Solo: A Star Wars Story

A question for anyone here, whether you have liked the last few movies or not: what would you rather see going forward? Brand new characters, worlds, and stories, all far removed from what has come before, or more attempts to “get it right” with familiar heroes/villains/places and the frequent nostalgia callbacks we’ve been seeing?

I would rather have stories not immediately connected to the old characters. Not that I didn’t want eps 7,8, and 9. I do. Regarding other Star Wars stories, there is a problem with ALL prequels, and that is you know what’s going to come. The PT gave us really bad explanations of what had happened before.....and while I liked Solo, it wasn’t necessary. Rogue One was fairly decent, but again, not exactly full of surprises. I don’t need to see a Boba Fett film, and even an Obi wan film, while intriguing to a point, better be damn good.
I’ll happily take a Rogue Squadron type of film, or some ancillary in universe story where the outcome is mildly in doubt.

Finally saw it. Yes, it was too dark, speaking illumination-wise.

I saw it with my folks for my birthday. I'm 44 today. However, the overt sexual references weren't funny, and even at my advanced age, made me super uncomfortable. Why? Why did that have to be in there? It was just weird and useless. It may be Disney's biggest affront to George's creation yet. Making a movie that kids might feel awkward watching with their folks is not something that was ever in the cards for him, that I can imagine. Was glad L3 wasn't in it for too long.

It makes me sad that Howard will probably not be allowed to direct another "Star Wars" movie. I enjoy him as a director, and for him to take any blame for it's perceived failure is unfair. He did the best he could with a troubled production.

There was plenty I enjoyed. Most of which I'm sure is easy to guess and has probably been pointed out here. The anthology films are where it's at for me so far.

Last edited:
Moving forward, I really wonder what Disney will do next, with this movie turning out as badly for them as it has. I’ll admit here that when I mentioned a “minority” of fans who were unhappy about TLJ and to a lesser extent much of the other stuff produced since Disney bought the franchise, I may have underestimated just how widespread the sentiment was. It’s difficult to gauge anger on the internet, since the most vocal people tend to be on one extreme or the other.

A question for anyone here, whether you have liked the last few movies or not: what would you rather see going forward? Brand new characters, worlds, and stories, all far removed from what has come before, or more attempts to “get it right” with familiar heroes/villains/places and the frequent nostalgia callbacks we’ve been seeing?

Personally, the way things have been going, I’d opt for the former. I’m curious if Disney has it backwards. Instead of mining the OT for every bit of nostalgia they can (and missing the mark on “doing it right” according to many, many fans), maybe they should try something entirely different? I’m sure early discussions centered around the idea that the OT was the best loved part of the franchise and that tying new films to it was somewhat crucial to fan happiness and monetary success. Maybe they were wrong?

Agree with your your thoughts about future SW films ... as long as RJ and his ‘ brand ‘ of filmmaking isn’t involved with any of them .

:cheersGed

I loved everything about Solo. I think some extra back story about Han and his “dad” would have been a little more pulling at the heart strings. Especially since his own son kills him. Some sort of irony could have been exploited. That’s just a side note. I was however disappointed at the lack of blue milk.

The Easter eggs and AND legends connections.....whoa.

I’m super excited to see a Mandalorian Star Wars film.

I also liked L337. I’m a droid fan, the Legends of Luke Skywalker book highlights some droid perspective that I think is a fascinating philosophical element of Star Wars.

The DVD will make a fine addition to my collection.

Saw it for a third time with my other kid and his friend. Lol!

I'm up to four so far, and still hoping to see it as many more times as I can in theaters. Incidentally, everyone I've seen it with has liked it a lot and, with the exception of the teenaged kid of one friend, and another friend who turns 30 this summer, everyone I've seen it with so far has been in their late 30s to early 40s (including me *sigh*) and a pretty much lifelong SW fan, casual to fairly immersive.

Pleasantly surprised. Didn't love all of it and found that the plot meandered and it was overly long in spots, but still exceeded expectations. Ron Howard did a good job. I would have prefered showing Han being a wiseguy at the academy instead of the romantic opener. The actor playing Han lacked Ford's natural charm, but he was good enough and, as always, Chewie is the secret sauce that makes it work. The guy playing Lando was having a great time.

Thumbs up for me.

A question for anyone here, whether you have liked the last few movies or not: what would you rather see going forward? Brand new characters, worlds, and stories, all far removed from what has come before, or more attempts to “get it right” with familiar heroes/villains/places and the frequent nostalgia callbacks we’ve been seeing? ...

Honestly? A healthy mix of both. I'd love a more in-depth backstory on the TPM Jedi Council, The more I learn about it, the more i'd love to see what they do with a Master Sifo Dias character. However, R1 is absolutely my favorite of the new string, and it seemed like it was born off of a single, "toss-able" line from Mon Mothma. So, to that respect, Absolutely flesh out some of these hinted at stories from the EU and Offhand Comments.

Solo, while my lowest marked SW Movie (seen in one sitting) to date, Is definitely a movie I enjoyed overall. Hit the target but not the mark. Long story short, He should've stayed dead.

If the PT didn't ruin Darth Vader (though it tried...oh MAN did it try), then TLJ didn't ruin Luke and Solo didn't ruin Han. If the OT is the only thing you love about SW, then, well, you'll always have Paris.

Oh nevermind, Lucas, who some of you want back, ruined and suppressed the OT.

Any word on Solo's bluray date?

September is the Blu-Ray release estimate, I think.

To add to what you said, I find the “new Star Wars is ruining my childhood!” argument from fans in their 40s and 50s to be the most puzzling of all. Really? Retroactively ruining it?

Who is forcing these poor fans to keep watching?

In my own case, I can look back to the fourth Indiana Jones movie. I loved the original 3, and didn’t feel like the literal “ride off into the sunset” at the end of Last Crusade could be topped. Did I watch the new movie anyway? Did I complain about how it was terrible, and ruined the others, and ruined my life? No. I just didn’t go see it. Plenty of people seemed to enjoy it. Nothing lost for me by letting others enjoy things.

edit: also wanted to add that I’m not suggesting that people who haven’t loved every one of these new movies should quit watching them altogether. Just that it often sounds like people feel obligated to go to each new film as it comes out. It’s ok to take a break or skip one. It’s easier than ever to catch up on what you may have missed. I think I have a copy of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull in my box set. Who knows, maybe someday I’ll feel like watching it.

Last edited:
It’s ok to take a break or skip one.

Its funny you say that as the largest group in Star Wars history recently did exactly that. Whether that is just confined to one movie is something I`m sure Disney are worried about even though there will be those who would straight up lie and say they are not.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back