Solo: A Star Wars Story

Aw Come-On!

May the 4th be with you.

That is some awesome space cheese for ticket sales especially since, in the beginning, Han didn't believe in the Force.

Self-lower your SWIQ points :p

Lol

Of course, May the Fourth makes sense, in that sense. It just seems late to me. Perhaps suggestive that they're expecting a bomb. I mean, didn't R1 tickets go on sale much earlier?

My initial scepticism is slowly being worn away with the tv slots. Dammit! Even get an ‘I am groot’ comedic Vibe from the Chewie scenes

Don't be lulled.
Just because the marketing department put an apple in an orange peel doesn't change it's core nature.

I'll retain my doubt so that I can be pleasantly surprised.
I like to be positive but in this case if I build up hope that is an opening for disappointment greater than TLJ.

This is interesting. Solo to release in China same day as North America.

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/201...ease-solo-in-china-earlier-than-expected.html

I'd say Disney is doing this for two reasons:

1) They're anticipating a dismal North American opening, and want to be able to bolster that anemic figure by talking global box office instead, by including whatever opening haul--however meager--they can get out of the world's second biggest market.

2) Again, anticipating a dismal NA opening, they don't want news of that to damage the business it would do in China if the film's premiere there were to be delayed, as is the normal custom. It's a distinct possibility this film could be labeled a box-office bomb in the U.S. by its second weekend--or even its first. I think they want to extract whatever they can from the Chinese movie-goers as quickly as possible.

The Wook

It’s also possible there’s features in China with a release they don’t want to compeat with. Not every single move that seems different than the last means they think they have a stinker. Honestly, the biggest indicator of a studio not having faith in a film is to bail on marketing. I’m seeing ad buys everywhere I look for Solo.

I'd say Disney is doing this for two reasons:

1) They're anticipating a dismal North American opening, and want to be able to bolster that anemic figure by talking global box office instead, by including whatever opening haul--however meager--they can get out of the world's second biggest market.

2) Again, anticipating a dismal NA opening, they don't want news of that to damage the business it would do in China if the film's premiere there were to be delayed, as is the normal custom. It's a distinct possibility this film could be labeled a box-office bomb in the U.S. by its second weekend--or even its first. I think they want to extract whatever they can from the Chinese movie-goers as quickly as possible.

The Wook

Thats what you want to happen but no. It accomplishes a few things, most important it can limit damage done by piracy. Having a synchronized global release really makes much more sense.

It’s also possible there’s features in China with a release they don’t want to compeat with. Not every single move that seems different than the last means they think they have a stinker. Honestly, the biggest indicator of a studio not having faith in a film is to bail on marketing. I’m seeing ad buys everywhere I look for Solo.

You may be right. But I suspect they think they've got a bomb on their hands and don't know what to do with it.

https://media.giphy.com/media/xUPGcFJ4Pjymjrt3xe/giphy.gif

The Wook

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back