Solo: A Star Wars Story

OK, so I just watched those Age of Adeline clips because I, quite frankly, wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I had no idea that kid was playing a young Ford. Like I said before, I don't know anything about him or that movie. But after watching that, wow, one can only wonder. Maybe he couldn't carry a whole film, maybe his audition failed, maybe they were worried about the impression (dial it back just a little), etc, but for those very few moments, man I sure felt like I was watching a young Harrison Ford / Han Solo. Not going to discredit AE because I haven't seen Solo yet, but wow. For me, it all comes down to whether or not the actor makes me believe I am watching a young Harrison Ford / Han Solo, and I'm not gonna lie, that clip of AI made me believe......interesting.

Last edited:
Funny, I never considered Solo to be the Falcon's pilot during the Kessel run, I can't remember why. He doesn't speak of it as his achievement in the cantina but then proudly declares he did outrun the cruisers.

All these years lol!

In the Wraith Squadron books, they make a fake Millennium Falcon to make it appear like Han and Leia are visiting some specific planets. I don't remember the details, but they put some kind of fake panelling or fake cargo on it that is actually a bomb which they can damage a larger ship with. Maybe that's what the nose section is or something like that? If you have a ship trying to capture you, you jettison the nose/bomb and it rams into the enemy ship.

First impressions are important and by the lack of any discussion, AE didnt make a great one. McDisney had a long time to craft one.

The only reason alden ehrenreich is in this movie is because he met Spielberg at a Bar Mitsvah a few years back. He then recommended along with Copolla to Disney.

He may or not be a good actor, but he looks nothing like Ford, sounds nothing like Ford, and is too short.

Ive heard the Ingruber guy didn't even get an audition.

That shows you how this hollywood system works, knowing people in high places can get you lead roles in movies. Its nothing new, its been going on for years.

Its thanks to the whingers, they cried like babies when Georgie Lucas did his prequels, and now that he sold it off to Disney, you can see Disney have no clue whatsoever about respecting previous history, its all down to the money.

Someone else said this, and i agree, that Alden looks more like Ray Liotta than Harrison Ford.

ray-liotta-9542538-1-402.jpg

13-alden-ehrenreich.w710.h473.2x.jpg

Whereas here is Ingruber with Ford side by side.
Not sure what Disney was thinking, but it certainly wasn't thinking about giving a more familiar look to Han Solo by choosing Alden, with the aim of making you actually believe the actor is a younger version.

harrison-ford-talking-about-anthony-ingruberb.jpg

let's see what Ronnnie Howard has salvaged from this movie.

Last edited:
Not sure what Disney was thinking, but it certainly wasn't thinking about giving a more familiar look to Han Solo by choosing Alden, with the aim of making you actually believe the actor is a younger version.

let's see what Ronnnie Howard has salvaged from this movie.

If I were Ron Howard, coming into this movie after they already cast and shot most of it, I would have a scene toward the end where Han gets in a crash and wrecks his face, they take the bandages off after surgery and you have Ingruber as Han, setting up a Solo sequel with a more convincing Han actor. Or at least have Alden Ehrenreich's Han get a busted nose so he looks (and maybe sounds) more like Han. Just a thought. ;)

Last edited:
Two words oddly put together “millennium” and “falcon”

Must be a reason for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the real world (LFL & ILM)....the original design for the Pirate ship was abandoned because of the Eagle from Space 1999

So the new design gets the name Millennium Falcon........maybe names after the 1999 Eagle?

J

Question for those who are struggling with Alden not resembling Han. Do you feel the same way about Glover not resembling Lando? General observation from my social media feed and podcast conversations people seem really excited about Glover as Lando and we haven’t even heard him deliver any dialogue as of yet. It’s a curious bifurcation of responses to what should be a similar issue.

These guys look nothing like each other...

View attachment 794368

...yet, life goes on.

I know you're making a bit of a joke, but that's not really an apt comparison. Recasting an actor due to health problems during a sitcom's run in the 70s is far different than casting an actor to play a younger version of an iconic role that is very much tied to a specific actor. SOLO also had the luxury of time in casting the role that BEWITCHED didn't. Why not at least audition an actor that actually looks, sounds and acts like Ford? Wouldn't a lot of Star Wars fans want to see a Han Solo movie with an actor that is more like the Han Solo they know from the four previous movies that featured the character, not to mention the video games, comics and toys that have featured Ford's likeness over the last 40 years? That makes him more of a pop culture icon than just a role in a movie.
By comparison, Ewan McGregor did a good job emulating Sir Alec Guiness's voice as a young Obi Wan, and looked enough like him to be a believable younger version of the actor/character, though since he was playing a much younger version of the character, it was also easier to not make direct comparisons to how he differed from Guiness. Casting an actor as a slightly younger Han Solo than when Ford originated the role messes with the suspension of disbelief of the viewer. It's a larger barrier for us to jump to say about Ehrenreich that "this guy is Han Solo" than if they cast an actor that looked like Ford and did a better job embodying the characteristics of him in the role of Han Solo.

I think one BIG reason I am giving AE and this whole project the benefit of the doubt, is because I've already lost "my" Han once, in ROTJ. Seeing him reduced to a pouting, jealous baby at the end was painful. Indeed, the whole thing had a "Let's get the band back together and $$$" vibe that felt gratuitous after a film as weighty as TESB, and cheapened Han (admittedly, I do chalk some of this up to tone). I just want some semblance of a Han that was strong-willed, charismatic, and layered, back in my life. Maybe AE isn't the perfect vehicle to give that to us, but hey, neither was Harrison Ford in 1983.

As always, IMHO.

Han in Rotj... did he consider stabbing his nephew in the back while he sleeps? That was the biggest coward move of ANY hero from ANY movie I’ve ever seen.

ROTJ Han was AWESOME in comparison. The ST is dead to me, so that is the sole reason I’m giving future stand-alone a a chancetill they let me down. So far they have a 95% rating in my book IMHO

I'm 30min up the 101 from you, cowboy.

- - - Updated - - -

This is trilogy is about Rey and Kylo. Full stop. Everything about TLJ was about advancing their story above all others.
With all the Disney stuff you keep up with I assumed you were somewhere in social.

I'm out on the west side of the valley.

Question for those who are struggling with Alden not resembling Han. Do you feel the same way about Glover not resembling Lando? General observation from my social media feed and podcast conversations people seem really excited about Glover as Lando and we haven’t even heard him deliver any dialogue as of yet. It’s a curious bifurcation of responses to what should be a similar issue.

People have decided Glover is cool (kinda like the Benedict Cumberbatch orgy of internet nerd glee that swept the webz a few years back) so he's safely on the "can do no wrong bandwagon." I'm sure he's fine, and I think he looks great, but...he doesn't look any more like BDW than Alden looks like Ford.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back