood the actual Keatonmobile was a dog.
But looks wise it invoked jet powered Vette qualities.
I was teased again by Nolan with the Lamborghini, hmm foreshadowing for
the next Batmobile I thought. Denied!! Argghhhhhhh Charlie Brown scream.
[/h]

Understood the actual Keatonmobile was a dog.
But looks wise it invoked jet powered Vette qualities...
I agree, it's a wonderful design visually, and versatile--you could almost drop it into any era in the Batman story, and it would look right at home.

Will just keep my fingers crossed. I have to say I thought Ben did great as Batman in BvS, infact I thought the Batman scenes were the best parts of the whole movie.

I have to admit I am not a huge Affleck fan. However I think I will have a more positive attitude about it moving forward after seeing his adaptation in BvsS. I will be even more excited if Jeremy Irons is still Alfred. I thought he gave a great performance and I thought him and Affleck had nice chemistry together as well.

So are Affleck and Terrio not on speaking terms after BvS? :lol J/k (sorta), Terrio's probably busy with JL.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back