Solo: A Star Wars Story

Like I've said before we don't have proof that Han is always selfish. He could have been the hero we see in ROTJ, but something happens and he says "Well screw everyone, I'm only worrying about myself now." I predict it will be a woman's fault because I've been there. :lol ;) ;)

Han has lived a life, always playing by the rules and always trying to do the right thing, living paycheck to paycheck. All the while seeing others, be deceitful and dishonest and making it big. He struggles with his morals, but has to make it somehow. So he slowly turns to a "mob" instinct. A smugglers world. Never intentionally hurting anyone, but he feels guilty, always on the run. He gets tired of this life as a smuggler. And now we have ANH.

Boy do I hate that new Falcon design...

Not a fan, either.

The ship we meet in Docking Bay 94 looks like it was last painted 60 years earlier. Not 2, or 5, or 10 years earlier. it didn't need a different paint scheme. They can never leave well enough alone. And as for the closed off pincers, it totally ruins the look of the ship.

A cynical attempt to sell more toys, is what this is all about.

The Wook

I’ll never get the whole ‘cynical attempt to sell more toys’ thing with Star Wars.
From day dot Star Wars has been about toys - plus - you know it ends up how you like it by the time it gets to the OT so what’s the harm in seeing a familiar thing in a different light for a little bit?

Plus, it becomes a smuggling ship, changing its look a few times might behove them, right?

N.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In fact, could you put me at the absolute bottom rung of your ladder of SWIQ rankings?
I love the OT, The Prequels, Force Awakens, Last Jedi, Rebels - the lot of it.

Chewie has a very different bandolier in this movie - it covers both shoulders - this will be an affront to your ‘Star Wars IQ’ for some weird reason. To me, I think it looks cool and freshens Chewie up a little bit. He didn’t come out of the womb wearing the bandolier you recognise, thus he’s allowed to have rocked a slightly different brand or whatever before he settled on what became his favourite, go-to item.

Thanks for hearing me out,

N.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In fact, could you put me at the absolute bottom rung of your ladder of SWIQ rankings?

Sure, but you'll have to share the rung with Bryan. (j/k Bryan.)

I love the OT, The Prequels, Force Awakens, Last Jedi, Rebels - the lot of it.

You are KK's perfect fanboy.

But I guess I'm not surprised, because, IINM, you said in a previous post you are a millennial.

Chewie has a very different bandolier in this movie - it covers both shoulders - this will be an affront to your ‘Star Wars IQ’ for some weird reason. To me, I think it looks cool and freshens Chewie up a little bit. He didn’t come out of the womb wearing the bandolier you recognise, thus he’s allowed to have rocked a slightly different brand or whatever before he settled on what became his favourite, go-to item.

I haven't seen it yet. (If you have a pic, please post it.) So I cannot comment on it. But if it looks cool, I'm sure I'll be okay with it. It's just a bandolier. Why would I object to him wearing a different bandolier? It's not much different than Han changing from his navy w/red stripe pants to brown w/gold stripe pants.

You're just not getting it. That ship is so old and weathered and beaten in Docking Bay 94, there is no way it received a fresh paint job in the previous few years. It's not just an affront to my SWIQ, it's an affront to common sense.

You do have common sense...don't you?

The Wook

I agree it's stupid to have the Falcon so freshly painted.

But we could tell ourselves the ANH look was intentional camouflage for smuggling purposes. That's how I will rationalize it.

Also, I think 60 years is a bit much. Modern vehicle paintjobs can look worn in 20 years and older paints (less durable) didn't need nearly so long in harsh environments. Maybe the Falcon eventually spends some time in a VERY corrosive acidic atmosphere or something.

This was a Hollywood faked weathering job. The car was not rusty or rough at all when they started. The rust is brown textured paint.

8633087_3.jpg

I agree it's stupid to have the Falcon so freshly painted.

But we could tell ourselves the ANH look was intentional camouflage for smuggling purposes. That's how I will rationalize it.

Han is also a Space Pirate, or am I drawing too much from the Marvel comics, as well as a smuggler.
If the falcon was used as a commerce raider it needs to disguise itself.
The falcon we know and love could be under all that junk camouflage.

Plus while the movie is Solo, could be Lando's ship and he's pimped it out with a paint job and fake star destroyer nose... just like a jacked up corvette or a low rider SUV.
They make no sense but people enjoy doing it.

I just have to say I love being able to come here and see adults argue about such things. :) These are pretty terrible times out there in the real world, and being lost in the nonsense of fantasy is a great respite from all of it.

Now, all that said, I don't want to see the Falcon disrespected either, so I'm holding on to hope and not letting these images influence me; the Falcon itself could be a metaphor for Han's possible arc: acquires it all shiny and pretty - or even MAKES it all shiny and pretty - in his Pollyanna days, and then either lets it go to hell in a cynical "Nothing is ever what it seems to be" phase due to some trauma, or, as others have said, the whole "camouflage" thing for smuggling.

I went in cold to TLJ and it totally bit me. I'm going to have fun with this, no matter what we get. :) I mean, we've never really had a "bad" SW movie, right? Different approaches for different tastes, sure, but...never an "impending doom" vibe. I'm kinda digging the whole "underdog" approach here. I'll probably even buy some toys. I hope the little dogs are cute. I did like the Porgs in TLJ.

I think I'm losing my mind. But I'm resigned to it. I feel like I'm losing my grip somewhat on my SW of old, and I really need this to grab me somehow.

Last edited:
Sure, but you'll have to share the rung with Bryan. (j/k Bryan.)

Guilty. :) I do approach my fandom from the position of a desire to enjoy and have fun with all the offerings. I think this film is going to be a really fun romp. TLJ was pretty heady stuff, I think this will be pure fun.

Rumor has it that Solo reshoots will start shortly and will last about 3 weeks. This is most likely the planned for smaller, pick up shots and not expected to be anything big - just stuff that may have been overlooked or missed during the first much larger scale "reshoot."

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back