Solo: A Star Wars Story

Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo)

You would think so, wouldn't you? And yet, during his relationship "breakup" with Disney he called them "White Slavers" and criticized them for doing a "retro", i.e. unoriginal, movie to "appeal to the fans". His comments also give the impression that his short-lived advisory role wasn't treated all that seriously by Disney/Lucasfilm/JJ either. For someone so used to having their word taken as gospel, that had to sting. His reaction to the prequel backlash also points to some degree of bitterness.

True, but I imagine it's not easy to walk away from the very thing that defined your life for so long. It doesn't seem unusual that Lucas would have a few moments of frustration and vent while he comes to terms with the fact that he handed it all over to someone else. And that's the key part, as Solo4114 mentioned... he voluntarily handed it off.

The "White Slavers" thing was taken entirely out of context.
The interviewer was couching a question over a theoretical extreme viewpoint he MIGHT have, and he helped her out in describing this THEORETICAL attitude. He then went on with a gentlemanly answer about stepping back and not getting in the way.

The "White Slavers" thing was taken entirely out of context.
The interviewer was couching a question over a theoretical extreme viewpoint he MIGHT have, and he helped her out in describing this THEORETICAL attitude. He then went on with a gentlemanly answer about stepping back and not getting in the way.

I'm not sure what interview you are referring to, Treadwell. The one I'm talking about was with a male interviewer named Charlie Rose and there is no sign of a question directly preceding the "White Slavers" comment that matches your description of "theoretical extreme viewpoint".

Here is the interview in question:

The "white slavers" comment happens at the 50 minute mark. Now before anyone says it, YES, a little while after George's controversial remark, Charlie presses him on whether the "divorce" WAS painful and George denies it. But the language George uses to describe the whole parting of ways doesn't really support his assertion.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm not sure what interview you are referring to, Treadwell. The one I'm talking about was with a male interviewer named Charlie Rose and there is no sign of a question directly preceding the "White Slavers" comment that matches your description of "theoretical extreme viewpoint".

Here is the interview in question:

https://youtu.be/6jWtbJxzGpQ?t=45m

The "white slavers" comment happens at the 50 minute mark. Now before anyone says it, YES, a little while after George's controversial remark, Charlie presses him on whether the "divorce" WAS painful and George denies it. But the language George uses to describe the whole parting of ways doesn't really support his assertion.

This is a man in pain.

The Wook

This is a man in pain.

The Wook

I agree. I know it's not a classic film, but I can picture Lucas using a line similar to this, original line from the film Heaven Can Wait, tweaked (at least in his inner monologue, when asked about selling to Disney).

George Lucas: They got my Star Wars empire. The son's of a bitch got my empire.
Reporter to Lucas : What kind of pressure did they use George?
George Lucas: Well, I asked for billions, and they said "okay."
Reporter to Lucas: Ruthless bastards!

Thanks for the interview link, and I obviously had misremembered who the interviewer was.

But he's being colorful. Rose said he sold his children, so Lucas went with that theme. It still isn't the same thing as Lucas calling Disney that out of the blue.

Thanks for the interview link, and I obviously had misremembered who the interviewer was.

But he's being colorful. Rose said he sold his children, so Lucas went with that theme. It still isn't the same thing as Lucas calling Disney that out of the blue.

Nevertheless, the highly charged comment still reeks of bitterness, helplessness, insecurity, seller's remorse, and pain. As do the rest of his comments on the sale.

The Wook

HIS STORY TO TELL? Try HIS TECHNOLOGY TO SHOWCASE. The story was created to suit the SFX. The bonus material available on the prequel DVDs is testament to that.

The story boarding in TPM with GL's use of highlighting pens. At one point he claims 'Jar Jar is the key to this whole thing, if we get this right........'
In AOTC he needed to pad out the second act a little so he had Portman and Christensen running back and forth on a blue screen saying 'don't worry, this'll be a fun little scene'. That fun little scene was the droid factory nonsense.
Im sure there's a lot more damning evidence (including the movies themselves) but I haven't watched them for years and don't intend to. If I understand your SWIQ concept, then the approach to making the prequels doesn't even register.
He waited for technology to be at a point that he could tell the story the way he wanted yet the restraints of SFX in the seventies didn't stop him making a masterpiece. The thing that George Lucas missed is if it wasn't the huge phenomenon it has become there would have been no interest in returning to it

Kersh was teaching some classes at UCLA and GL took those classes...maybe that's why the Prof/Student context was a little awkward for GL to say something harsh during principal photography. Yes, Kersh had his views on SW...and ESB was a way to put them in motion so to speak. If there was a very good sequel to a very good first film, ESB was that movie!!

As for SW, it is for its lack of technology that it is so great! It's a simple tale, tugging at the Historical Man/Reluctant Hero and it touched us, like never before. You didn't need all of that CGI to tell the story, you'd only need physical model, mattes and the imagination of your audience!

I get the feeling that Lucas sold SW partially just as a matter of long-term planning.

He knows he's not going to live forever. Eventually SW will end up in somebody else's hands. By selling it while he was still above ground he could choose the new owner, set the terms of the deal, take his money, and spend that money how he wants.

I have wondered what specific events might have helped push him to sell when he did. Did he have a health scare? Something he really wants to sink money into now? Did his kids express a lack of interest in taking over the mantle when he's gone? Etc.

I think he sold because he knew his SWIQ was gone and he didn't want to hear the ridicule and complaints of making another trilogy for 7,8, and 9. So why not just sell it for 4 billion.

So does being more like Lucas earn him more?

Depends if you mean the young George, with the genius SWIQ, who made us laugh at this:

tumblr_nynvsiQl9y1v02lsxo5_500.gif

Or the older George, with next to no SWIQ at all, who tried to make us laugh at this:

nPZ3NV.gif

The Wook

Depends if you mean the young George, with the genius SWIQ, who made us laugh at this:

View attachment 740412

Or the older George, with next to no SWIQ at all, who tried to make us laugh at this:

View attachment 740413

The Wook

To be fair, you're assuming that George was solely responsible in the first case. With Gary and Marcia involved, to say the least, that's a big assumption. George's initial instinct might've been something much broader, but which was tempered by the "no-men" around him, rather than the "yes-men" who surrounded him during the prequels.

None of this, by the way, is to diminish Lucas' talents. He's undeniably talented. But I tend to think (and I've said this before) that Lucas is fundamentally an idea man, whose ideas break down thusly:

- 5 out of 10 are really dumb or unworkable.
- 3 out of 10 are really pretty good, and if massaged a bit, could be brilliant.
- 2 out of 10 are pure genius that no one would ever think of in a million years.

With the OT, especially the first two, you got the last two and massaged versions of the middle 3. The remaining 5 never made it to the screen because of budgetary limits, or someone saying "George, that's a dumb idea. We shouldn't do that." With the PT, you got all 10 on screen. Absolute brilliance in some places, other places where you can see the germ of a brilliant ideas whose execution was botched, and a whole lot of crap as well.

To be fair, you're assuming that George was solely responsible in the first case. With Gary and Marcia involved, to say the least, that's a big assumption. George's initial instinct might've been something much broader, but which was tempered by the "no-men" around him, rather than the "yes-men" who surrounded him during the prequels.

None of this, by the way, is to diminish Lucas' talents. He's undeniably talented. But I tend to think (and I've said this before) that Lucas is fundamentally an idea man, whose ideas break down thusly:

- 5 out of 10 are really dumb or unworkable.
- 3 out of 10 are really pretty good, and if massaged a bit, could be brilliant.
- 2 out of 10 are pure genius that no one would ever think of in a million years.

With the OT, especially the first two, you got the last two and massaged versions of the middle 3. The remaining 5 never made it to the screen because of budgetary limits, or someone saying "George, that's a dumb idea. We shouldn't do that." With the PT, you got all 10 on screen. Absolute brilliance in some places, other places where you can see the germ of a brilliant ideas whose execution was botched, and a whole lot of crap as well.

Very true, Dano. And don't forget Richard Chew.

Listening to some of the dreadful dialogue that Carrie and Mark and Harrison read in their auditions, which thankfully was revised or scrapped altogether, was written by George, and makes me wonder--did HE revise/replace it, or did someone else? We know Brian DePalma told George his 7 paragraph crawl for Star Wars was ridiculously long, when George showed it to him in late '76 or early '77, insisting he sit down with George so the two of them could revise it together. Similarly, did he, or one of George's other buddies help revise that awful, wordy, techy, dialogue used in the auditions? Dunno.

So, your point is well taken. Although I disagree that 2 out of every 10 ideas in the PT were genius. More like 2 in 50. Or 100.

Having said all that, since we don't really know who may've contributed what to Star Wars, I'm gonna give George the benefit of the doubt that's it's almost exclusively his baby. And it was genius storytelling. He didn't do everything. But he hired John Williams. He hired Ralph McQuarrie. He hired Stuart Freeborn. He cast Carrie, and Mark, and Harrison, and Alec, and Peter, and David, and the tall Peter, and so on, and so on. (Obviously, I'm leaving out tons of major contributors, but you get my drift.)

Most importantly, George was the ultimate decider. And I stand by the two examples I used to illustrate the difference between George's high-SWIQ humor in Star Wars, and his low-SWIQ humor in the PT. George thought Jar Jar was hilarious. If that's not evidence of a low SWIQ, I don't know what is.

The Wook

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back