Solo: A Star Wars Story

Movie critics are absolutely useless to me, professional or amateur. I never, ever, understood them. Ever. What appeals to one may not appeal to others. I like chocolate, and no matter who or how many times someone might try and tell me chocolate doesn't taste good, I will never change my mind. The Last Jedi received some good reviews from professional reviewers and fans alike, I was disappointed. Neither is right or wrong (but boy oh boy am I compelled to say they're wrong on that one, but I won't :)).

I don't think any critic should ever say "this movie was good / bad". I enjoy a healthy debate about what we liked / disliked and critics should simply say that, here's what I liked / didn't like and here's why.

For me, movie critics and professional reviewers are on the same level as telemarketers, they should quit and find real jobs.

Sorry, that was a bit of an unnecessary rant....................

I keep hearing and reading defenders of new SW saying they are good movies and that people’s expectations are the problem. Now we are getting reviews for Solo telling us to leave expectations at the door.
If we are not meant to have expectations for these movies, stop using the original characters for marketing and stop labelling them Star Wars. The standard was set in 1977 and 1980.

I’ll leave my expectations at the door............right next to your creativity!

Movie critics are absolutely useless to me, professional or amateur. I never, ever, understood them. Ever. What appeals to one may not appeal to others. I like chocolate, and no matter who or how many times someone might try and tell me chocolate doesn't taste good, I will never change my mind. The Last Jedi received some good reviews from professional reviewers and fans alike, I was disappointed. Neither is right or wrong (but boy oh boy am I compelled to say they're wrong on that one, but I won't :)).

I don't think any critic should ever say "this movie was good / bad". I enjoy a healthy debate about what we liked / disliked and critics should simply say that, here's what I liked / didn't like and here's why.

For me, movie critics and professional reviewers are on the same level as telemarketers, they should quit and find real jobs.

Sorry, that was a bit of an unnecessary rant....................

The situation we have today is unbearable as it seems Disney are the ones that have control of all the major blockbusters and franchises that seem to be going on for perhaps decades. Just Star Wars and Marvel content alone are enough to keep food on the tables of critics, shareholders and related content makers . There is no way they are going to put that at risk buy not jumping on the blind promotion and lavish praise train. Self interest will always win. Always.

This is only going to get worse if Disney is allowed to swallow up Fox and its related content

I keep hearing and reading defenders of new SW saying they are good movies and that people’s expectations are the problem. Now we are getting reviews for Solo telling us to leave expectations at the door.
If we are not meant to have expectations for these movies, stop using the original characters for marketing and stop labelling them Star Wars. The standard was set in 1977 and 1980.

I’ll leave my expectations at the door............right next to your creativity!

giphy.gif

I found this review, "Solo: A Star Wars Story is a long, boring, space slog," from the New York Post (very high quality) entertaining:

"It's 'How I met your Wookiee'!"

"'So Long' is more like it."

"Emilia Clarke...is far more interesting when flanked by dragons."

"Out-of-place Harrelson wins the Laura Dern 'What Am I Doing Here?' Award for this flick."

Regarding the villain, "You’ll forget him by the time you reach the parking lot."

"'Solo,' sadly, should be frozen forever in carbonite."

Regardless, I'll be seeing it at some point.

Not defending the movie, but I must point out that expectation is NOT the same as critique. Expectations are what you want out of a film, critiquing is when you judge a film on what it is, not what it should be. As is stands, too many people these days judge films on their expectations, rather than what the film actually is. "The movie didn't support my ridiculous fan theory! The movie should have done this! The movie should have done that!" Too bad! The movie didn't do what you were expecting. Do people realize how freaking boring movies would be if every one of them was the same predictable slop? People used to think an unpredictable story was a good thing. People used to like surprises. Now "surprises" have become synonymous with "bad storytelling because it didn't go my way." Too damn bad! The writers decided to tell the story they wanted to tell. People are so damned entitled these days. Something's automatically bad if it didn't go their way. I'm sick of this spoiled brat attitude from the audiences. Shut up, enjoy the movie, and when you have legitimate gripes about say, plot holes (and I mean REAL plot holes, not "they broke my personal interpretation of how the Force works"), or dialogue, or pacing, or anything like that then we can talk. Not, "They ruined my interpretation of Luke Skywalker by making him a old man instead of the sprite 20-something he was 40 years ago!"

Sorry I'm unloading on you, Moo, but it just kinda sparked in me and I had to get that out.

But yes. Check your expectations at the door, and you MIGHT end up critiquing the film fairly.

I think you're missing the bigger picture, which is that Hollywood screenwriting ain't what it used to be.
There's a scientific formula for screenplays now, and every preconceived blockbuster must follow it.
That's why movies have become so predictable and boring.
That's why they all feel like the same movie. Because they practically are.

Now that Cannes has come and gone, are there any (credible) plot synopses out there? I'm not buying that one that came out after the L.A. premiere, which put
Darth Maul
in the film. God, I HOPE that one's bogus.

Any links would be appreciated, for a full spoiler story synopsis.

Thanks,

The Wook

I’m inclined to believe it’s true and it does jibe with the canon from The Clone Wars.

- - - Updated - - -

I’m inclined to believe it’s true and it does jibe with the canon from The Clone Wars.

I have about 4 podcasts in my queue with spoilers that will likely mention it, I’ll circle back and let you know.

I disagree, brother DaddyfromNaboo. The question is: does Alden make me believe he's a young Han Solo?

I have removed myself so far from this that I even do not ask myself that question. If he is a likeable character I am totally satisfied. It is similar to that Bay Turtles movie, I enjoyed it, although it wasn´t about my Turtles. E.G. I try to do this a lot with many franchises I hold dear. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. I can hate the reboot, but like the movie if it is well made.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back