Solo: A Star Wars Story

Used to be 5 days a week for me AND on the Lake Kayakking every day Plus 3 days a week at the dojo, now it’s just the Gym and Yakking everyday, ya get older and life gets in the way :unsure

I may need to make that my new signature line...

- - - Updated - - -

I ride 3X per week but also swim 3X and run 5X, so it's all about time management.

Seeing reports that China is a right off already. Ranger Solo may not last the week there.

It might be lucky to crack $20M in China. They have zero interest in this one.

- - - Updated - - -

Good God Man! You rode in that...in DC?! That kinda heat in DC knocks you on your ass just walking around the block!

For sure, humidity is brutal. It can be 100+ here but once you start to sweat it evaporates so quickly it helps keep you somewhat cool.

Back from Solo - and I had a bad feeling about this one from the get go.

The movie went places I didn't expect and parts I thought would be bigger didn't quite live up to expectations. Still, all in all, it's still solid and a well put together fun ride. With the crew that put it together - I expected nothing less. Ron Howard is more than capable and I'm fairly certain he salvaged what could have been a train wreck. There will be those that have nothing better to do than complain, complain, complain and rant and rave about Lucasfilm this and Lucasfilm that... but, it's best to let those bullies have their trainwreck they wanted and let them have the perverse joy they have in their misery.

Alden isn't Han - yeah, we all knew that going in. His stature isn't really an issue in the flick - yeah, it's apparent here and there, but it isn't as distracting as I expected (if you're looking for it - you'll see it). There were moments when he did look more like Harrison than I expected... but, mostly, it's his voice that throws me off. Don Glover was an adequate Lando, but didn't capture the swagger as much as I thought he might - but, he was still a lot of fun to watch. Woody Harrelson is Woody Harrelson and everyone else worked just fine.

Without getting too much into spoiler territory - there's a huge potential for this to carry on - without Han or Lando - and I really hope that avenue might be pursued with Favereau's upcoming series. I don't watch Game of Thrones, but I understand that there aren't a whole lot of episodes and an ending is in sight.

The story was fun. I thought the essence of the characters was captured very well. It's a fun ride and very much a Star Wars movie. I thought it did everything it needed to do and while I still feel it was an unnecessary movie, it was still enjoyable and a solid addition to the franchise we all know and love.

620ea72a0195669e54c416a7c358304f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got back seeing it with the kids, had a great time. Fun movie, no stupid SJW bull****.

In fact, I think they sort of parodied SJW B.S. with the whole droid rights thing!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Just got back seeing it with the kids, had a great time. Fun movie, no stupid SJW bull****.

In fact, I think they sort of parodied SJW B.S. with the whole droid rights thing!

Yeah, I thought the exact thing. The stupid "flirting" comment in context just made that droid look clueless, especially Qi'ra's face when it explained her relationship with Lando.

Speaking of which, and since this conversation will be moving to the post release thread anyway, check out the new ride from a race I did 2 weeks ago.
Nice Canyon! Were you able to obtain that before they allowed sales to US?

A friend here got one last year (mountain bike, not road) but had to be quite creative, as they wouldn't sell direct to US.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Hi all

Saw SOLO Wendnesday evening...and I like it! Since it is not part of the original story, even though connected of course, I did not expect anything. It's a cool movie, a bit too simple in some areas IMHO but in general very nice to watch. I am not too fond on the actor though, he lacks on heights and has no resemblance to "Han" as we know him. There was another guy who was casted (forgot the name) who would have been a dead match to Harrison Ford in his "American Gravity" years...too bad he was not choosen. All in all...way better then 7 and 8.

cheers
Uwe

PS: I really like freckles ;-)

I saw Solo yesterday and its no way a train wreck (though it has one in it). In someways it gets much closer to being like the very first SW movie, but yes it has some clumsy moments that pull it down as well. But they are a ton less than TLJ and I had alot of fun watching it.
I felt everyone was in pretty much in line with character expectations and even if the movie felt it was marketed more towards youngsters rather than the older fans, if the writing had been a notch or two better it would have satisfied both markedly.
I would also say it DEFINITELY did feel like Lucasfilm had actively been listening to some of the more constructive feedback made about the NSW movies. Perhaps it was because of Rons direction,maybe it was the reshooting but it felt alot closer to the spirit of ANH than I expected. So I enjoyed it way more than TLJ and TFA, though its still somewhat behind R1 and the originals.
I hope more people go to see it, particularly SW fans who may have held off in protest. If it doesn't do well enough then the Lucasfilm won't let the series go in this direction again and that would be a bad choice on their and our behalf. I'd happily watch a Solo sequel if it continuses to go this way.

Nice Canyon! Were you able to obtain that before they allowed sales to US?

A friend here got one last year (mountain bike, not road) but had to be quite creative, as they wouldn't sell direct to US.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

One of the first US SLX’s! They are our team sponsor and I gotta hook up. :)

So which parts were ‘original’ (Lord and miller’ and which reshoots (Howard)? I’m guessing the finale on location in lanzarote is L & M as there was no press coverage other than the first time they shot there and to reshoot on location would have been very expensive.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back