Solo: A Star Wars Story

From my understanding maul being cut in half was a last second decision.

Some people to this day claim when they saw ep1 mauls body didn’t separate in 2 when falling down the shaft

I think Lucas always wanted to keep him, cut him in half last minute and regretted it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maul not cut in half was in case the film didn't get a PG rating. A few theaters reportedly received an incorrect copy of the last reel of TPM, LFL worked fast to swap them with the correct ending.

I love TLJ and most of the new SW... but bringing Maul back is the stupidest thing they've ever done.

When I heard & eventually saw Maul 'back from the dead' in the cartoons,....I thought it was stupid....when I heard he was going to be in the Solo film,....I was saying to myself, don't let this be true....After seeing him in the film,...& being played again by Ray Park,....I've got use to the idea

He is an alien....well in fact everyone in SW are aliens,....we see them as human like,....but who knows what their biology is made up like

J

An indelicate question...but I’ll ask it since Disney has created the issue.

How does Maul perform his bodily functions since he was cut right across the midsection?? Just slapping on a pair of mechanical spider legs would not solve not having a digestive system.

Where is his colostomy bag, at the very least? Or, does he use his awesome, colossal, mastery of the dark side of the force to “wish away” his bodily functions; like Anakin “wishes away” his feelings?

Last edited:
He's not human. Why would you assume his physiology is the same as ours? Also Disney did not bring Maul back. It was LFL pre buyout.

He's not human. Why would you assume his physiology is the same as ours? Also Disney did not bring Maul back. It was LFL pre buyout.

I demand answers to these pressing questions; it keeps me up at night. The balance of the Force depends upon it.

:)

I demand answers to these pressing questions; it keeps me up at night. The balance of the Force depends upon it.

:)

2.gif

They realized Maul was mysterious and badaas as Boba Fett. They want to oversaturate with Maul in any way they can. Maybe they found out oversaturation isnt a good thing and they used a new Mando in the new tv series instead of Fett. One cameo is fine, if he had a giant role, I would have lost it.

As for his species and anatomy, apparently he is half human? So his internals may be close to ours
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dathomirian/Legends

They realized Maul was mysterious and badaas as Boba Fett. They want to oversaturate with Maul in any way they can. Maybe they found out oversaturation isnt a good thing and they used a new Mando in the new tv series instead of Fett. One cameo is fine, if he had a giant role, I would have lost it.

As for his species and anatomy, apparently he is half human? So his internals may be close to ours
In new canon I believe fetts still being digested, and the timeline of the show being after jedi kind of rules him out, and fetts not mandolorian so a show about a mandolorian wouldn't really work for fett.

And fetts dead.

Human?.....we evolved on Earth,.....the Human-like characters we see in Star Wars were from a galaxy far away & a long time ago,....they can survive in space without pressure suits,....(Han, Leia & Chewie, inside a cave in a space slug, without pressure suit,...only a face mask).....(Leia, in the vacuum of space in TLJ)

Theres different laws of science in Star Wars,....biology can be another one

J

Human?.....we evolved on Earth,.....the Human-like characters we see in Star Wars were from a galaxy far away & a long time ago,....they can survive in space without pressure suits,....(Han, Leia & Chewie, inside a cave in a space slug, without pressure suit,...only a face mask).....(Leia, in the vacuum of space in TLJ)

Theres different laws of science in Star Wars,....biology can be another one

J

There are several clues that tell you the interior of the slug was not a hard vacuum. Such as the presence of dampness and flying animals, which indicate warmth and a pressurized atmosphere. But mostly, Star Wars is not science-fiction, it's fantasy. It trends toward folly trying to analyze it too deeply. At the end of the day, that was mostly just a scene in which the heroes have to hide and something interesting happens. It was not meant to demonstrate that Humans in SW could survive in vacuum without pressure suits.

There are several clues that tell you the interior of the slug was not a hard vacuum. Such as the presence of dampness and flying animals, which indicate warmth and a pressurized atmosphere. But mostly, Star Wars is not science-fiction, it's fantasy. It trends toward folly trying to analyze it too deeply. At the end of the day, that was mostly just a scene in which the heroes have to hide and something interesting happens. It was not meant to demonstrate that Humans in SW could survive in vacuum without pressure suits.

....Han & crew only find out the conditions AFTER they step out of the Falcon

But yep, my point is, as you say, SW is fantasy,....they aren't from our galaxy,...who knows what the 'Human' or other creatures biology is like.....Maul's species could have even regrown his lower half,....(a bit like DeadPool),....we don't know the rules.....so Maul Surviving doesn't't bother me...(Now)

J

From my understanding maul being cut in half was a last second decision.

Some people to this day claim when they saw ep1 mauls body didn’t separate in 2 when falling down the shaft

I think Lucas always wanted to keep him, cut him in half last minute and regretted it

I remember during an interview back in 1999, Lucas had said that in the original cut he was not cut in half. After the premiere in LA, they changed it because people thought he could have survived and he wanted them to know he died.

Edit: While this does not address that it was actually released this way. I found this article where Lucas discusses it.
https://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/star-wars-archive-george-lucas-1999-interview/

Last edited:
I remember during an interview back in 1999, Lucas had said that in the original cut he was not cut in half. After the premiere in LA, they changed it because people thought he could have survived and he wanted them to know he died.

Aaahh!! Your exactly right, I totally remember reading that now!

Finally saw this over the weekend, and I LOVED it! What a fun movie! I'm actually kind of bummed at how they'll probably never explore the potential for sequels, because I can see how Crimson Dawn would be a great "underworld" organization to act as a foil to Han, the Rebellion, etc., without directly involving the Empire. This could even play in to the rumored Obi-Wan "Star Wars Story" indirectly. That said, what I most enjoyed was actually all of the background information and fleshing out of the Star Wars universe that the film did (including lifting a bunch of stuff from old WEG sourcebook materials).

I think, ultimately, that the failure of this film was a financial one, not a storytelling one. The film itself is solid, but tapping Lord & Miller was......really stupid. You can see the humor infused into the film, and as it plays on screen, it plays well. But I can also see how all of those scenes could have been played WAY more for comedy and broad laughs, and how that wouldn't have worked and would have completely changed the vibe of the film. The thing that gets me is, when you hire the directors of 21 Jump Street, you ought to know what you're getting. I mean, yes, the Russo Brothers started in comedy, too, and now are directing some of Marvel's best films...but just because those guys did it doesn't mean that these guys could as well. That just strikes me as typical dumb Hollywood trendiness. Comedic directors can understand drama, but that doesn't mean ALL of them do. Nor does it mean that you hire guys who work primarily in the improv world for a precisely budgeted film. For all of the crap that Kathleen Kennedy has received for things I think she didn't deserve, she definitely deserves a dressing down for that.

And the thing is, if the film had stayed at something like $140-150M -- which it's possible it could have if not for the reshoots -- then it would have made enough money to at least break even. And if it had been marketed effectively, it might have made more. That said, I do think the "fatigue" effect is correctly recognized as a problem, especially given how divisive TLJ turned out to be. There needs to be more time to build up some anticipation to these films, instead of just "Eh, whatever. I'll catch it when it's on blu-ray."

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back