The Batman

Re: New Batman Standalone Film

I haven't seen the film yet but Affleck's Batman seems to be considered one of the bright spots of the movie. Maybe he really nails it.

Written...starring...and directed by Affleck???

SMileSlow.gif

Remember Tom Cruise in Valkyrie?

No matter how good the movie was. No matter how good his acting was. No matter how much he even physically resembled the real guy - it was still Tom Cruise playing that role, and that hurt the movie for a lot of people.

Same with Affleck as Batman.

I'm really surprised that Warner Bros even gave Affleck a shot at it. I don't know ANYONE who didn't roll their eyes when they found out he had been cast.

I'm really surprised that Warner Bros even gave Affleck a shot at it. I don't know ANYONE who didn't roll their eyes when they found out he had been cast.

I didn't roll my eyes. I thought it was genius casting. And I was right. I forgot it was Ben Affleck, I felt like I was looking at Bruce Wayne and Batman.

Batman Affleck movie - confirmed

I've long been a champion of Affleck's Batman (check the early days of the Batman v Superman thread). Many have praised Affleck's Batman in an otherwise not-so-well received debut. But, it appears to be official - we're getting an Affleck Bat flick....

It’s finally “official”! Warner Bros. CEO Kevin Tsujihara just took the stage at CinemaCon in Las Vegas and announced that a Ben Affleck solo Batman movie is in the works. He also spoke about the record-breaking opening weekend that Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice had.

“It set up a great foundation for our DC slate, which includes at least 10 movies through 2020,” Tsuijhara said. “I’m also excited to know that we will be working with Ben Affleck on a stand-alone Batman movie.”

http://batman-news.com/2016/04/12/warner-bros-ceo-confirms-ben-affleck-batman-movie/

Last edited:
Re: Batman Affleck movie - confirmed

This movie can't come fast enough. With the subtraction of Snyder, I already have higher hopes for this than everything else in DCs live action line-up.

Ben's portrayal of the Bat has been perfect for me.. Like Ryan Reynolds is Deadpool, he is the Batman.

if he was smart he'd make either frank miller's the dark knight returns or the killing joke.

I disagree - while both are amazing and iconic. I don't think Dark Knight Returns would work...

I'd go for The Long Halloween (...and if they must, somehow adding more Joker and some Death in the Family elements).

Aslong as they dont do as in BvS and take too many stories in one. Red hood storyline would actually be nice considering we have a joker and the damaged suit that was also shown in the cave. Agree tho that dark knight returns isnt really something i would want especially considering Snyder already loves and used parts of it in BvS.

I'd love to see Court of Owls elements in there. Psychological torture, investigation into the history of Gotham, really fleshing out the city on screen. Talon would be absolutely sick action on screen, it's sort of a dark story line so it fits in with the DCEU tone, could be set well before Superman appears battling Zod so we have a Batman who isnt on the edge of killing but is headed down that path due to the torture elements etc. Talons are also essentially unkillable in certain circumstances, so it gives a little bit of freedom with the action.

Through young bruce investigating the court of owls, we get some more young bruce development on screen aswell.

The armoured batsuit's origins could start in this film also, with a call to help from the bat family could be answered - a nice introduction to Jason or Dick, or perhaps both. Having a film with Jason alive for all of it nicely sets up for his later death with the suit in the cave etc.

Only problem with all of this, is Affleck is 43 I think? And at the time of filming this if we assume it releases in 2018, it'll film in 2017, so he'll be 44 at time of filming. BvS keeps that age about consistent. Can he effectively play a 33/34 year old, if 10 years previous is when Jason is killed? Possibly.

If Warner doesn't interfere with Affleck (e.g. "You have to add other JLA characters.") then this could be their first big break. Advice to WB - don't interfere and let Ben have his way.

Only problem with all of this, is Affleck is 43 I think? And at the time of filming this if we assume it releases in 2018, it'll film in 2017, so he'll be 44 at time of filming. BvS keeps that age about consistent. Can he effectively play a 33/34 year old, if 10 years previous is when Jason is killed? Possibly.
Would love a Court of Owl adaptation, and it would definitely give Wilkinson a chance to shine on the costume dept. with the Talons !
I'm sure Affleck can pull a man in his early 30's, make up can do that with a little CG enhancement if needed. They'd need another version of the batsuit though I think, leaner and a bit less muscular perhaps. And with less wear and tear probably.

If Warner doesn't interfere with Affleck (e.g. "You have to add other JLA characters.") then this could be their first big break. Advice to WB - don't interfere and let Ben have his way.

He'll definitely have to link in to the shared universe, but I wouldn't mind if it was minimal. It could even be his first run in with a young Amanda Waller, an early version of Cadmus where they are only just starting to experiment on humans to attempt "normal things" like enhanced healing or something.

Wayne Tech/Enterprises could also be developing certain things, perhaps a basic tie in with Kord industries, where we meet an enthusiastic younger Ted Kord? No actual suit or beetle yet, just a nice tie in.

Would love a Court of Owl adaptation, and it would definitely give Wilkinson a chance to shine on the costume dept. with the Talons !
I'm sure Affleck can pull a man in his early 30's, make up can do that with a little CG enhancement if needed. They'd need another version of the batsuit though I think, leaner and a bit less muscular perhaps. And with less wear and tear probably.

Yeah I can't see it being too big of an issue. Affleck has been aged up slightly with the grey hair etc so that mid 40's actually feels a bit older in this universe. So mid 30's as a crime fighter, we would expect him to be grizzled in the way that Cavill is a clean looking ageless kind of mid 30's.

I think Affleck might prefer a thinner batman, as reading a few interviews I think it was a hell of a challenge to keep that size. He'd still be imposing at his normal size with just a lean figure, he's like 6'3/4?

I'm trying to think of what kind of villain Affleck would prefer to write about, and the riddler keeps popping up. Imagine how good it would be, a well written, genius level riddler would put his detective skills to the test, would keep the need for mindless violence down, some of the big set pieces could be traps and ambushes etc rather than an all out brawl.

I'd love a cat and mouse thriller. Think Silence of the Lambs but with Batman. It won't happen but I think it could be great.

In order to distance itself from BvS I honestly believe it should NOT try to shoehorn other JLA members. Give Batman a chance to breathe and redefine himself in his own world of Gotham. Just do a straight up Batman story.
If WB pressures Affleck to, say, bring in WW just because she tested well in BvS then it's really going to cripple the film.

In order to distance itself from BvS I honestly believe it should NOT try to shoehorn other JLA members. Give Batman a chance to breathe and redefine himself in his own world of Gotham. Just do a straight up Batman story.
If WB pressures Affleck to, say, bring in WW just because she tested well in BvS then it's really going to cripple the film.

I don't think they'll force anything as obvious as that - if it's set before MoS then we won't need to worry about that I would think, and they will probably expand the DCEU by introducing some of Bat's characters. A hint of Catwoman maybe (not certain that's wise like) - Azrael? Possibly a little too fantastical, though no more than Court of Owls I suppose. Badass costume though. Personally I'd like to see him in a story where the stakes are simply someone's life, not the world or the city or a hundred people. Maybe just one family etc. But then it becomes a simple adbuction scenario which isnt good enough either. I still keep getting drawn back to the Riddler done seriously.

I don't think we will see the Joker, Bane or Two-face in the standalone film. It's too much like going over recent ground I think. Though to be fair, a full movie of Affleck vs Leto. Killing Joke in real life? An adapted Red Hood story line where Batman does snap, use lethal force, and "kill" the joker - joker would survive with help but refuses help and snaps his own neck? (and survives? haha there's quite a few things to take into account)

What story would you like to see brought to the screen? Or would you prefer it to be an original story?

I just want the movie to open mid detective case, and have Bruce tracking a string of murders across the city, finally leading him to Professor Pyg. who he would quickly dispatch. It could set a cool tone for the larger film to follow. If that start led to a story with a sweltering Gotham summer as the backdrop they could do a lot of interesting things. We've seen cold snowy Gotham, but something about crime while the citizens try to battle the heat really grabs my interest. Not sure if it would be a prequel or not, but Jason is a logical antagonist to pit Bruce against, while also letting them use characters like the Gotham crime families and Black mask, as the Red Hood takes them out during his rise.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back