Solo: A Star Wars Story

I can’t! Every time I post anythin g political (usually respoinding to somebody crying about how SJWs are ruining their lives) I get reported!

Easy. Because when the PT came out I was a 20-something, fresh out of film school, chip on my shoulder having punk with a superiority complex. Now I am a 40-something, family man and a working TV and movie screenwriter who has had gotten his fair share of hatemail because I took risks with a beloved franchise character. I gained some perspective about how Hollywood works, how movies get made, and how screaming babies on the internet are not representative of anything.

Also, fandom has become infinitely worse in the almost 20 years since TPM came out thanks to social media giving everybody a voice with no requirements of empthy or respect, and a sense of community amongst as*holes to the point that they feel they have said agency and ownership of their chosen franchise. I don’t require anybody to share my opinion, but I also enjoy debating on why I think they are wrong. But when somebody starts to actively try to ruin other people’s joy, I don’t like it. I also don’t like absurd generalizations that are borderline hate speech or dragging politics into talk about Star Wars. So when I see that crap, I call it out.

So the short version is: I grew up.

But given that I disagree with most everything you say, I doubt you’ll find this answer satisfactory and will proceed to make random quotes or comebacks to try and make me seem like a hypocrite— of which I am not interested in responding to.

giphy.gif

The opening crawl is hillarious....

Regardless of the rest of this, I would be immensely thrilled if they would just frikkin' drop George's faulty-memory take on the opening crawls that he started in RotJ. For the first two films, the only words in all-caps in the OT crawls were "DEATH STAR" -- the proper name of a space vessel, that would normally be italicized. Starting with RotJ, George started treating it like script slugs -- where the first mention of a thing is all-caps to catch the eye while skimming. This helps actors find where their character entrance is and such. This was inconsistently part of the way the old title cards for serials like Flash Gordon were done, so I know where George was coming from. But considering he didn't do that for the first two films (except in very clunky form for the first draft of the Star Wars crawl), he should have stuck with that for consistency. Subjectively, I far prefer it that way, as the all-caps for anything other than vessel names comes across as random shouting to me.

Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo)

now that's funny :thumbsup Imperial Zamboni, local bulk combines...I almost fell out of my chair!
The statement is now "I've outrun Imperial Zamboni. Not the local bulk combines mind you, I'm talking about the big Corellian ships."

I saw there's reports that this is another one of the highest pre-sells for tickets, but I just went to book tickets this weekend and one thing I am noticing across the theaters I have checked for multiple showings..... is there is A LOT of seats available in every showing still. A LOT. When Avengers Infinity War was heading toward the final week or two before release there were only crappy seats left in most showings.

So maybe elsewhere around the country the level of pre-sells must be higher, or the stories are complete BS and there won't be a very good turnout this weekend.

I so badly want to be wrong about this film. I hope it's great.

I saw there's reports that this is another one of the highest pre-sells for tickets, but I just went to book tickets this weekend and one thing I am noticing across the theaters I have checked for multiple showings..... is there is A LOT of seats available in every showing still. A LOT. When Avengers Infinity War was heading toward the final week or two before release there were only crappy seats left in most showings.

So maybe elsewhere around the country the level of pre-sells must be higher, or the stories are complete BS and there won't be a very good turnout this weekend.

I so badly want to be wrong about this film. I hope it's great.

Dude, I was just about to post the same exact thing. My ticket's not 'til tomorrow, but just for fun I checked availability a few minutes ago for showings tonight at three of the top theaters here in Whale's Vagina, and was stunned to see so many seats still there for the taking.

I have a strong suspicion those reports you heard are complete BS.

The Wook

Half an hour until showtime, first show, and I'm literally the only one here. No sense that this is an event, none of the usual SW festival atmosphere. Doesn't bode well.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back