Solo: A Star Wars Story

Anyone know if there's a rear-shot of the rangetrooper floating around? I know they had both versions at the toy fair but no one I've seen even got a side-view of it

I will go with what George Lucas said, being the actual creator it kinda carries more weight.

Do you believe that Jabba was meant to be a stop-motion slug creature? That's always been George's story... but I find it very hard to believe that they gave that fat Irish guy a full costume, including blaster and had Harrison Ford walk all the way around him, intending to replace the actor with a stop-motion creature.

Do you believe that Jabba was meant to be a stop-motion slug creature? That's always been George's story... but I find it very hard to believe that they gave that fat Irish guy a full costume, including blaster and had Harrison Ford walk all the way around him, intending to replace the actor with a stop-motion creature.

Can you show me where Lucas said that? It would help me out to answer stuff like that if I actually saw it. Lots of George said this or someone maybe wrote that going on.

Lol... just the easiest spot to find the info. Most of this is covered in the "From Star Wars to Jedi: The Making of a Saga" documentary.

The easy answer would be when Joe Johnson I think did slug sketches of Jabba.

Right. Ok. Sure. Never mind that we see the battle in ROTS where the wookiees fight alongside the clones.

Lucas did wookies in ROTS because he now had the money and technology to do what he wanted.

Interestingly enough, Ewoks were done better IMHO from a cinematography standpoint. Most things Lucas did in the prequels look like blue screen sets or animation. ROTJ had real actors on costume on location and it shows. Old school!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I believe its on the Trilogy BR set (both Trilogy box set). Well worth watching.

Cool, I`ve got the individual BR`s already so will have to find another source as there`s no way I`m going to contribute to Disney`s profits by getting the box set. Maybe its on You Tube.

Lucas did wookies in ROTS because he now had the money and technology to do what he wanted.

Interestingly enough, Ewoks were done better IMHO from a cinematography standpoint. Most things Lucas did in the prequels look like blue screen sets or animation. ROTJ had real actors on costume on location and it shows. Old school!

That would address the "we didn't have the budget" line of argument, but not the "He's too technologically advanced" line of argument.

Like I said, I think the bottom line on why he picked teddy bears specifically was merchandising. You could've done any kind of primitive creature from a story perspective, or stuck with wookiees. Lizard-men like something out of Enemy Mine, (insert color here)-skinned humanoids, pick-your-head-wrinkle Star Trek aliens, whatever. At the end of the day, there's no reason it had to be ewoks.

Lucas' justification at the time was somethign to the effect of "It's always the cute fuzzy bunny that you see on the side of the road who helps you, and who you don't think is really a threat." Apparently referencing something from mythology or fables or fairy tales. Although I have a hard time thinking of stories where the cute, fuzzy little bunny (or whatever) that the hero encounters turns out to be the solution to the hero's problem in such stories. I can think of all manner of faerie-folk (elves, sprites, brownies, whatever-you-wanna-pull-from-the-AD&D-Monster-Manual-or-Grimm's), but not fuzzy bunnies that can easily be sold as plush dolls.

Never read that book, but the discussion of "he's not primitive enough" dates back at least to "From Star Wars to Jedi: The Making of a Saga."

Also mentined in the Rinzler book here:

Attachments

• A8FE4FAC-31CF-4F5D-91DD-73A0257011FE.jpeg
    A8FE4FAC-31CF-4F5D-91DD-73A0257011FE.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 129

Attachments

• 85D2CAB5-1764-471F-9DE3-58604AB5D54F.jpeg
    85D2CAB5-1764-471F-9DE3-58604AB5D54F.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 147
Wow, George changed some stuff on his journey to produce a grand saga. Outrageous.

I think its great how a simple response to post number 4063 has mutated a full four pages later into a merchandising, Ewok, Wookie, Porg, ROTJ, SWIQ discussion with people clammering to hit the books and post examples of all sorts of things. It`s even provided an opportunity to pull the old Anti George Lucas flags out of moth balls and wave them around again. Still, beats hearing the bland promotion about great new characters and upcoming toys from Solo.

Yep... that's the flow of the forum.

I'm just waiting for more photos of AE's Solo so I can figure out the exact nature of the side straps of his jacket. So I'll be watching every post regardless of how off topic we go! ;)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back