Solo: A Star Wars Story

IMG_20180109_221707.jpg

I agree. I can't wait to see how they explain the longer mandibles inuniverse.. :facepalm

I'm not sure anyones mentioned it yet, so maybe I'm crazy, but...it's not just the addition of that central portion, but the mandibles are longer (as a ratio of the overall fore-aft dimension), AND the angled outer portion doesn't transition to the saucer even close to the almost-tangent fashion of the original. Not to mention, the gap between the mandibles is far less than the original.

Am I being Mr. Obvious, and just no one's mentioned it for "No Duh" reasons? I'm not the only one seeing this, right? These are totally different mandibles (which I'm totally okay with for "modifications" reasons...although these would be major and quite pricey, I would think.)

EDIT: I think "Astroboy" is saying something similar..?

As far as changing the falcon goes, I'm of the belief that you alter the texture of something, but you don't alter the relationship with the dimensions.

Look at the enterprise refit. The relationships between the elements stayed the same, but it looked sleeker.

Compare that with the JJ prise where the nacelles are too bulky and too close together. They forgot the the fact that the elements worked together as a design.

There are a lot of reasons the falcon works as a design. It's not symmetrical, but it's balanced.

This new design wrecks the brilliant proportions that make the falcon work

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

View attachment 786264

I agree. I can't wait to see how they explain the longer mandibles inuniverse.. :facepalm

Yup, this is a major structural change to the ship, that would dramatically alter its weight, balance, maneuverability, cockpit visibility, etc.

I hate when artists urinate on someone else's work, just to give it their own signature. Especially when that work is the Mona Lisa of spaceships.

The Wook

Yup, this is a major structural change to the ship, that would dramatically alter its weight, balance, maneuverability, cockpit visibility, etc.

I hate when artists urinate on someone else's work, just to give it their own signature. Especially when that work is the Mona Lisa of spaceships.

The Wook
There is a reason that the viper mark 2 was the hero fighter on nu-galactica, rather than the mark 7.

The mark 7 was like a modern version. It looked like a Lexus.

Whereas the mark 2 was like a modern Challenger. It echoed the original enough, but built on it.

The thing is, the falcon as we know it, is old and rusty. There are panels that are swapped out and there are painted sectioned that are scraped off their paint.

All of that can only be achieved with age.

But this looks like a different ship. The mandible section is completely different and we've lost the dimensional relationships of the ideas.

If I were to design an earlier version, I would take off the guns and fill in a couple of the maintenance Wells...and that's it. Perhaps lose the radar dish

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I have no problem with how the Falcon looks,....she's clean, intact, undamaged,....& if Lando is the owner of her in this film when we see her,...that would be the way I'd expect her to look

What Han would use the ship for is totally different than Lando,....so damage & repair on the go will have it's toll on the bird

J

Insofar that Lucasfilm is a wholly owned subsidiary of Disney, all of Lucasfilm profit and loss flows through Disney’s balance sheet. Lucasfilm operates independently in regards to budgeting, so if R1 or Solo come in over budget and that effects net profitability that directly hits Disney’s bottom line as Lucasfilm doesn’t have independent financial disclosure. So does it matter? Yes, it’s a pass through but still has an economic impact. It’s not Disney paying for the production, it’s LF. Does that go somewhat towards answering your question or have I made a hash of it? :)

It it is true their are economics of scale overall that can help keep film production costs in general down with Disney properties making so many live action films per year.

Thanks Bryan, as concise as usual. I was in an interesting discussion over British FIlm tax breaks , and how they have massively increased film production volumes in the UK over the last decade in particular . Of course Marvel , Lucasfilm and DIsney represents a solid chuck of that business.
The investment structure where a film production was often pulled by a studio if the production fell behind because the budget was exceeded doesn't apply , given that Disney as the parent company acts as a guarrantor that the film will be completed ,no matter what (not that Lucasfilm or Marvel are short of capital).
So the production studios ie Lucasfilm are not hit with the usual ruinous financial penalties ,once they go over budget, as all of the costs of making the film are covered by Lucasfilm ,as is the tax relief that gets credited back to them via the UK, which is well into the millions on many productions.
Being separate financial companies helps maintain those advantages, and although the overall cost of making the movie does increase, it isn't at the incredibly inflated interest charges that are often applied when the backers have to find more cash to complete the filming.Hence all the reshoots.
Overall the tax relief on film production in the UK over the last decade has been an incredible success story and I imagine it will continue for many years more.
I'm not so sure about the positive success of Solo though. I had hoped some of those ground vehicle designs on set would be replaced with digital ones , but it looks like they are going to be in the film.And if they were ever going to do a movie like this then I'm guessing it has to be now, before IX is released, as I anticipate that both Chewie amd the Falcon wil be the last sacrifice the OT can make for the NT ( given that Kylo hates that ship so much) In the several plot outlines for IX I did it was the only way to get any truely hard emotional beats into the movie, given who we are left with , though in a couple of others the new cast also paid a pleasingly heavy price as well.

I'm surprisingly OK with the way the Newish Falcon looks. It makes sense to me that Lando would take care of her by staying mostly on the rightside of the law, whilst Han ,being the risk taker would likely get her beaten up like a rally car.

I just imagine them flying through a sand storm at the end of the film and it corroding all the paint off.

Sent from my BLU LIFE MARK using Tapatalk

The Wook

I dare say that the proportions are totally off, now. There is no counterweight to the back in that design. It reminds me of that totally failed design attempt at Darth Maul´s Sith Infiltrator that looked like DV´s Tie X-1 with a snout. Turn front to back and you have something, but this...

This has been such a treat. The Wook has been especially argumentative lately. What's gotten under his fur? Could Solo finally be the Disneyverse SW film that puts him over the edge and sends him into an unstoppable arm-pulling-off rage?

Last edited:
This has been such a treat. The Wook has been especially argumentative lately. What's gotten under his fur? Could Solo finally be the Disneyverse SW film that puts him over the edge and sends him into an unstoppable arm-pulling-off rage?

He still owes the world his TLJ review. I'm pretty sure that movie has all but destroyed him.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back