Solo: A Star Wars Story

I really like this new TV spot : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDBk2wOkC4Q

Never tell me the odds but could this actually be the start of a new hope for SW fans?

Not as long as the love-child of Ray Liotta and Leonardo DiCaprio is playing Han Solo. He ruins every trailer, no matter what other cool elements may be in it. He ruins them when I see his squat face, he ruins them when I see his tiny body, and he ruins them when I hear his squeaky voice.

Last edited:
Peter H said:
viewpost-right.png

Hm, did they change something on the front-landing-gear-section of the cgi-modell in this Trailer at 0:07? :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=atzwljNyqFU

See....didn't I tell you all that the Falcon would probably loose the forward two landing gears so that we end up with a 3 gear version that connects to how she is seen in ANH

J

viewpost-right.png

Last edited by a moderator:
It's really tragic that people are embarrassed for liking what they are seeing.

And let the back-peddling begin.

Doubt it.

Since the movie hasn't been released yet it is still only speculation if the movie will be good or bad.
Even once released it will be a subjective opinion as to the measure of goodness or ill.

Star Wars is not a scientific theory, where we can have an objective discussion based on observation and measurement of evidence.
It is an art form with a collective history.
Just as religion is debated and fought over so too will the "purer faith" of the art form and life of Star Wars.

OT, prequals, post-lucas, #notmySolo....
Interestingly, it is as if we are witnessing the development of sects that will divide the greater whole.

I'm not surprised. People will go and see this whether or not they think they will either love or hate it.If its poor the disappointed will deservedly rip into Lucasfilm and Disney because yet again they will have failed to listen to their concerns. If its a hit, or even just moderately good ,well, then its a welcome step in the right direction.

Plus a lot of people make good money now exploiting "bad news" over the internet. Its particularly noticable on youtube and social channel trending these days . Controversy breeds discussion and lets face it, elements of the internet thrive on that. They need the hits .So many people will need to see this early to get in on the arguement .

Despite my deep disappointment in TLJ there is something about this movie in the trailers that has won me over. In tone it reminds more of the OT than anything we have been offered previously, plus it feels like a throw back to those buddy movies we used to get. I like it so far............
I think most of us can agree Alden physically doesn't much resemble Harrison but he does appear to occasionally channel him, and if I'm honest, if they get the relationship right between him and Chewie, I'm going to like it.
I know its not their intention but I'm kind of feeling like Han is the "McGuffin" in this, around which its the other elements of the movie more I strongly want to see, like Chewie, Lando, the Falcon and the old Empire. I'm really surprised by how badly I want that, to feel they have recaptured some of the spirit of the Original series.Plus I trust Ron Howard as a director to have got the balance of this right.

Don't be silly, Bryan. Films don't need to be totally finished to release trailers and launch advertising campaigns. You know that.

I dont make it here to the RPF as much anymore so I binge read. By doing so, is Bryan on some payroll plan to hype LFL projects? I myself have worked on many (both old and new LFL) and never had any issue speaking my own personal opinion, positive or negative, but Bryan, come on man, tell us, how much do they pay you? Remember this is Disney LFL not George's LFL. The Disney that wouldnt even give tickets to the POTC sequel premier at Disneyland to crew members that spent years working on it when they had thousands of extra tickets to do so with.

Anyways, rant over.

As far as the trailer and promo footage question is concerned, a prime example was National Treasure and the pipe. It was finalized in fabrication on Monday, painted and shipped on Tuesday, arrived to the production/set and filmed on Weds, in the trailer released on Thurs. Thats as accurate as I can tell it. Without derailing this thread more, its obvious they wanted to delay anything Solo related until TLJ had run its course. Its a wise financial decision to do so not because of what TLJ is to most but thats the film being promoted at the time. They knew TLJ was going to be a speed bump at a certain point but underestimated the size of the bump as it turned into a rising volcanic mountain. Weve been weened in footage and the voice of the new young Solo leading up to literal weeks before the films public release. I believe ive said it before but Ill say it again, they should have stuck with the December release dates.
BUT, and Im big on buts, was the decision to do so locked in place on the (at the time) potential failure to perform theatrically with TLJ? This has my curiosity going like a bag of cats in a catnip pond. Because if thats true, then the powers that be knew from the conception of the Solo film TLJ was a high risk gamble and that something would have to be in place to make up for those potential box office numbers AND merchandising within the year. So what to do, put out another SW film months after and use those numbers to pad the years profits. Has anyone here taken any buisness classes? And yes I left that spelling in as a joke, because lol's.

I have to put this out there as well,
Having an acting coach on set is more common than not. A director has countless things going on in their head at any given moment to focus solely on one performance. Even more so in the new age of lightning film making. Where a director used to have time due to necessities such as film loading, lens swaps, camera cool down, lighting set ups... these days its mostly a thing of the past with digital. An acting coach is there to take that job of focus on an actor. There should really be a new title given to both acting and dialogue coaches so the actor isnt belittled for being directed by someone other than the director. Long ago I spoke of people not going to be happy towards the choice of young Han Solo but AE is a good guy. Not too sure if things will ever come out publicly so lets just say an actor is being asked to do multiple versions of a scene in different contexts as the same scene on the fly. From the outside looking in its nothing much but as the person in question, remembering, delivering, reacting... to dialogue as youre already trying to keep it strait performing as someone else's character thats well established, it gets really muddy. People accepted Tom Hardy as Max when he was NOTHING like Max. And yes I know, Ingruber for the win. But we have what we have so give AE a chance.

Lastly, I dont care for the turn of SW being made in the Marvel formula. On paper combining the two equals a new money symbol for our keyboards, but the actual end result, is that of truck stop sushi. It may look good when youre starving hungry, but it will taste like spoiled milk leaving a coating in your mouth that just wont leave. Lets see if the set up for the Boba Fett movie is in place during Solo.

While I enjoyed TLJ (an 8 on a scale of 1 to 10), I'm more inclined to change my mind/ideas I had about Solo. As some have mentioned, this feels more like ANH/ESB than TLJ or RO.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back