Solo: A Star Wars Story

Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo)

Pure damage control. The sizzle reel presentation was a month ago. And here is the key line from the article:

"Of course, Disney licensees aren’t going to openly criticize a short teaser of a tentpole."

Possibly but it also could speak to the rumors that a lot of what they have is good and the issues really are predicted on tone as opposed to performances. I tend to believe that Alden was part of the initial raising some alarms as to how the film and his character was being portrayed as directed.

Last edited by a moderator:

I've read in one of these articles that the scenes worked on their own, but when strung together, were tonally wrong.

OR... My theory...

Off the heels of JUST releasing the abysmally bleak and miserable "Rogue One" (a big success financially!), a fun turn to lighthearted adventure was too much of a 180 for some Disney minds... It may have been that "Star Wars" to "Rogue One" wasn't a big leap in tone from popcorn flick to war flick (but a leap for sure), and "Star Wars" to "Han Solo" wasn't a big leap in tone from popcorn flick to humorous western (probably won't ever know) but "Rogue One" war movie To "Han Solo" humorous western may have been just too much.

I binge watched 4 seasons of Game of Thrones, then switched over to binge watch Community again. It was like jumping from a hot tub into a bucket of ice. Took me a while to get into comedy again.

Pure damage control. The sizzle reel presentation was a month ago. And here is the key line from the article:

"Of course, Disney licensees aren’t going to openly criticize a short teaser of a tentpole."

Quite often it feels like Disney has someone here on the RPF doing damage control for them. Gotta nip that negativity in the bud, right? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

I think Ron Howard is overrated and I feel he lacks nuance in his storytelling.
With the sole exception of Apollo 13, I don't believe he had a single memorable film - at least for me.

I didn't like Willow which was loaded with overtly saccharine sentiment.
Cocoon was just as bad - especially in its "message" or lack thereof. It was a contrived plot constructed as an excuse for sequences of elderly actors acting youthful.
A Beautiful Mind was overrated as was EdTV.
Grinch was just pure uninspired cringe. I had my kids watch the cartoon instead.

Ron Howard never impressed me particularly as a director. I don't think he's "bad" but his directing never spoke to me. Apollo 13 was good mainly because it was a great story. To Howard's credit I didn't see much of his footprints in the film.

I'm even less enthusiastic than ever about the Han Solo film now.

But I know I'm in the minority since he's a celebrated director.

But I'm always open to being pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:

With the sole exception of Apollo 13, I don't believe he had a single memorable film - at least for me.

Cocoon was just as bad - especially in its "message" or lack thereof. It was a contrived plot constructed as an excuse for sequences of elderly actors acting youthful.
Grinch was just pure uninspired cringe. I had my kids watch the cartoon instead.

Ron Howard never impressed me particularly as a director. I don't think he's "bad" but his directing never spoke to me. Apollo 13 was good mainly because it was a great story. To Howard's credit I didn't see much of his footprints in the film.

Parenthood? Backdraft? Heck I even liked Far and Away but I'm sentimental. :)

I have also never liked his films. In a way, I feel the same about him as I do Tim Burton. At the heart, their films are actually poorly paced, lack character and are boring.

Ron is the perfect Hollywood director. He's like the template. But that also means his films are too dry for me.

Which means that I think he will be perfect for star wars. The franchise could use someone with an old-school approach. Someone who doesn't necessarily used flash in the pan ridiculous set pieces that seem to overshadow an actual plot. Someone who plans the movie out and recognizes, beforehand, things that don't work.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

[Ron Howard is someone] who plans the movie out and recognizes, beforehand, things that don't work.

A little late for that.

I don't know what to think about Ron Howard stepping in. Because I have no idea what his SWIQ is.

Bryancd is fond of saying that the people working on these films care deeply about Star Wars. That may be true. But it doesn't matter, their films will suck, if they have low SWIQs. I know lots of people who care deeply about Star Wars, who have woefully inadequate SWIQs, and would make absolutely dreadful Star Wars movies.

The Wook

More movies = more variety. It's inevitable. The prequels branched out in many ways from the OT. There will be more branching out from here.

Disney already did a new SW movie that was very, very OT-traditional. That ethos got very high praise from most people in the years leading up to TFA's release. Then everyone walked out of the theater and began complaining about the lack of originality

Disney already did a new SW movie that was very, very OT-traditional. That ethos got very high praise from most people in the years leading up to TFA's release. Then everyone walked out of the theater and began complaining about the lack of originality

The only thing "OT-traditional" about TFA was that it stole the plot of ANH. Every bit of magic in ANH was lost In the retelling.

The Wook

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back