Solo: A Star Wars Story

Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo)

Another good article providing more context.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/heat-vision/star-wars-han-solo-movie-firing-new-details-behind-phil-lord-chris-miller-exit-1016619
It seems like KK and LFL really, really tried to right this ship before taking the highly unusual and drastic step of firing Lord & Miller.

A couple things stood out...

- hiring an acting coach for Alden Ehrenreich. An acting coach? Is this yet another sign that they hired the wrong actor to play Han?

- Lord & Miller apparently could still end up helming DC's Flash movie. They reportedly met with DC during a break in Han Solo; while I feel the DC movie-verse is lacking in some lightheartedness that Marvel has... is the rumored approach of L&M really the way DC should go?

Last edited by a moderator:

- hiring an acting coach for Alden Ehrenreich. An acting coach? Is this yet another sign that they hired the wrong actor to play Han?

To me that part read as they were troubleshooting from multiple angles to see why they weren't getting the performances they wanted, then finally came to the conclusion that it wasn't the acting, it was the direction (or lack thereof) that was the issue.

Sounds like Lord and Miller might have had good intentions but were in over their heads. This line about the crew reaction is very telling:

"But Lord and Miller were not prepared to have Kasdan become a shadow director. With an impasse reached, Kennedy finally pulled the trigger. The next day, when the crew was told that Ron Howard would take over as director, sources say they broke into applause."

To me that part read as they were troubleshooting from multiple angles to see why they weren't getting the performances they wanted, then finally came to the conclusion that it wasn't the acting, it was the direction (or lack thereof) that was the issue.
Admittedly, that did cross my mind - that perhaps they were trying to give the directors every opportunity to get things going in a proper direction. That KK/LFL were trying to send a message. But, still it does seem odd that they would pin that on the actor - who already has a lot to overcome.

Lord and Miller sound like buffoons, who have no idea how to direct a movie, or deal with crew or actors. However, it's very unlikely that is the case. Right?

Lord and Miller sound like buffoons, who have no idea how to direct a movie, or deal with crew or actors. However, it's very unlikely that is the case. Right?

I didn't get that impression from the article at all. To me it seems like they just have a certain style that doesn't fit when you're doing a movie thats part of a franchise. KK\LFL\Disney have a merchandising machine that they're running with Star Wars. Every part has to fit perfectly and do its job. If it doesn't, you have to fix it. Clearly L&M know what they're doing as directors. They have a proven track record. They just weren't suited for this particular job.

The odd disconnect is that it seems well known that Kasdan is a firm believer in you shoot what's on the page and yet Lord and Miller decided to go a different route apparently.

I'm kind of puzzled as to why Kasdan is being talked about like a god who can do no wrong. Han has been written as if he's a different character every time. For years it was a huge complaint about RotJ, that Han was completely different than he was in the previous two movies (personally I didn't notice and was ok with Han in that film.)

Now for some reason Kasdan's dialogue for Han is etched in stone and not to be toyed with by the directors. Never mind that Han's most quoted line was improvised.

I never thought Solo was all that different in ROTJ, either, just a little goofier. And he finally gets himself a girlfriend who smells a lot nicer than a wookiee (no offense to The Wook). Can't blame a guy for that.

But I don't think you can really lay the blame for character faults in ROTJ on Kasdan. Harrison Ford wanted to sacrifice Solo for the greater good of the story and Kasdan agreed (so do I). Lucas was the one who shot that idea down.

In fact, the Rinzler book on ROTJ has a few pages from the story meeting transcripts from July, 1981 where Lucas, Kasdan and Marquand sit around a table and hammer out the storyline. It's really interesting stuff. Kasdan repeatedly presses Lucas to explore better options for the entire movie. Lucas sort of humors him but is ultimately dismissive and comes across like a guy who just wants to wrap things up (can't blame him after devoting an entire decade to those first three movies). So it's more likely Lucas is to blame for a watered down version of Han Solo in that movie, not Kasdan.

I'm fine with how Han was in RotJ. No complaints from me, I just heard a lot of complaints about that version of Han throughout the years. The version we got in TFA however, that's a different story, as far as I'm concerned. But I digress. Back to Solo....

Well, didn't Kasdan sort of create the version of Han Solo we've all come to accept as THE iteration of the character? And by that I mean the Han Solo seen in ESB. In ANH, he's just this dickish rogue, who kinda sorta comes back at the last minute to redeem himself. In Empire we start to see who he really is. Maybe thats why Kasdan's stuff is being treated this way.

There's also the Hollywood politics. Kasdan is kind of seen as a big deal by a lot of people. On top of that, he wrote this script with his son and there might be a bit of Kasdan really going to bat for his kid's script.

I think Ingruber looks like Ford, and dislike Costa's Han impression. I think this whole thing was a bad idea from the jump. I wonder if Disney wishes they had gone with Ansel Elgort (I think he was rumored) now that he's seemingly due for a big hit with Baby Driver. Train wreck or not I know I'll be there in the theater, but my hopes are not high

The pessimist in me is wondering if even Ron Howard might change his mind with this. When was the last time we got a film by Alan Smithee?

This whole story is insane, but I would take things like "The crew applauded" (as if relieved about getting Ron Howard) with a grain of salt.

I was part of another movie mess story last year (Sausage Party), and what actually happened versus what was reported was night and day. No exaggeration.

The kind of people that go to press with stories about how horrible the movie is going are usually the ones who bitch about the movie at every break... every party... every meeting.

So maybe only 2 or 3 people said "YESSSSSSS" under their breath at the firing of the directors... maybe the whole place had a drunken orgy after the announcement... either way, the printed stories on this versus the real story are probably only 30% correct.

They also may have applauded because, they recognized the name "Ron Howard". I'm not even kidding. "I know that name! He was on the simpsons in a ball cap and bathrobe!"

I was just at a meeting where our studio announced the next project we'd be working on... a pretty well known property.. The place erupted in applause. I was confused because while I knew the property, my first thought was "Who cares?"

But why the applause?

I asked around.

A few of them actually liked the property.

Some were just being team players.

Most said they were just happy to be still working and this was a guaranteed year or two of food on their plates.

But I could say to the trades "When we heard we were working on ______ the place erupted in applause!" and it would lead readers to believe we were all super fans and excited for that property.

Yeah no, mostly just happy to be working.

Just me being bitter, but I'm of the opinion that anything we hear in the next few weeks will be damage control for KK, even if it means respectfully tossing Lord and Miller under the bus.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back