Solo: A Star Wars Story

I really enjoyed the movie...granted, I pay my money to be entertained, not be Siskel and Ebert and pick the movie apart. And we also got some cool schwag!!!

Solodice.jpg
Soloposter.jpg

Having fun at a Star Wars film is what it’s all about. :)

Its kinda funny hearing that now after all the shade thrown at people who think exactly the same thing but were bitterly disappointed after seeing that The Last Jedi contained none at all. I dont think I ever saw one defence of that movie that contained the word fun. I guess six months is a long time in the Star Wars universe.

Last edited:
Its kinda funny hearing that now after all the shade thrown at people who think exactly the same thing but were bitterly disappointed after seeing that The Last Jedi contained none at all. I dont think I ever saw one defence of that movie that contained the word fun. I guess six months is a long time in the Star Wars universe.

Yeah, but alot of that was self inflicted. Personally I still want to smack that reporter who dragged all that mindless crap up about Lando. Its THE ROBOT that seems to be "pan" delusional (and I did slightly shudder at the conversation she had with Qi'ra). Lando just seems to be cool, charming and pimp to everybody. He loved his ship like guys love their cars .
So yeah, I take most of all of what I was worried about back. Watching it there was no doubt it gave me that "pleased to have seen it" vibe, because I still keep thinking about it today.
The craft designs were especially great, I really liked the Vos cruiser, the swoop bikes , the AT ST transporter, the train, and various glimpses of spacecraft and tech that nearly all definitely felt like they belonged in the OT era. I might just buy "The Official Guide".
The music annoyed me a bit though. It had the brilliant OT moments that were great to hear again, certainly around the Empire and Falcon but they really didn't need it to be so heavy at times, particularly during the more personal scenes between Alden and Qi'ra but again that might have been the cinemas fault as the volume was cranked up to earbleeding.
Yes it was dark in places, but only "in places". The rest of the film was fine and it gave all the various enviroments a definite identity. The pacing was a little uneven , but it was a great openning, even if the end felt a little flat and anti climatic. But it was very like a western in that sense of pay off.
I just hope alot of the SW fans who won't go and see this don't screw things up for themselves in the future. This was a very strong attempt to deliver the kind of film they actually most wanted and for the most part Lucasfilm delivered. It would be horribly ironic if the very thing they deny KK and co want to make for them is exactly what they were given and refused.

Yeah, but alot of that was self inflicted. Personally I still want to smack that reporter who dragged all that mindless crap up about Lando. Its THE ROBOT that seems to be "pan" delusional (and I did slightly shudder at the conversation she had with Qi'ra). Lando just seems to be cool, charming and pimp to everybody. He loved his ship like guys love their cars .
So yeah, I take most of all of what I was worried about back. Watching it there was no doubt it gave me that "pleased to have seen it" vibe, because I still keep thinking about it today.
The craft designs were especially great, I really liked the Vos cruiser, the swoop bikes , the AT ST transporter, the train, and various glimpses of spacecraft and tech that nearly all definitely felt like they belonged in the OT era. I might just buy "The Official Guide".
The music annoyed me a bit though. It had the brilliant OT moments that were great to hear again, certainly around the Empire and Falcon but they really didn't need it to be so heavy at times, particularly during the more personal scenes between Alden and Qi'ra but again that might have been the cinemas fault as the volume was cranked up to earbleeding.
Yes it was dark in places, but only "in places". The rest of the film was fine and it gave all the various enviroments a definite identity. The pacing was a little uneven , but it was a great openning, even if the end felt a little flat and anti climatic. But it was very like a western in that sense of pay off.
I just hope alot of the SW fans who won't go and see this don't screw things up for themselves in the future. This was a very strong attempt to deliver the kind of film they actually most wanted and for the most part Lucasfilm delivered. It would be horribly ironic if the very thing they deny KK and co want to make for them is exactly what they were given and refused.

I think you missed the point of my post. It was not a critique of Solo or in fact anything to do with it as I have not seen it and in all likelihood never will.

It would be horribly ironic if the very thing [boycotters] deny KK and Co. want to make for them, is exactly what they were given and refused.

I certainly understand their anger, but no boycotting here. I'll be seeing it today. However, I will not check my expectations, nor my SWIQ, at the door--as many have suggested needs to be done, in order to enjoy the film. It's STAR WARS! You had better believe I have expectations! Expectations guided by my SWIQ.

The Wook

Yeah the music jumped around a bit too much. In the maw scene alone it jumped between 3 different themes, for about 4 seconds each... PICK ONE!

I don’t disagree with that, I recently mentioned watching TLJ was a bit of a chore and somewhat nihilistic. I also have said Solo looked like fun and a great palate cleanser for those willing to give it a chance.

As for what was Howard and what was the first dirvtors, we'll never know for sure, but by DGA rules, the vast majority of the film would have to be reshot. I'd say the FX heavy set pieces were likely somewhat theirs purely from a production perspective.

I am seeing it tonight. In my sphere, across casual fans, good natured fans, and psycho EU purists the reactions are pretty evenly split between yay and nay.

ESB isn't fun. It's depressing as hell from A to B. It does, however, evoke WONDER, and I feel TLJ does that fairly well also (though others disagree). EDIT: I misread your statement, sorry! Anyhoo, I hope Solo defuses some of the disgusting vitriol TLJ inspired. I like both.

Forgot to mention the music...as with R1, it's pretty feeble. The only noteworthy music are the callbacks, which only serve to highlight how weak the score is. When TFA came out and I heard Rey's theme, I was enchanted. Sadly, that theme seems to have been a swan song for SW music. They don't make a new John Williams everyday. Solo's weak score didn't overly hurt my enjoyment though. In fact, though I love JW as much as any sane person does, while many praise the TPM score, I feel it was far too bombastic and overshadowed the rather tepid story. Yes, including the much loved Duel of Fates which is a great piece in isolation, but is utterly unearned on film. I'll take understatement over that kind of overkill, frankly.

ESB isn't fun. It's depressing as hell from A to B. It does, however, evoke WONDER,

To me ESB was as at the time and still is as fun as it gets. The return of Vader, metal laser spitting dinosaurs, the belly of gigantic space worms, dodging asteroids, little green wizard, carbonite frozen scoundrel, wow wow wow.

It will take more than a seemingly adequate anthology story with no real pay off to wipe away the foul taste of what came before it for me. Maybe its all just a little too soon perhaps, I`m sure i will watch it for free at a friends house when it comes out on Blu Ray soon but I`m not counting the days. The first Star Wars movie that I will not have seen in its opening week at the cinema. I am happy for those that got their fun back with it though as to repeat what was said recently, thats what Star Wars is all about,

Last edited:
I don’t disagree with that, I recently mentioned watching TLJ was a bit of a chore and somewhat nihilistic. I also have said Solo looked like fun and a great palate cleanser for those willing to give it a chance.

Umm, yeah, like just a week or so ago.

You see, this is why people don't trust your takes. Because you relentlessly defended TLJ for FIVE months, and now all of a sudden we're supposed to think you're balanced in your take on the film because last fracking week you finally came clean and admitted it was a difficult chore to watch??

And don't even try to say that you didn't know that all along, that your feelings about the film evolved.

Sheesh!

The Wook

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw it tonight. Went in not expecting much, but honestly I thoroughly enjoyed it. Of course Han could have been cast better, and some of the expected Disney jokes were daft. But overall it was quite a fun movie for me.

You see, this is why people don't trust your takes. Because you relentlessly defended TLJ for FIVE months, and now we're supposed to think you're balanced in your take on the film because last fracking week you finally came clean and admitted it was a difficult chore to watch??

And don't even try to say that you didn't know that all along, that your feelings about the film evolved.

Sheesh!

The Wook

No, I loved the movie because it was a challenge, it challenged my expectations. I never said it was “fun” I would never ascribe that. It had some fun moments but had a lot more heavy moments.

I am looking forward, however, to see you dine on crow after your baseless and relentless attack on this film as a “dumpster fire” “train wreck” etc. Doesn’t speak well to your own credibility and analytical acumen.

You see, this is why people don't trust your takes. Because you relentlessly defended TLJ for FIVE months, and now all of a sudden we're supposed to think you're balanced in your take on the film because last fracking week you finally came clean and admitted it was a difficult chore to watch??

Sheesh!

The Wook

I was trying to compose the same thing without coming across as a "bully", so thanks.

YOU TELL `EM BOSS

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back